Author Topic: Barming Oakwood asylum  (Read 21013 times)

Charlie

Re: Barming Oakwood asylum
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:24 »
Thank you very much Herb Collector that is great. Appreciate all the help. Charlie

Offline ann

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 13:56:41 »
Well done Herb Collector, what an  amazing detailed record you have found for Charlie

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Appreciation 129
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 18:45:28 »
It seems that George White was discharged from the Military Wing of the County of Middlesex Hospital, St Albans, to Barming, where he committed suicide.
see http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF reports/WHITE G.J.pdf

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Appreciation 129
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 16:19:44 »
Hi Charlie.
Private George Joseph White.
Buried Swanscombe Cemetery. Grave 2233.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75229380/white, george joseph

Charlie

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 15:14:17 »
Hi
I am trying to find the grave of Private George Joseph White who I believe died at the hospital on 8th September 1917.
Would anyone know where the grave is and if it is marked please?
I have been looking for the grave without success, any ideas would be gratefully received.
Thank you

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 09:38:19 »
I've just spotted this thread and Barming Oakwood has some relevance to my family in two ways. My Mum, now deceased, worked there as a young girl in the 1930s I believe, and a relation was incarcerated there for some time, for what reason I do not know.
But knowing some members of my family I'm not surprised......
My elder sister (presently hospitalised in NZ) may know more and I'll post it here if it is relevant when I find out from her.
AlanH.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 123
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 16:35:38 »
Some photos from a visit today. I have to say it looks far less grim now then when I first saw it about 30 years ago!

railtond

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 15:43:57 »
I have just joined the Forum and I thought it may be of interest on this thread to tell you of my experience trying to obtain Oakwood Hospital patient records in respect of someone who died there in 1972.

I obtained basic admission information from the Centre for Kentish Studies. One has then to prove to the Kent & Medway NHS Information Rights Department that you are a relative. Once I had done this they told me that “As an organisation we maintain our records in accordance with Department of Health retention periods which lay out a minimum retention period of 8 years following death of an individual or 25-30 years following cessation of treatment. In this regard, any information we may have held regarding care and treatment provided in the 1970s or earlier is likely to have been securely destroyed.”

Online kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 361
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 15:22:32 »
In December 1881 a matron was accused of cruelty whilst working at this asylum.  She was taken to court after hitting a patient named Priscella Bear during the previous October.  It seems the matron received a fine.  Some of the newspaper has ripped away losing some of the information.

seafordpete

Online kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 361
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:27 »
I am assuming it was more like leaflets.  I used the wording from the book, which said papers.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 08:27:08 »
On the morning of 10th August, 1940, a large amount of papers fell on this hospital, the papers were Hitler's "Last appeal to reason" (the speach he gave in the Reichstag on 19th July, 1940) and were dropped from a German Plane.
Is it me or the way I'm reading it ? are you saying a bundle of papers fell on the hospital.

Online kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 361
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 16:39:13 »
On the morning of 10th August, 1940, a large amount of papers fell on this hospital, the papers were Hitler's "Last appeal to reason" (the speech he gave in the Reichstag on 19th July, 1940) and were dropped from a German Plane.

backman

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 21:20:55 »
Have posted an old aerial view of the hospital here;

Offline grantidge

• Appreciation 11
    • Jill Grant - Jazz Singer
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 16:17:00 »
I gave it a lot of thought before posting this reply, then decided to put my money where my mouth is as I thought the perspective of a former patient (not inmate please - it has such a horrible ring to it) might be of interest.

I went to Kestrel Ward, Oakwood Hospital at the age of seventeen with severe depression, caused in part by my wretched home life.  I was there about eight weeks.  The ward was light and airy, pleasantly decorated and carpeted, and there were coffee tables and easy chairs dotted about.  The staff were caring and professional especially the charge nurse, Ken.  There was one exception to this rule, a little b*tch of a staff nurse, given to tearing junior staff to shreds in front of patients.  She threatened me that if I didn't eat my supper (a cold and slimy vegetarian "dish") she would "see you get transferred to a LOCKED WARD" (the caps is the bit where she shouted).  An idle threat, and we both knew it as she wasn't the charge nurse.  I despised her.  Ken once sent me for a walk round the farm and grounds with another nurse, a very sweet enrolled nurse.  I enjoyed her company, the fresh air and exercise very much.

I became well and stayed that way until the age of forty, when my marriage came to an end.  I was misdiagnosed for nine years after that and had two stays in Priority House as an informal patient.  One of the outer circles of hell.  If I told you what it was like you wouldn't believe me, nor would you believe what was done to me.  The kindest person there was a nursing assistant who had been at Oakwood.
  She said she regretted not being able to spend time with the patients including trips to town to help with anxiety/agoraphobia.  Not enough time or money.  

I was correctly diagnosed eight years ago and now lead a normal life including full time work and a social life.

It's true that there were some horrible abuses in the old days, especially on the "back wards" where the patients were just locked up and counted, being considered hopeless cases.  It was all too easy to get sucked into the system, even for highly treatable illness such as depression, anxiety or post-natal illness, and stay there for years. But there was good work being done too, such as therapeutic communities to help patients learn to take responsibility again and have some control over their lives and one to one work with patients on the ward.I think we have lost our way with regard to mental health treatment - not enough money, little time and no provision outside the private sector for people who just can't hack it on their own.  

I hope you won't look down on me or be wary of me - I was never violent or even horrible, just bewildered.  My family found it hard to accept and to this day I feel shame.

By the way - the powers-that-be have decided we are to be called "service users".  What boll....nonsense!  You don't hear of heart service users, or cancer service users.  Feels like a ghetto to me!

Jill

anything