News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winget Ltd., Strood.  (Read 30200 times)

peterD

Re: Winget Ltd., Strood.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 22:34:36 »
I worked at Wingets from 1966 to 1982 when it closed and everyone made redundent. I started working in the stores with Wally Ford.
After three years I went on a machine tool training coarse. Moving to the mixer machine shop, working on a Ward 7 turret lathe, then
on to a Ward 10 lathe. The mixer machine shop was amalgamated with the Syncro machine shop. I also machined the drums for the mobile concrete mixer lorries. This machine was in the profile shop. I moved onto the Herbert machining centre-a computor controled
machine - (CNC) in 1978.
My mother-in-law, Ivy Shearer, was the post room manageress, working in Wingets for over
 30 years.   

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 16:01:45 »
Very nice. I have one the engines (a Lister D) off one of those, unfortunately the previous owner scrapped the mixer because the drum was too rusty.

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 15:09:59 »
Nice to see photos of the mixer, well before my time I might add. It looks like the model is 5/3 1/2, so they maintained this style of numbering models for years. All it meant was 5 in and 3 1/2 out, by volume I presume.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 13:40:41 »
A new member, Chrisman, has kindly forwarded me these pictures of an old Winget Cement mixer that was (he assumes) made in Strood in 1937.  He restored it a couple of years ago and thought some of the members would appreciate a couple of photos of it.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:44 »
Hi Numanfan.
The bloke 2nd from the right looks like Tony Kane and old Strrod tough nut who also worked for Ozonair over at Larkfield at about the same time as I did in the late 70s.

Richard. Nice to hear you're going well and retired and like me gave up cycling years ago. I think girls gave me another interest :). My elder brother Jim  was in the cycling club as well along with blokes like Norman Bell, Bert Wakeham etc. Good fun in those days.
I thought your older bro was named Drew but I am obviously wrong! Like him all my family have lived in Oz for many years now but Jim (James he like to be known as now) lives in Switzerland.
/>Many good memories of those days.
Cheers.
Alan.

richard morphett

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 20:56:56 »
hi just seen your message on this site, i am richard morphett and worked in the foundry from 1958 until about 1967 when i moved to kent alloys for about a year before going to stone manganese marine for about 2years now retired and living in devon. my brothers name is john and he now lives in australia near sydney stil l quite fit but not cycling now!!!

Offline N0SEY

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 21:48:06 »
I can't remember why the theme that year was Pirates but there are two short videos stored on 'city ark' taken the year we had from steam to diesel as the theme and the parade was led by an old steam traction engine, manufactured in the Rochester factory. The guy in the centre is Ray Hicks, who worked in the training school until the remaining apprentices to found other employment, when the site closed. I was recently in touch with him, I wonder if he remembers the pirates

Offline N0SEY

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 08:55:18 »
A good place for him some would say, in the cage  :) I currently have an ex Winget apprentice working for me now of a little before that era (Malc Durling). Considering just how many apprentices went through the system there, I think I have only ever bumped in to maybe 4 after Wingets clossure.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 20:53:38 »
Welcome along Nosey.

Somewhere, I have the official group photo of the 1979 apprentices - so you must be in it! I'll try to find it & post it here.

It was nearly 30 years ago, but I still remember it was Sean Filkins in the cage.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline N0SEY

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 20:12:04 »
Couple of photos fom the early 80's. Taken on the 'Morrissons' side of Janes Creek, the blue buildings were taken over by Fisher Controls when Winget shut down

Health & Safety would have a fit nowadays, the fella is sitting in a flimsy metal cage with about half-a-ton of concrete mixer panels above his head! Still, everyone else was happy :)
For my sins, I was these lads apprentice training officer and I remember their faces well. I cant think who it could be in the cage but I can think of a few over the years that should have been in there

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 16:47:52 »
My photo, without the name on the wall.

merc

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 15:45:50 »

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 14:12:23 »
I started at Wingets in 1947 after leaving the RAF. As I was an ex Shorts fitter & turner apprentice I went on to a Ward 7 turret lathe. I met my wife there as she worked in the machine shop office as a clerk. Originally she worked in the tool room on a cylinder grinder but had to make way for the returning service men. I worked with at least 15 of the men seen in the works outing photo and the three shown on the sports day page were, from left to right, Jimmy Hopwood, M/c shop Superintendent, Doug Taylor, Foreman and Ernie Ambrose Winget Syncro Foreman. It was a great place to
 work, with everybody like an extended family. Later on I moved up into the new offices in the Process dept. I left before the closure and I am extremely sad to see what Medway council have done to the building.They did the same to Shorts works with no mention of it's contribution to flying history, but that's a another story 
It seems like we were probably work colleagues. I joined the Process office when it was on the balcony and then moved up to the top floor of the new building. It does appear strange that the old building was reported to have subsided. There was no evidence on the outside and it survived all of the pile driving that went on for the new offices in the sixties without any ill effects.

Merv

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 23:46:46 »
I worked at Wingets myself in the early 70's, my Father worked for a while in the refridgeration department.
I was based in the Vibration department just behind Guards clothing manufacturers and opposite the Cricketers pub(now the Alma)
We had an old Misson hut.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 22:57:12 »
And had they chucked the poor bloke in the river first ? there's a lot of water round the cage lol.

He probably wished it had been just water! It was mixed with oil, grease, probably some diesel, definitely old teabags, in fact everything that could be found in an industrial environment :)

This was the fate of apprentices (the slow ones that didn't run fast enough!!) :) that had done their 'time' & were about to become skilled tradesmen
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines