News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Lido at Clifftonville.  (Read 24193 times)

Rich

Re: The Lido at Clifftonville.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:29:45 »
Hi Kyn,
     thanks for posting the satellite pic.It has changed since i was there i remember that the entrance to the hall was down the steps to the  lower level and then in the doors  on the left.so quite obviously as the pic shows the whole area was the grand hall but being underground .

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History

Rich

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 20:55:39 »
Hi Fortknox0,
yes you was right.Belive it or not i have just found some footage of one of the raves.just typed in margate seduction lido and went from there.the film i watched  shows the public lining up while a robot keeps the crowds occupied and going into the Grand Hall,also the camera goes inside to show the chaps setting all the gear up.  i vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual    this is the link hope it works ok .

Rich

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 20:33:07 »
Hi Fortknox0,
          thanks for your reply.yeah it must be one huge area there.Of course as we was working we couldnt go snooping around lol.Just trying to get some feel of the place from Colins pics dont really remember much from these only that there seamed to be stairs everywhere you went .of well old age a guess ,but thanks for the posting .

fortknox0

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 20:20:33 »

Hi Rich,

I think the main dance floor is proberly the grand hall, its still there but doesnt get used for anything. The chill out area downstairs might be echoes which somtimes opens up in the summer.  The baths and changing area are further down, below the main promenade and there was stairs leading up to the beach. The place is like a maze you could spend hours down there. While we were down there we spotted a suspect bit of old wood on a wall which we removed. Behind it was a wall and beyond that were some chalk tunnels with an old well shaft!!!

Rich

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 20:09:55 »
Hi back in 1990,i use to  work as member of a security team at the "all night" Raves they had there.i think they were called Seductions.I can remember the main upper dance area that had a large flight of stairs leading up and out to the surface and also  down at the far of the dance floor end a flight of stairs took you down to another smaller dance floor.we called this the "chill out area" it had seating areas etc,if you couldnt handle the above hectic chaos lol.I dont know if these areas are still there or not or been pulled down and i really dont remember any baths being there.has the place changed much since then ...Rich 

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 16:32:51 »
18 October 1827

The Bathing Rooms

Great and absurd jealousy has been excited by the innovations and excavations under the eastern cliff.  They are entitled 'The Clifton Baths,' and are really objects to excite curiosity.  They reflect the highest credit on the skill, enterprise, and perseverance of the spirited projector.  We think, indeed we have no doubt, that public patronage will reward this ingenious and even magnificent undertaking.  They run thus:

1st.  Three rooms for the renter or occupier.  2d.  A reading room, 40 by 20, with a good organ.  3d.  The terrace, leading out of the subterraneous passage, in which are alcoves and a spacious walk, capable of holding many hundred persons.  4th.  Excavated arches several hundred feet in extent, forming the resemblance of the undercroft of a church.  5th.  Many hot baths: they will be supplied by a self-acting pump, from the sea.  6th.  A dome, 36 feet high, circumference 126 feet, supported by eight arches.  7th.  The west entrance to the dome, by a circular flight of steps, for foot passengers.  8th.  The carriage road, t and from the sands, arched with chalk, in a very curious and substantial manner.  9th.  An arched passage to the plunge bath, intended to be 120 feet long.  10th.  On the right of the last passage is another entrance to the plunge bath: the bath itself will hold 10,000 tons of sea water, to be changed every 12 hours by the action of the tide.  11th.  The out-works and piers are constructed exactly in the direction which nature and the effect of the sea may be supposed to produce.  12th.  All the rocks in front of these works are pared down and smoothed, so as to accommodate the sand.  The total quantity of chalk removed and excavated from these works during a period of three years, may be computed at 60,000 cubic yards.  13th.  From the top of the cliff to the sands, the height is 62 feet:  there is a carriage-road for pony-chaises through the whole extent.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 21:38:13 »
I say Lydo......

Lets call the whole thing off...you say.. etc ...etc ;D

It was decided on Lydo :)

I think they said it was Italian ???
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

jonesnet57

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 21:30:12 »
i say it as leedo :)

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 21:10:18 »
Interesting :)

Was listening to a prog on the radio the other day the argument was..

Is Lido pronounced Ledo or Lydo ???

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 20:49:46 »
A bit of info, i found this quite fascinating to learn about and want to see the plans!

In 1824 John Boys started construction on Clifton Seabathing Baaths, construction took four years to complete at a cost of 15,000.  The baths were constructed within the cliff face with the walls being lined in brick or chalk blocks and accessed via numerous tunnels, it has been estimated that roughly 40,000 cubic yards of chalk was excavated.  An engraving fro 1829 shows a gothic, fort like building with lancet windows, crenulated parapet and an obelisk shaped chimney.  The upper reservoir was heated whilst the lower reservoir was not.  The chimney served the boiler but was removed in the late 1800's, the bathing room provided consisted of seven hot baths, shower baths and hip baths for the use of the patrons and was divided between the men and women.  A waiting room was also constructed with reading material, a billiards table and an organ.  A bathers terrace was constructed in 1831 and a new chimney was added a few years later.  The baths consisted of a circular underground chamber  used for the storage of the bathing machines, eight alcoves are set into the wall, each constructed to house bathing machines, a tunnel leading from here led down to the lower reservoir, designed as a plunge bath for women and children.  The circular chamber was lined in Flemish bond bricks and is 42 feet in diameter and was circular to accommodate turning horses.  When constructed a domed roof 33 feet high was added however it was removed in the 1920's.  A tunnel was used to transport the bathing machines, pulled by horses, to the beach, this tunnel was around 100 feet long with a 13 feet high vaulted ceiling, this tunnel is now blocked with the original opening in view at the 'French Bar'.  In this area you can also see the flint revetment wall of the original bathers terrace.  Halfway along the bathing machine tunnel is another tunnel, the entrance tunnel, only the lower curving portion is still accessible with the later building blocking the rest.  To the west of the circular chamber a chalk block staircase exists, although badly damaged.  This staircase gave access to ground level above and provided access to foot traffic and at the north eastern end of the chamber was another tunnel, this one of 120 feet, gave access to the horse pump.  This tunnel was lined in brick with some knapped flints.  The horse pump provided water from the lower reservoir to the upper reservoir, along this tunnel is a smaller brick lined tunnel known as the Reservoir Tunnel which led to the lower reservoir.  The lower reservoir is a rectangular chamber of around 80 feet in length and 18 wide, one end of this chamber was rounded and was once open to the air through a large archway.  The chamber was cut into the chalk, the vaulted roof is lined with chalk blocks however the south western end is now riveted in brick.

In 1849 John Boys son, John Harvey Boys, acquired ownership of Clifton Baths, a map released due to a survey on sanitation in 1852 shows an underground plan of the baths, pointing out the circular dome, a tunnel leading to the north east, a reading room, bathing room, reservoir, tank and horse pump and other tunnels.  The site was sold in 1869 to Thomas Dalby Reeve w added a drill hall for the local Artillery Volunteers and a boiler hose with a tall chimney.  Ore adaption were carried out in 1876 with the introduction of ozone baths, produced by an electrical process, and again in the 1880's with an indoor salt  water swimming pool being constructed in the north eastern corner of the site.  1903 saw a cinema installed in the then redundant drill hall which survived until 1924, at this time a theatre/concert hall was added to the east of the pool but was later demolished.  Clifton Baths was remodelled in 1926 by John Henry Isles, the owner of Dreamland Amusement Park in Margate, bars, cafes, restaurants an seaside shops were added and a large open air swimming pool was added jutting out into the sea.  These new addition were constructed on top of the original baths and it is hoped that many of the original features still survive beneath the newer buildings.  A few original features can still be found around the site including a blocked cambered arch which is visible with the 'Jolly Tar Tavern' sited in the Lido, and is believed that the 'self-acting valves' may still remain within the brick-lined apron.  In 1938 the name changed to Cliftonville Lido.  A concrete curved staircase and gallery were added after 1962 when the upper reservoir space was used as a nightclub.

The remains of the earlier Clifton Baths are Grade II listed as it one of the earliest surviving examples of seawater bathing establishments in the country, the two earlier examples have been converted into residential accommodation.  The lower reservoir is likely to be the earliest sweater plunge bath in the country to survive and the circular chamber and machine bathing tunnel are the only known examples of purpose-built structures built to store and convey bathing machines to the beach.

The lido was finally closed in 1978 after a huge storm caused damage to the site, since then the chamber has been opened as a nightclub and other rooms have been reused however i do not think any of the buildings and rooms are now in use...

Monkton Malc

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 15:46:22 »
Does anyone remember "hades" nightclub that was at the lido?

Warm beer in plastic glasses and a purple sticky carpet and disco stomp by Hamilton Bohannan playing..

I think that would have been around 1975. I think that the lido suffered a lot of damage in the storm of 1978 that destroyed the pier.

I will try and find some pictures later.

Malcolm.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 15:20:03 »
Its so sad to see these Buildings in decay :'(

They were once a hive of activity and enjoyed by all ;D

What happened ???

Did we change  ???

Or did our Children change ???

Playstations,Computers.Internet,etc..........Why go out anymore ???

At least Wii have the "fit" gets you moving.....

WHAT HAPPENED?

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
The Lido at Clifftonville.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 14:51:38 »
Some photos I took yesterday.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines