News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Theatre in Broadstairs  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Theatre in Broadstairs
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:36:23 »
The Picture House was closed in 1962. I remember going there many times before I moved away in 1961.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/32917
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline amylouisewalker16

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:55 »
Hi,

Looking at the cinema treasures website, it states there have been 4 (past/present) cinemas over the years:
-Odeon- closed
-Picture House- closed
-Palace Cinema - open
-Vue- open

The Odeon (York St) opened in 1934 and closed in 1940 as it suffered bomb damage but was repaired and reopened in 1950 until 1956. It  later operated as a nightclub but eventually demolished.
The Picture House (High St) opened in the 1920s and closed in 1937 and was later demolished. No fire is mentioned here but is this the one?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 18:53:10 »
The theatre in Broadstairs was called The Bohemia, and was more or less opposite what used to be Woolworths. It burnt down after I moved from Broadstairs and the only reference I can find on it is Film which is held at the Centre for Kentish Studies or University of Kent Library.
The film was made by Enid Briggs in the 1930s, but has the return of the the first contingent Rhine Army 15th September, 1929 in Dover.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
Theatre in Broadstairs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:14:59 »
Does anyone have any information or photos of the theatre that once stood in the centre of Broadstairs? It was used by the Home Guard in WW2 and burnt down in the 50s/60s? It might have been called the "Alhambra"?

thanks
Ian

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines