News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Erith Marshes A.A. Site/Slade greeen  (Read 7069 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
Re: Erith Marshes A.A. Site/Slade greeen
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 21:34:25 »
4,5 inch anti-aircraft guns of the 207th Erith Battery 58th (Kent) Anti-Aircraft Regiment. Royal Artillery.
Photos
© IWM (H 1222)
© IWM (H 1212)
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
Re: Erith Marshes A.A. site.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 22:15:08 »
Hi Rover1966,

can you tell where the guns actually were ? I presumed they were at the top of the track there at the summit of the hill, but there seemed to be no trace of them on the satelite map views on Google.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

rover1966

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 16:31:36 »
I lived on this Gun site / barracks for about year in 1946/7 In Hut No 9. We lived in one of the tin huts after my father came back from the far east.
I was born at the Russel Stoneham Hospital in Crayford in Nov 1944, at the back was the Anti aircraft sight. I can remember seeing the guns still in place up to around 1950/55

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 18:53:02 »
This one is actually called Slade Green ( ZS 1)

Not a million miles from here in Crayford is a second WW2 AA gun site. Used to work around there.

That one has the accomodation huts etc, but I could find no trace of the gun positions. Crayford ( ZS 21 )

regards Otis
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

ferret

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:49:17 »
It is ww2 but was later used in the 50's like Hillberry Farm. the fire command post dates from that period.

A Rare Find

Erith Marshes A.A. Site/Slade greeen
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 18:11:20 »
A very large site in area, now in a poor state of preservation with most of the original accomodation etc now demolished. Four emplacements with a very large Fire Control Bunker (its the largest I've seen with a large number of compounds and rooms) the Fire Control is now flooded. The site has its own local ground defence in the form of two pillboxes one at each end. Nearby is a unusual brick building with two diamond shaped windows which is either a shelter or a magazine. Again I do not have much technical info on this site as yet. There are some strange structures within the Fire Control point which could be wartime or later.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines