News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Barming Oakwood asylum  (Read 49611 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Re: Barming Oakwood asylum
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:27 »
I am assuming it was more like leaflets.  I used the wording from the book, which said papers.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 08:27:08 »
On the morning of 10th August, 1940, a large amount of papers fell on this hospital, the papers were Hitler's "Last appeal to reason" (the speach he gave in the Reichstag on 19th July, 1940) and were dropped from a German Plane.
Is it me or the way I'm reading it ? are you saying a bundle of papers fell on the hospital.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 16:39:13 »
On the morning of 10th August, 1940, a large amount of papers fell on this hospital, the papers were Hitler's "Last appeal to reason" (the speech he gave in the Reichstag on 19th July, 1940) and were dropped from a German Plane.

backman

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 21:20:55 »
Have posted an old aerial view of the hospital here;

grantidge

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 15:17:00 »
I gave it a lot of thought before posting this reply, then decided to put my money where my mouth is as I thought the perspective of a former patient (not inmate please - it has such a horrible ring to it) might be of interest.

I went to Kestrel Ward, Oakwood Hospital at the age of seventeen with severe depression, caused in part by my wretched home life.  I was there about eight weeks.  The ward was light and airy, pleasantly decorated and carpeted, and there were coffee tables and easy chairs dotted about.  The staff were caring and professional especially the charge nurse, Ken.  There was one exception to this rule, a little b*tch of a staff nurse, given to tearing junior staff to shreds in front of patients.  She threatened me that if I didn't eat my supper (a cold and slimy vegetarian "dish") she would "see you get transferred to a LOCKED WARD" (the caps is the bit where she shouted).  An idle threat, and we both knew it as she wasn't the charge nurse.  I despised her.  Ken once sent me for a walk round the farm and grounds with another nurse, a very sweet enrolled nurse.  I enjoyed her company, the fresh air and exercise very much.

I became well and stayed that way until the age of forty, when my marriage came to an end.  I was misdiagnosed for nine years after that and had two stays in Priority House as an informal patient.  One of the outer circles of hell.  If I told you what it was like you wouldn't believe me, nor would you believe what was done to me.  The kindest person there was a nursing assistant who had been at Oakwood.
  She said she regretted not being able to spend time with the patients including trips to town to help with anxiety/agoraphobia.  Not enough time or money.  

I was correctly diagnosed eight years ago and now lead a normal life including full time work and a social life.

It's true that there were some horrible abuses in the old days, especially on the "back wards" where the patients were just locked up and counted, being considered hopeless cases.  It was all too easy to get sucked into the system, even for highly treatable illness such as depression, anxiety or post-natal illness, and stay there for years. But there was good work being done too, such as therapeutic communities to help patients learn to take responsibility again and have some control over their lives and one to one work with patients on the ward.I think we have lost our way with regard to mental health treatment - not enough money, little time and no provision outside the private sector for people who just can't hack it on their own.  

I hope you won't look down on me or be wary of me - I was never violent or even horrible, just bewildered.  My family found it hard to accept and to this day I feel shame.

By the way - the powers-that-be have decided we are to be called "service users".  What boll....nonsense!  You don't hear of heart service users, or cancer service users.  Feels like a ghetto to me!

Jill

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 14:10:28 »
I would like to congratulate Moriarty on his U-tube compilations. I really enjoyed seeing them. I worked at the new Maidstone hospital when it first opened (1980?) until 2003. The patients recreation hall in the asylum was used for many years for our staff Christmas shows. The social club (up the drive to St Andrews House then turn left) was very busy and many top acts would be booked for special evenings - I remember seeing Mike Read here. Much of the site was farmland in 1980 and patients were encouraged to work on this land. I lived at the rear of the site, top of Poplar Grove and the farmland backed on to our 1950's estate. I took some time for t
he hospital authorities to negotiate to price of a "ransom strip" allowing the new estate at the top of Poplar Grove to be eventually built. Nice to see that so many of the old asylum buildings have been saved.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 11:09:05 »
A great uncle of mine died in the hospital in 1919 from TB. He was incarcerated there in February 1914 after being discharged from the army following a nervous breakdown and suicide attempt. I assume that he was buried in the hospital burial ground and his grave is unmarked. Are there any records of burials extant?

I would try the records at County Records Office in Maidstone. They seem to hold that sort of thing or maybe contact the rector of St Andrews.

I do hold pics of every legible stone in the cemetery if you want me to consult those (including the ones you have to rummage in the grass for).

andy peal

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 17:24:02 »
When I used to live in Maidstone in the 1960s I was in the the church choir of St.Andrews which was just down the road from Oakwood hospital.  Always remembered going there every xmas to sing didnt know it was a lunatic asylum.

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 22:49:09 »
A great uncle of mine died in the hospital in 1919 from TB. He was incarcerated there in February 1914 after being discharged from the army following a nervous breakdown and suicide attempt. I assume that he was buried in the hospital burial ground and his grave is unmarked. Are there any records of burials extant?

sapper

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 23:13:18 »
my wife used to work in the laundry  at oakwood back in the mid 80's & i know the gatehouse buildings were used as the studios for hospital radio as  i had a friend who was a presenter there, i remember being home on leave & going up to meet my wife the morning after the 87 hurricane had hit, there were trees down right through the grounds & no one could get in or out with cars

as i remember at the time fires were a regular occourance many being of spontaneous combustion in the piles of soiled sheets, many of the machines had packed up by this time due to poor maintenance, i was glad when she left

Moriarty01

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 19:52:48 »

A couple of new videos I've put on YouTube showing photos of the asylum from 1989.

Photos of the original building (St Andrew's House):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGpcLZQGgyY

Photos of the whole site (including St Andrew's House so there is some repitition with the previous video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAG0cWsqLnM

Andy

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 14:13:59 »
Unfortunatly the writing doesn't always come out large on here  :(

janparf

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 16:34:51 »
Thanks again for the posts!!!!

"seafordpete" thanks for looking on Ancestry......the Elizabeth you found as a daughter to Henry & Elizabeth at Windmill St is my family, I think she is on the 1861 census twice......once in the Workhouse as you said & also with her family at Peppercroft St, Gravesend. 

If I could only find out from the workhouse records or Asylum records if it says parents names for her it would solve the mystery of if it is my Elizabeth or not, unfortunatly I dont live near enough to look at any of them !!!

Thanks again all
Jan

Jayzi.

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 00:14:47 »
Hi all.

Some modern-ish photo's of the asylum from a nice website.

http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/oakwood01.htm

Take care.

Jayzi.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines