News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Holy Trinity,Old Brompton.  (Read 26844 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Holy Trinity,Old Brompton.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:49:03 »
I can't remember the date, but it was me who called the Fire Brigade! I was walking back to the KGV form the Gym and saw a glow inside the hall. I went up for a look and a large fire was burning in the middle of the floor. I went doen to a friends house in Garden Street and called the Fire Brigade. By the time they arrived, which wasn't that long the fire was into the roof anf beyond recall. This fire was a at a time of numerous suspiciaous fires in Medway and occurred on either the night before or the night after the Westbrook School Fire. I think it was the night befoe as I seem to recall bing in the pub the next night and on hearing the sirens people remarked 'Not again!'

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 23:27:38 »
At last I've found my pictures of the fire and the aftermath. I still haven't been able to get the actual date, but the pictures show it was wintertime, and from the person in one of the pics I think it must have been between 1987 and 1989.  Here are a couple, I will put the rest in a Conway Hall/Trinity School post as this thread is really for the church.

The night of the fire:

The morning after:

Some months (years?) later:
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 13:53:58 »
Leofwine. are you able to post a larger area of that plan please. It has some very interesting labelling on it. The Artillery Drill Hall stood next to the Cannon PH hence the pub name as I understand a cannon stood outside the drill hall. BB

I have the whole of Brompton at that scale (bottom of Brompton Hill to other side of Wood Street, Dock Road to Sally Port) but it is all in the form of photocopies taken from a map sandwiched between 2 layers of plastic, so there are many reflections and some patches that are greyed out. As a consequence I have some areas in multiple copies at different contrast settings.  Over the next few weeks I plan to piece it back together into a single large psd file using the clearest copies of each area, then redraw it into a layered file.  I will include all the labelling in various layers.  I also intend in time to overlay all the information from the 1881 census on it to produce a snapshot of Brompton 130 years ago.  In the meantime, if there is an area you are particularly interested in I'll try to post the clearest images I have for that area.

On the Melville hospital, Garrison Hospital, etc it does also show the uses of individual rooms within the buildings in many cases.

Also, you can see what I believe is the front of the old Drill Hall in this picture:

(Larger version on my Brompton Then & Now set http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/sets/721576
24087225321/)
=========

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 12:27:46 »
Leofwine. are you able to post a larger area of that plan please. It has some very interesting labelling on it. The Artillery Drill Hall stood next to the Cannon PH hence the pub name as I understand a cannon stood outside the drill hall. BB

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 23:04:24 »
Couple more old pics and a plan of the church from an 1866 map.

Late 1860s (soon after the installation of the Prince Albert Memorial Clock in 1863)

Tinted Postcard from 1907 showing the church c.1900

Image from 25" OS Map 1866

=========

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:41 »
I've also found a couple of newspaper articles from the Chatham News (18th September 1953 and 25th June 1954) both saying that the the plan was to dismantle the Church stone by stone and rebuild it at Twydall Green "at an estimated cost of 25,000."

The article goes on to say This was announced by the Rochester Diocesan spokesman this week, [June 1954] when it was explained that the whole parish of Holy Trinity, complete with church, hall and parsonage, had ceased to exist as an economic unit on account of the movement of the people and the parish was to be resurrected on the new housing estate.

It then explains that 1,000 was raised before Dame Sybil Thorndyke laid the foundation stone of the new church hall and that the parish of St. Paul, Rusthall, Tunbridge Wells had donated another 2,000, and that the new church hall would serve as a temporary church until the proper church was rebuilt.

It continues: "At first it was thought to build in time a brick building matching the church hall and parsonage. Now the people of Twydall want a Kentish traditional church with a tower and they are looking at Holy Trinity, Brompton, and wish to pull the building down and re-erect it - with modifications and a larger sanctuary - at Twydall Green. (It is scheduled for demolition under a re-organisation scheme, anyway.) They are proposing to form a Removing Church Committee and start planning and raising money right away. It is estimated that this can be done for 25,000."

Yesterday (Thursday) the Arch-deacon of Rochester (the Ven. L. W. Harland) told the "News" that plans for the removal of the church were well in hand.

Obviously this never happened, but I could find no further articles about the idea.  Anyone know why this never happened? (I'm guessing the old perennial "lack of funds.")

The earlier (1953) article also mentioned that in any event all fittings, including the organ, seats, etc will be taken to Twydall.   Does anyone know if this happened?

=========

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 01:40:06 »
I found this description of the Church & Parish in KELLYS DIRECTORY OF KENT for 1882:

OLD BROMPTON is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1847 out of the parishes of Chatham and Gillingham, adjoining Chatham on the north and north-west and Gillingham on the north and north-east; it is in the Mid division of the country, Medway union, Gillingham local board district, Rochester county court district, Chatham and Gillingham hundred, lathe of Aylesford and Rochester rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese. The church of The Holy Trinity, erected in 1848 at the expense of the Rev. William and Miss Conway, is a building of brick, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style and consists of chancel, nave with clerestory, lighted by ten two-light windows, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of five bays, chantry, south porch, and a tower with spire containing a clock and 1 bell: in the chancel is a memorial window to Dr Henry Weekes, of this parish: the church will seat 1,000, 240 sittings being free. The register dates from the year 1847. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value 300, with residence, in the gift of Hyndman's trustees and held since 1847 by the Rev. Daniel Cooke of Queens? College Cambridge, hon. Canon of Rochester (1881). There are Catholic and Wesleyan chapels.
=========

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 21:52:01 »
I have been out photographing around Brompton recently and though I'd post some pics of the Holy Trinity Church & School site as it is today.

Holy Trinity Church in 1905:

The same view in 2010:

The corner of Maxwell Road & Garden Street, once the site of Holy Trinity Church, now a housing development:

Looking down Maxwell Road towards the site of the church (old sch
ool buildings visible on the left):

Some of the old school buildings converted into appartments:

The old school hall (Conway Hall) now converted into housing:

I hope these will be of some interest to those following this thread.
=========

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 22:25:55 »
Sounds like you had most of the same teachers as me Bromptonboy!   I was at Brompton infants for 1 year, then Westbrook. Had to go there really as my mother was one of the teachers there!
=========

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 21:55:04 »
The building that was burnt was the Conway Hall. The Trinity Church itself stood below the hall in the corner of Maxwell Road and Garden Street. Just above the Conway Hall was the Brompton CofE School. Behind the Conway Hall over towards the back of Prospect Row was the original Vicars House, demolished about 1970. It was a lovely little school in its time and we had a great gang of pals. I recall Mrs Thorpe (Class One) Mrs Honor (Class Two) Joe Yates (Class Four and craftwork) Mrs Enva, Mr Profit, Mr James, Mrs Levick, Mrs Roache and Mr Weatherhogg. The senior half of the school which we called the Junior section transferred to the new Westbrook School leaving the Infants in the old school in about 1967.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 23:34:24 »
Yes the development was very stop start and I think wasn't completed until the mid 90's.

As for photos, annoyingly I took photos of the fire itself, but used up all my film on that (remember the days when cameras had rolls of film in them?!) and never got around to taking any pictures of the 'ruins' afterwards.  Would be great if someone here did have photos.

I was out and about today photographing around Brompton for a "Brompton Then & Now" project I'm working on for my flickr account and took some pics showing the current development.  Will post those when they are all up and labelled.
=========

sturoberts1975

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 16:03:14 »
HI Leofwine, it is good to have someone with clearer memories than mine, the re-development was very stop start back in  the day, I remember the foudations to some houses being built in the playing field and then nothing else being developed for what felt like years, it would be great if you could add some photo's of the church "post" fire, even better if you had some fairly recent pre and post fire, I recently took one of my nippers out walking in Gillingham and Brompton and varely recognised it

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 14:06:08 »
Re the Old Church hall burning down, I remember it clearly, I even took photos from my bedroom window (if I can ever find them I'll scan them and post a few here).  The development had started before the fire, and whilst I'm making no allegations here, it was noted by several residents that the developers did not seem keen on including the hall in their development (this is just rumour to me, I never saw any plans to confirm or deny this).  However, development stopped for many months and the hall was allowed to fall into a state of greater disrepair.  Then one night "kids" started a fire and the building was very ba
dly damaged.  Again, going from what I heard in the pubs, shops, etc (where would we be without local gossip grapevines!?), the developers tried to use this as an excuse to demolish it, but instead were told by the local council to rebuild and restore it!

How true all this is, and how much was local gossip run wild I am not sure, but I do know it was one of the few times the local council was actually popular with the Brompton residents!

On a footnote, I miss the open playing field there, and the view I have from the window now of ugly modern yellow brick buildings is definitely not an improvement!
=========

sturoberts1975

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 18:07:59 »
From memory the church suffered extensive fire damage around 1989-1990, some of the local kiddies (not me!) used to go in there and skateboard on the smooth floor, they got a bit destructive and started smashing things and then one day the fire, I do not know if they were to blame, it was rather spooky cycling past the ruins afterwards to do my paper delivery round.
Think it was early 92 when they started developing the site, it seemed very stop start with the developers runnig out of money and then someone else taking over and finishing the job.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 17:41:38 »
Did the church burn down or was it knocked down?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines