News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Borough Sanatorium, Canterbury  (Read 11035 times)

zumiweb

Re: Borough Sanatorium, Canterbury
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 12:21:16 »
And here is the briefest of histories of the Mount Hospital/Canterbury Sanatorium from the 2010-2011 Nurses league Newsletter at Kent and Canterbury Hospital.

Just a link to a 2 page PDF - http://www.eastkent.org.uk/images/Mount/MountHistory.pdf

Zumiweb

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:35 »
Great pics Zumiweb. They bring back memories seeing all of the 'institutional' architecture, could be any of the four late 1800's or early 1900's rebuilds (Nunnery Fields, St Martins, St Augustine's and Herne). Thank you for posting them. I well remember visiting the Dr's in the early - mid 1970's and being in a room full of blue smoke (not just the waiting room either), happy days......................

S4.

P.S. Do you have anything on St Augustine's? If so I'm sure that that thread would benefit from any additions.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

zumiweb

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:27:27 »
As promised (eventually), here are the photos of the Canterbury Sanatorium we have in the archive. Taken in 1959, when it was had just been refurbished and reopened as The Mount, an outpost of the Kent and Canterbury, but you can get a sense of the buildings that don't seem to have changed too much over the decades. When I bring these out for exhibitions, the ashtray on the Matron's desk always gets a couple of comments! At this point it was mostly used as a Chest unit and a radiotherapy hostel, as well as back to its original purpose for the 1969 flu pandemic. We have a 2 page potted history written for the Nurses League magazine a few years ago if anyone wants more details...

(These pictures are copyright of the hospital, but you are welcome to use them with appropriate acknowledgements please).

Zumiweb

zumiweb

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 14:50:02 »
Stodmarsh Road goes down to Fordwich, and may well have been just a track or lane off Sandwich Road at the time of construction, so "Fordwich Lane" is quite reasonable as a name then. From the cutting below it is clear that this was specifically built as the city's isolation hospital - whereas the Macadoink page on St Martin's (http://www.machadoink.com/The%20Borough%20Lunatic%20Asylum.htm) provides plenty of clues that St Martin's was built from the off as a mental asylum (divided by poor and wealthy, and yes ultimately dealing with 'lesser' conditions than St Augustine's was destined to...).

JohnWalker's link is to a photo in my Flickr account's hospital set - a very clear aerial shot, showing the classic isolation hospital approach of lots of small huts, often for different diseases. Haine Hospital and the fever hospitals at Dartford were laid out on the same principle (albeit a vastly different scale). I have 5 or 6 other photos of The Mount Hospital in my filing cabinet and will try to get them posted a little later, showing a few different views of the Mount Hospital (aka Canterbury Sanatorium!).

One of my colleagues here at K&C actually lives in the small housing development that the Mount has morphed in to in recent years - she'll be interested in this discussion too... thanks for the snippets of extra info.

Zumiweb

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:51 »
The other 'heads up' was the comment about the Porters Lodge being held in abeyance. The Porters Lodge was in fact the Gate House and this is very much still at St Martins.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:46:42 »
This 1940 view of Mount Hospital appears to show six blocks or pavilions which matches the description in the cutting.

There is also a more detailed view via this link  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sable/5061476747/in/photostream/

JW

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 06:40:52 »
That was very interesting Scoop. The building described certainly does not match St Martins so could Fordwich Lane be an old name for Stodmarsh Road and in fact the Mount was 'it' all along?

S4.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 00:09:22 »
That's interesting information scoop.

I notice in the cutting it mentions the view from Fordwich Lane but I'm not aware of a Fordwich Lane in that area.  My 1907 printed map doesn't go out as far as the hospital.

All the other details point to the sanatorium being St Martins.  I guess the isolation wards (Scarlet Fever etc) were moved out to Mount Hospital, Stodmarsh Road at a later date as that is where I was taken to see my uncle in the 50s.  I was only allowed to see him at a distance through a small round window which might have been in the door to the ward.

JW

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 19:12:19 »
Sanatorium Description from the Whitstable Times & Herne Bay Herald 27 Nov 1897.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 18:39:57 »
Why not check the Deaths & Discharges for St. Martins at the KHLC Maidstone to see if you can match the name.  Finding No: MH/T11/Kd Deaths & Discharges 1903-1960.  You might run into the 100 year rule but if the records are organised by year you may be able to view 1903.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 12:50:00 »
I understood from several people (sadly the key one has passed) that St Martins was built on the site of an existing Hospital, the County Asylum at Chartham would have dealt with Mental Health cases. I have always understood that there was an isolation ward on the site of the Mount but it was not a functioning independent Hospital. Certainly until recent time St Martins was for the 'soft' cases, senile dementia etc. (please don't take offense) and the 'hard' cases were placed in St Augustine's. One of my Grandmothers spent some time in St Martins, just prior to her death, with senile dementia, at the time my Dad was one of the Engineers at St Augustine's, St Martins came under his remit for maintenance.

S4. 

zumiweb

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:13 »
There is an 1899 entry in Nursing World saying Miss Charlotte Bray has been appointed matron of the Canterbury Sanatorium (4 years before St Martins founded)... specifically as an isolation hospital for infectious diseases, and this is what became the Mount. So maybe it was casually called both Borough and Canterbury Sanatorium interchangeably... and I am thinking the Kellys entry refers to this site, rather than St Martins, which I still think started as a mental hospital, as the Macadoink.com page suggests.

Of course St Martins is under a mile from The Mount, so both may have been regarded as in the St Martins area then anyway. Why are there no 120 year old people to ask when you need them... sigh.

I'll keep looking for more evidence, but it may end up as best guesses all round, but Canterbury Sanatorium was built 1897, and Borough Lunatic Asylum, later St Martins, was built 1902, opened 1903, so I'm probably going to settle on the Mount as being the likeliest answer for my enquirer.

Thanks for input.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 09:12:40 »
My uncle was in the Mount Hospital, Stodmarsh Road.  He had Scarlet Fever.  That would have been in the early 50s.  I have a feeling I knew that hospital by a different name in those days.

JW

zumiweb

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:11:39 »
No picture, just words on a death certificate, and as the family used to live in that area I think it understandable that she assumed it meant THAT Borough, but I am sure you're both right, St Martins seems the likeliest (the only likely) answer.

And given that I have been looking in to locations of hospitals in East Kent for the last few years since I started at K&C, I am quite relieved not to have found a new one right in our own backyard that I had never heard of! Although I do seem to come across a new one every few weeks... up to 40+ now in our area, and a few not on the big sticky list at the top of this topic.

Thanks,
zumiweb

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:11 »
I understood that the Borough Sanatorium was where St Martins is now. The confusion lies in the fact that it was for the Borough of Canterbury not just The Borough IN Canterbury. Seems like your friend has been confused by semantics and the point that both St Martins and The Borough both lie in the old North Gate Ward. Also St Martins had an entrance almost identical to the main entrance at St Augustine's Hospital until the Luftwaffe demolished it in the early 1940's. That way if he has a picture of the entrance then he will argue that it is not St Martins but a building elsewhere.

S4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines