News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winget Ltd., Strood.  (Read 30201 times)

Offline lyn

• Appreciation 0
Re: Winget Ltd., Strood.
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 21:57:16 »
hi I too have one of these shields dated xmas 1934 any information gratefully received thank you
Hello All,

I have done a little research into a small aluminium tray I recently bought. I collect Royal Corps of Signals Badges and Commonwealth & Ex-Commonwealth Signals badges. I also collect the odd item associated with the Royal Corps of Signals.
A cast tray came up on Ebay recently and was an unusual piece so I bought it. It's a shield shaped aluminium cast tray approx, 5-1/2 " x 4". It shows the Rochester coat of arms with a Royal Corps of Signals badge in centre of the George cross over the 'r' in the centre of the cross. The Royal Signals badge is that was in use 1920 to 1947.
The marks on the back are not that easy to see but I made out: 'WINGET LTD.' and 'MAY 1937' which led me to this Forum and your posting making mention of 'Rabbits'. The tray is obviously not anything to do with Mixer Equipment so I assume it to be a 'Rabbit'.
My thoughts are that firstly May '37 would be when the Strood factory was being setup or not long after and the tray may have been made in the casting shop as a casting test piece or as a 'Rabbit'. Whoever made it may have been ex-Royal Signals perhaps they may have served in WW1 but had a connection of some kind to the Signals.
The tray is 76 years old this month, so the maker is likely long passed but someone on the forum may know of something that connects the dots, so to speak, Royal Corps of Signals, Rochester, Winget, May 1937 & Aluminium casting?

I don't appear to have the right to post attachments on the forum.  If you copy & paste this link below into your browser you can download the pdf of the bit of research I've done with photos.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46864288/R.Signals%20Tray.pdf

Regards,

Kolin098
[/quote]

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 13:19:52 »
Altho' I don't have a reply to your Winget history query (I was at Shorts - across the Medway - in 1945/47), your mention of Medway Velo brought back memories. My cousin, Eric Smith, was a founder member with like minded cyclists who wanted to do road racing/ mass starts, which was a no go with the RTTC/NCU to which the  local Medway Wheelers & M. Road Club were affiliated. The Velo was affiliated to the BLRC who organised the first Dover to London Road Race in the late 40's. Incidently, the Velo is the only one of the 3 left I believe, altho' the others had been going for very many years. Dave Smith

oobie

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 13:14:07 »
Did this go on to be Babcock-Winget? A relative of mine took on the company when Babcock and Winget split, and I was wondering if anyone knew the background to what happened. He and my family were also all involved in cycling and Medway Velo.

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 17:29:51 »
The date May 1937 was the Royal Wedding, perhaps this was made as a souvenir.

Kolin098

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 13:46:09 »
Hello All,

I have done a little research into a small aluminium tray I recently bought. I collect Royal Corps of Signals Badges and Commonwealth & Ex-Commonwealth Signals badges. I also collect the odd item associated with the Royal Corps of Signals.
A cast tray came up on Ebay recently and was an unusual piece so I bought it. It's a shield shaped aluminium cast tray approx, 5-1/2 " x 4". It shows the Rochester coat of arms with a Royal Corps of Signals badge in centre of the George cross over the 'r' in the centre of the cross. The Royal Signals badge is that was in use 1920 to 1947.
The marks on the back are not that easy to see but I made out: 'WINGET LTD.' and 'MAY 1937' which led me to this Forum and your posting making mention of 'Rabbits'. The tray is obviously not anything to do with Mixer Equipment so I assume it to be a 'Rabbit'.
My thoughts are that firstly May '37 would be when the Strood factory was being setup or not long after and the tray may have been made in the casting shop as a casting test piece or as a 'Rabbit'. Whoever made it may have been ex-Royal Signals perhaps they may have served in WW1 but had a connection of some kind to the Signals.
The tray is 76 years old this month, so the maker is likely long passed but someone on the forum may know of something that connects the dots, so to speak, Royal Corps of Signals, Rochester, Winget, May 1937 & Aluminium casting?

I don't appear to have the right to post attachments on the forum.  If you copy & paste this link below into your browser you can download the pdf of the bit of research I've done with photos.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46864288/R.Signals%20Tray.pdf

Regards,

Kolin098

sandynan46

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 17:48:38 »
Hello! I have been reading the messages about Winget with great interest, and I remember Dave Chalk too (ref. by Guest MC). My Father was a founder member of Winget, coming down to Strood in 1934 to help set up the foundry.  His name was Norman Chouings, and he was at Winget for 40 years until his retirement in 1974. My mother also worked there during the war and so, subsequently did my grandad, and my two brothers.  Would be interested if anyone remembers any of them.  I have 3 or 4 old Winget Life magazines, and in one there is an article about the plans to build the Kart track at Buckmore Park, with a picture of Peter Monk who was on the civil engineering sales team, and who I remember well coming to our house, as he and Dad were members of the Rochester Motor Club and did a lot of rallying together.  Dave Chalk would remember Pete too.
I look forward to hearing from anyone in the future.
p.s. my name is Sandra Harrod (nee Chouings)

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:59 »
My name is Dave West and I was also an apprentice at Wingets starting in 1960 and leaving in 1962 to join the RAF Maintenance Command as a Carpenter/Trainee Clerk of Works.
I have some very fond and funny memories of the time I spent in the Apprentice School and also in the Maintenance Dept,  George Coafield was the apprentice manager and I can remember his love of Vincent motorbikes which we would always be working on bits and making bits for them.

I remember George before he took over the apprentice school. He was the charge-hand in a small development area tucked away in the corner of one of the main workshops. It was the ideal place for "rabbits" (doing your own work). Winget work was always done but there was also ample time for homework jobs. I believe George had two Vincents but he always came to work on a push bike sometimes bringing in parts of one of the motor bikes. He was so enthusiastic that he polished up any moving parts inside the engines that were normally just rough cast until you could see your face in them.

5001sqdn

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 18:33:41 »
My name is Dave West and I was also an apprentice at Wingets starting in 1960 and leaving in 1962 to join the RAF Maintenance Command as a Carpenter/Trainee Clerk of Works.
I have some very fond and funny memories of the time I spent in the Apprentice School and also in the Maintenance Dept. George Coafield was the apprentice manager and I can remember his love of Vincent motorbikes which we would always be working on bits and making bits for them.
My Father, George West, also worked at Wingets as a Setter and then in the office as Stock Control Manager.
I used to commute from Gillingham with Pete Oram on a tandem which was always good fun except in the dodgy weather.
I would love to hear from anyone who was at Wingets at the same time, especially Brian Easdown who was apprenticed with me in the Maintenance Dept.

John Casson

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 22:25:58 »
Hello Kilclareman, or may I call you Enoch? You might remember me, but more likely to have known me as Jim. I remember you all, together with instructors Sam Spickett and Charlie Leonard, the only bloke who could spit in his own ear! I'd be delighted to get in touch.  Jiii-iiiiiimm

kilclareman

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 23:33:32 »
Having read the topic, I would like to add that I was apprenticed at Winget between 1957 and 1963 finishing in the maintenance shop. There were twelve new Apps. that year, the first to use the new App. School upstairs above the Oxygen store. I am trying to contact any of the other twelve apart from Ted Smith and John Huson (he was the other Millwright App.). Would be very pleased to discover anyone I knew there during my App. I have great memories of the place and the good time I had there. For me it was the best apprenticeship a person could ask for.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Name is Brian Hoare.

les freathy

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 14:50:48 »
One of a fleet of Seddon P6 trucks used by Winget in the 1950s

Offline N0SEY

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 21:53:02 »
I don`t like the look of the guy 3rd from the left  :)

frank53

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 20:03:12 »
Hey, new to the forum. I have a Winget pen drum mixer 5/3 and a half with a Lister D engine. It`s in a bad way and I was hoping someone had some info on them or history about the mixer, but what I`m really looking for is some detailed pictures or drawings. Thanks!

MC

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 14:32:18 »
I did not work at Wingets, but my best friend did, during the 60īs, his name is David Chalk. I went to see him at work a lot of times.  He does not have a computer, so will try to let him see the photos. We were both into cars, sports cars and racing cars.   MC

shaz

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:31 »
My dad and grandad worked at Wingets and i remember me and my brother going to the kids xmas parties, the boys had to sit 1 side of the room and girls the other :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines