News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winget Ltd., Strood.  (Read 30216 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Winget Ltd., Strood.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 19:18:16 »
And had they chucked the poor bloke in the river first ? there's a lot of water round the cage lol.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

NICK/SARAH

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:38 »
shame really that a building like that has been pulled down, my dad (ken dykes) used to tell me about his days working there and that he enjoyed it and had fun there. he met is first wife there too then left to go to join up with the raf during the war then went back because his dad had paid for him to do his training.
old buildings need to be saved so story can carry on and have a understanding of how people used to work in them :)

Aspidestra

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 23:03:27 »
I started at Wingets in 1947 after leaving the RAF. As I was an ex Shorts fitter & turner apprentice I went on to a Ward 7 turret lathe. I met my wife there as she worked in the machine shop office as a clerk. Originally she worked in the tool room on a cylinder grinder but had to make way for the returning service men. I worked with at least 15 of the men seen in the works outing photo and the three shown on the sports day page were, from left to right, Jimmy Hopwood, M/c shop Superintendent, Doug Taylor, Foreman and Ernie Ambrose Winget Syncro Foreman. It was a great place to work, with everybody like an extended family. Later on I moved up into the
new offices in the Process dept. I left before the closure and I am extremely sad to see what Medway council have done to the building.They did the same to Shorts works with no mention of it's contribution to flying history, but that's a another story 

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 22:39:39 »
The building which once had the Winget name on the roof.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:32:36 »
What a great forum this is. Richard Morphett from the foundry at Wingets was a mate of mine in a Rochester cycling club 50 years ago. Rochester Velo Club Olympic for those who were cycling orientated and we met in Borstal Village hall.
I was only reminiscing about the old days to the wife just recently and spoke about Richard and his brother Drew. Anyone know if Richard is still around?
Alan.

PS. I also worked at Wingets for a couple of months before coming to Australia in '72 and again in '77 when I returned to the UK for a couple of years.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 23:40:42 »
Sadly, most of them would be dead by now - certainly those named in the 25 year club ( nearly 50 years ago + 25 years service means that if they started when they were only 15 years old they'd be 90 now!)

I joined the company in the late '70's, & there are a few names or faces I recognise but most had already left then.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 22:29:59 »
I wonder how many of the folk in the photos would love to see these photos on here?

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Winget Ltd., Strood.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 22:59:07 »
Here are a few of the pages of WINGET LIFE, the magazine produced for the employees.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines