News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Barming Oakwood asylum  (Read 50340 times)

Whitehorse

Re: Barming Oakwood asylum
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 18:18:40 »
Looking at those photos,brings back a few memories.

I worked at the new Maidstone Hospital next door for a few years in the mid 1980's, and sometimes popped into the stores and the social club at Oakwood. I remember trying to get to work on the morning of the great storm in 1987. It was about 5am, and the storm was still in full force. One of the big tree's on Barming Heath had fallen and completely blocked Hermitage Lane. I turned around and left my car in St Andrew's Road, and made my way to the new hospital by foot. Feeling through the complete darkness, I was blown down Hermitage Lane in a couple of minutes. At lunch time in the daylight, I decided to retrieve my car, and survey the damage, and took the short cut through Oakwood's grounds. My abiding memory is of the complete devastation which hit me, and the massive huge crators, where many of the magnificent oak trees use to stand. Some of these trees must have been hundreds of years old, as they were absolutely massive. It really was a unbelievable, and very sad sight.

seafordpete

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 19:58:58 »
Hi Janparf -welcome. I've  had a rummage through Ancestry and it looks like there are 2 or even 3 Elizabeths !!  1881 shows one in Maidstone asylum shown as born  about  1840 at Aylesford but she does't show on earlier censuses.  1851 shows Elizabeth, dr of Henry (Master Gardener) and Elizabeth (dressmaker) at 2 Windmill St, described as "at home" normally would show scholar age would give a birth date of 1844. 1861 has her in Gravesend workhouse as Adzley and noted as "idiot". In 1871 , same place, "idiot from birth" not there in 1881 so maybe moved to Maidstone? But to confuse matters the previous page for the asylum has Jane Adzley aged 38 b Gravesend, so the age and spelling tie in with the Gravesend workhouse but not the forename unless they changed it to avoid confusion.
There is another Elizabeth born 1844 at Stoke, living there and in 1871 wife of Amos at High St. He is an Ag Labourer. Daughter Phoebe (difficult to read so guessing) 2 months and Emma Eastman (niece) aged 3.
Can't find any other fits for Elizabeth.
There were no Adsleys in the Maidstone/Aylesford area in 1841. Most are in the Hoo area. Nearest is a Martha Addsley aged 15 who was a servant at James Coulters pub in Queen Annes Rd Maidstone Pete

janparf

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 18:21:18 »
Thank you all for the welcome & the advice, sorry If asking for help on the wrong post!!!!
I had a look at the link that was put for me.....I have enquired at Kent Archives & was told that they have the records for that time & that Elizabeth was admitted to the Asylum in 1880 (I think)  (Not sure without digging out my notes), they would not look at anything else for me to find out if it is my family or not without charging quite a lot of money for it. 

She was in the workhouse before that, from quite an early age I think, not sure what was wrong with her, but I think she was born like it from the info on the census.  Very sad!!!!
<
br />Thanks all again for the help, will put something on another post about the family history & see what help I may get!!!

Jan

Maidstone Trooper

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 17:21:11 »
I feel this post and yours may get moved over to the family tree section of this site... and knowing that you may already be hunting down your family tree you may have seen this already....

Taken from http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29856

by a Peter Goodey of Family History in London & Kent http://www.goodey.me.uk/

Records are at The Centre for Kentish Studies including:

Admission & Discharge 1833 - 1970
Clinical & Patients 1833 - 1930

>For more, see the Hospital Records Database

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/default.asp

They are in the local (Kent) catalogue under the later name of Oakwood Hospital.

Seems funny that i felt the need to google and help out this request when it has not a lot to do with me (although i live on the old site), but either way fate has led me to do so, so i hope this helps you out in some way shape or form......  Welcome along.

janparf

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 16:51:01 »
Hello,

I am new to this site, someone recomended I looked at this post on Kent County Lunatic asylum as I was interested to know where someone who died there was buried.  I see from this that there was a chapel & burial ground for the Asylum.  Would anyone know if there are records for the chapel ?  I have a relative Elizabeth Adsley who was in the Asylum on 1881 cenus (or at least I think it is her)  & died in 1886, so Im guessing that she died there.  Any help or advice on this would be brilliant.

Thank you,
(Great website by the way)
Jan

Jayzi.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10:08 »
Hi all

Got some snippits of info on the Asylum, all from 'Old Maidstone', (1988) volume 3. Meresborough Books.

Opened in 1833 with accomodation for 174 patients.
It cost 50,000 to build.
One of the first patients was John Nicholos Thom who was convince he was Sir William Percy Honeywood Courteney, the new messiah. He was released in 1837 and in the May of 1838 organised a riot against the Kings troops in Boddenden Wood Dunkirk. He, and 8 of his followers were killed along with Lt. Henry Boswell Bennet and 2 of his men.

In 1850 an additional asylum was built on the site for 200 patients, with yet anothe
r built between 1867 and 1872. A further enlargement took place in 1906 with 2 blocks, each holding 100 patients built.

3 photographs of the Asylum (one exterior, 2 interior) are also included in the book.

Jayzi.  

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 22:22:44 »
The chapel is looking sorry for itself - only a couple of years ago it was in better nick!  :o

Moriarty01

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 12:09:28 »

The land that is still fenced off is in a bit of limbo at the moment and has been for a number of years.  I believe it is still owned by Persimmons and the original plan was for a school to be built there around the same time as the new houses were built on the site of the demolished asylum building (the 'Hermitage House' building).  However this plan never materialised.

I suspect its going to remain like that for a while which is a bit of a shame as it is something of an eyesore.  Still, its providing a home for a number of foxes.

Maidstone Trooper

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:13:13 »
Took a walk around the old asylum a couple of weeks ago....  Does anyone know what the deal is with the Fenced off "Building Site" part to the right of the main building at the front?  I had a nosey, and could not see anything, but this is the only part of the site that is "undeveloped" / not tidied up.

???

Moriarty01

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 22:49:56 »

I have two compilations of photos of the original building at the Kent County Lunatic Asylum.  These are on YouTube, the links are :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtN9g5_Yul4
(A selection of photos of the derelict building)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-LcFQG5B4M
(A comparison of the derelict building with how it looks now)

Moriarty01

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 19:23:36 »

Further to my earlier post, I have attached some pictures taken earlier on this year of the Kent County Lunatic Asylum Cemetery.

r />

Moriarty01

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 22:11:24 »
Hi all

This is my first posting on this forum and am wondering if any members might be able to help me.

I live in the former lunatic asylum in Barming Heath (now given the more sobering name of St Andrew's Park) and have been carrying out some research in the history of the hospital largely through the Centre For Kentish Studies.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any photos of the hospital buildings in its later years, say from the 1970s through to its closure and then its years in a derelict state before it was converted into residential developments.  Two of the buildings were converted into apartments and one building was demolished and new housing is now on that site.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

(If anyone is interested in current photos of the asylum buildings or of the asylum cemetery off Hermitage Lane then I'd be happy to assist)

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:16:44 »
It is opposite off Hermitage La -Oakapple lane, 1938 OS shows it
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=51.270635~0.480137&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

earlier maps seem to show a single + in the triangular field bounded by the 2 roads above

or go to www.old-maps.co.uk and put in co ordinates 573200 155300 and select the 1938 map

It dfirst shows on the 1898 map. On the 1870 are marked "air shafts" at either end of the road E-W through the hospital. Are they "stench pipes&qu
ot; or was there a tunnel?

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 22:37:43 »
Anyone here know much about the cemetery for the hospital - references on the net are few and far between?

Jayzi.

Barming Oakwood asylum
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 19:56:37 »
Hi all.

Amongst the bits and pieces I've come across when doing my studies I came across these bits. (see the 2 links below) Interesting they are in their own right, but what got me thinking was how much of the new, or even old housing stock in Kent has a 'history' unknown to a prospective buyer? Just off the top of my head for starters I can think of St. Mary's Island Chatham.

As for the 1957 fire at Barming (Oakwood asylum) which claimed 6 lives, this hospital disaster was brought up in the House of Commons.    

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1957/dec/02/oakwood-hospi
tal-maidstone-accident  

As the Daily Telegraph reported in Feb 2009, these houses are a buy that you would be barmy to miss out on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/newhomes/4812269/Madhouse-comes-to-its-senses.html

Jayzi.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines