News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham's History  (Read 4341 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Amherst Chappie

  • Guest
Chatham's History
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:39:09 »
IN THE TIME of Edward the Consessor, Chatham was in the possession of Godwin, earl of Kent, on whose death it descended to his eldest son, Harold, afterwards king of England, who being slain at the battle of Hastings, William the Conqueror seized Harold's possessions, and gave this estate, among others, to his halfbrother, Odo, bishop of Baieux; accordingly this place is thus entered, under the general title of that prelate's lands, in Domesday:

In Cetebam hundred, Robert Latin holds Ceteham to ferm of the bishop (of Baieux). It was taxed at fix fulings. The arable land is sixteen carucates. In demesne there are three, and 33 villeins, with four borderers having 10 carucates. There is a church, and 15 servants, and one mill of thirty-two pence, and twenty acres of meadow, and fix fisheries of 12 pence. Wood for the pannage of one hog. In the time of king Edward the Confessor, and afterwards, it was worth 12 pounds, now 15 pounds, and yet it pays 35 pounds. Earl Goduin held it.

On the disgrace of the bishop, about four years afterwards, the king seized on this, among the rest of his possessions, which became confiscated to the crown. After which Chatham appears to have been granted to the eminent family of Crevequer, written in Latin,De Crepito Corde, this being their seat, or Caput Baroni?, i. e. the principal manor of their barony, for some time, until they removed themselves to Leeds castle, being before frequently written Domini de Cetham. They bore for their arms, Gules, a plain cross, or, as they appear on the roof of the cloisters at Canterbury, and impaled with those of Albrineis, were put up in the window of All Saints church, in that city.

Robert, son of Hamon, or Hamo de Crevequer, who had probably the grant of this estate from the Conqueror, appears to have held it of the king, as of his castle of Dover, in capite, by barony, their barony, which consisted of five knights fees, being stiled Baronia de Crevequer. His son Hamo, commonly called from his office Hamo Dapifer, left a son Robert, who erected Leeds castle, and the priory there, in 1119, to the former of which he afterwards removed the capital seat of his barony, whose great grandson Hamo died in the 47th year of king Henry III. being then possessed of this manor of Chatham, held as before-mentioned, and the manors of Farleigh and Teston, likewife in capite, as members of it, belonging, as well as the manor Ledes, to his barony. He left Robert, his grandson, son of Hamo his heir, who afterwards taking part with the barons against the king, this among other estates was seized on, and though he was afterwards restored to the king's favor, yet he never gained posesssion of this manor, which seems to have remained in the hands of the crown till the 19th year of king Ed- ward I. when it was granted to Guido Ferre for the term of his life. He died possessed of it in the 4th year of Edward III. the fame being then of the inheritance of Giles de Badlesmere, and held in capite by knight's service.

Giles de Badlesmere was only son and heir of Bartholomew de Badlesmere, who had had a grant of this manor from king Edward II. in his 11th year. (fn. 5) In the 7th year of king Edward III. he had possession granted of his lands, though he had not then accomplished his full age. After which having received summons to parliament, he died in the 12th year of that reign, without issue, being then possessed of this manor, and leaving his four sisters his coheirs.

On the division of whose inheritance, the manor was allotted to the share of Margaret, the youngest sister, wife of Sir John Tiptoft, (fn. 6) who died before him; but he having issue by her, continued in possession of this manor by the courtesy of England, for his life, and died possessed of it anno 41 king Edward III. holding it in capite, by the service of one knight's fee. Their son and heir, Sir Thomas Tiptost, died in the 46th year of that reign, without male issue, so that his three daughters became his coheirs; of whom the youngest, Elizabeth, married Sir Philip le Despencer, who on the partition of their estates, had this manor allotted to her share, she died before her husband; but leaving a daughter and heir, Margery, Sir Philip continued in possession of it for his life, on whose death, in the 2d year of king Henry VI. Margery, his daughter, inherited this manor, being then the wife of Roger Wentworth, esq. who in her right became entitled to it. (fn. 7) Their descendant, Sir Thomas Wentworth, of Nettlested, in Suffolk, was summoned to parliament anno 20 Henry VIII. among the peers of this realm, and died in the 5th year of king Edward VI. be
ing then lord chamberlain of the king's household, and was buried in Westminster abbey. Thomas lord Wentworth, his son and heir, succeeded to this manor, and was made deputy of Calais, from which trust he was, however, shortly after removed, on account of his youth and inexperience. On king Edward's death he was one of the first who appeared for queen Mary, who, in the 1st year of her reign, made him a privy counsellor, and again deputy of Calais, and the marches of it; which office he held till the fatal loss of that place.

In the 8th year of queen Elizabeth, he alienated the manor of Chatham to Francis Barneham and Stephen Slanie, who quickly after passed away their interest in it to John Hart and Michael Barker; and they, in the 20th year of that reign, had licence to alienate it to Reginald Barker, esq. who died in 1600, and was buried in Chatham church, where an altar tomb was erected to his memory, with the effigies of him and his wife on it. He bore for his arms, Barry or and sable
, a bend gules, in chief a crescent sable, for difference. Anne his widow sold it to Sir Robert Jackson, who, in the reign of king Charles I. conveyed it by sale to Sir Oliver Boteler, then of Teston; whose grandson, Sir Oliver Boteler, bart. gave it in marriage with his daughter Joan, to Christopher Rhodes, esq. whose son of the same name, afterwards possessed it, and bore for his arms, On a bend a lion passant guardant, in the dexter point an acorn. On his death, s. p. his sister marrying Charles Birkhead, esq. intitled her husband to it, and he is the present possessor of this manor.

There is a market and two fairs belonging to this manor; the former is held weekly on a Saturday, and the latter on May 15, and Sept. 19, yearly, and holds for three days each time.

CHATHAM gave the TITLE OF BARON to John, the great duke of Argyle, who was in 1705, anno 4 queen Anne, created baron of Chatham and earl of Greenwich in this county, to him and his heirs male. In 1719 he was created duke of Gr
eenwich, and died in October, 1743, without male issue, so that the above titles became extinct. (fn. 3)

The lady Hester Pitt, sister of Richard, earl Temple, and wife of the right hon William Pitt, in consideration of his great and important services to this nation, was in 1761, created baroness of Chatham, with a continuance of the title to her and her heirs male, by her said husband.

On July 30, 1766, the above-mentioned right hon. William Pitt, on a further consideration of his services, was created viscount Pitt, of Burton Pynsent, in Somersetshire, and earl of Chatham, with remainder to his heirs male. He died in 1778, leaving by the lady Hester his wife, John, now earl of Chatham, William, now a privy counsellor, chancellor of the exchequer, and prime minister of this kingdom, &c. and JamesCharles, who died in the West-Indies in 1780, unmarried, and two daughters, Hester, married to Charles, viscount Mahon, now earl Stanhope, and Harriot, married to Edward, eldest son of lord Eliot.


Info taken from Britains History Online

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines