News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Amusement Park  (Read 27510 times)

Deano

Re: Sheerness Amusement Park
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:06:53 »
YEAH...
The go-karts were under the big slide
They were electric karts but they didn`t have poles connecting the electric in the roof, think they got the power from the track underneath
it had a hill/raised bank at one end
we used to watch them for ages
dont remember ever being allowed on them but my older cousin did.

other things i remember....

The ride on the left, we called it the `in and outs` ride

The Octupus, used to be near the front entrance

Big wheel at the back,

Bouncy castle next to that,

At the back, on the right was the Veteran cars,
the little track used to run alongside the sea wall to near the big wheel and back

There was a train for the little uns with a tunnel and it went inside the arcade too,
where there was a fun house, dodgems, remote control boats, cafe, bingo

this was between `79-`85

darrenh

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 08:58:18 »
excellent  :)

i think its burnt in my memory because i was never allowed to go on it!

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 23:02:21 »
This is where the go-carts were Darrenh, under the slide.
( my wife's photo.)

darrenh

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 21:56:25 »
from butlins memories website...

1945, Billy Butlin buys Sheerness amusement park

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 20:09:55 »

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 19:08:26 »
I used to go here in the 60s mainly if memory serves to try and win a packet of fags on the crane slot machine,probably spent more than the fags were worth.We used to get thrown out sometimes for trying to tilt the penny falls machine.I did however get to be quite a good shot on the indoor rifle range{22 air rifles}tho I can't remember what the prizes were.
 Colin Haggart ,in about 1968 I held the putting green course record I used to spend hours there the lady in charge in used to let us have loads of free goes and our score cards were used time and time again
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 18:29:47 »
My memory is probably playing tricks but I seem to remember seeing a sign with `Butlins` on it. Was this one of Billy Butlin`s first amusement parks? I recall a ride with carriages which were either giant fish or sea monsters - went round and round and up and down.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 18:08:54 »
Myself and a mate were down there for a day in the 50s when the owner of a young childrens roundabout asked us to look after it for a while.It had no motor so had to be pushed round ,it was 3d a go after taking a few shillings we disappeared probally to a cafe but I dont remember :)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 17:39:33 »
I used to go on them many atime Darrenh.  If you look at the b&w photo, I think the cars you are talking about were underneath the top of the slide.

darrenh

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 14:13:46 »
does anyone remember (excuse me as i crudely try to explain) it was like a go-kart track, it had a roof like you would imagine a dodgem arena, but it was a large oval track and had elevations, dips and bumps as you went round.  cant remember if the vehicles were self propelled or ran off an electric roof grid like dodgems.

Deano

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 21:56:33 »
anyone got any pics of the Sheerness Amusement Park from the 70`s and 80`s  or any right up untill it closed....

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 08:30:39 »
I went on it once- guessing 1962-5, terrified!!! Whole thing shook and at one point you headed straight out to sea and suddenly veered right and dropped. Never been on one since. This was the roller coaster near the sea wall but I have a feeling there was a gentler version at the zoo end of the site

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 18:24:15 »
Hi, Seafordpete.
         I was being very complimentary by calling it a 'scenic railway'. To the best of my memory, I was 8 and it seemed huge, it was a very rusty steel roller coaster. Even the rails, I thought they were scaffold tubes, had a coat of rust and grime. I remember that it squealed all of the time and the crew were turning the winding motor on and off for each car. In the hour or so we were there I only saw one other car do the run. I think it was red and blue, I can't remember the colour of the car. It was that long ago I think there were still a few steam locos being broken up at Queenborough, 'cos I remember being told to sit still as I was bouncing all over the carriage looking at or for them. I am sure that the little saddle tank for the scrap yard was spotted amongst the weeds.
                                                                    Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 15:18:47 »
No scenic railway or "pylons"  or the dreaded dive bomber by then

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines