News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: HMS Wildfire, Gillingham  (Read 63329 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Re: HMS Wildfire, Gillingham
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2018, 18:15:06 »
Not quite on the same site luckily - so doable!

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 253
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2018, 15:03:12 »
Asbestos would obviously be a concern, but small patches could just be painted over with a thick coat of paint. That's what they've done on HMS Cavalier. As long as it's not disturbed, it shouldn't be a problem.

As long as the bunker is structurally sound, it shouldn't cost a huge amount of money to open it up to the public as most of the restoration work would be cosmetic. It might turn out to be a money-spinner for the college. I think the original entrance is now covered by the electricity substation serving the college, so moving that would be out of the question.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2018, 11:59:05 »
Kelvedon Hatch is an interesting place to visit!

For Wildfire if they reopened the original entrance they could easily have the air flow to keep the place circulated, and better disabled access as there are no steps at all from that side.

Time will tell, I guess the biggest concern (and very expensive) is the removal of asbestos.  The walls inside could potentially have the fibres and these would need to be replaced.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 253
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2018, 11:24:38 »
Thanks for that. I'm sure that with the right will, the place could be re-opened as an attraction along the lines of Kelvedon Hatch in Essex. Issues with ventilation wouldn't be hard to overcome and the remaining entrance is suitable for disabled access anyway.

See here for Kelvedon Hatch's website.
http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2018, 11:02:44 »
Easter weekend someone removed the pins from the hinges and had a rave down there, word got around the exploring community.  Unfortunately it was sealed a few days later.  Kurg once arranged an official visit with the university but I don't think this was to be repeated and was a one off.  Unless the University find a realistic use for them (and improved air circulation) I don't think these will be open for the public anytime soon.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 253
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2018, 10:47:21 »
Are these recent photos or were they taken before the steel doors in the ditches were sealed up? If they're recent, how does one arrange a visit? I'm asking because since my grand-daughter and I watched a video on youtube exploring the hospital under Dock Road in Chatham, she's been fascinated with underground places like this.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 22:26:56 »
Last ones :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 22:25:26 »
Various items laying around

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2018, 22:23:29 »
Some new photos of the underground ;-)

First two are the operations room, doesn't seem to have changed too much in the last 10 years since my last visit.
Next is looking up the emergency escape ladder.
The next are storage tanks, apparently behind these used to be another emergency escape??
Newspaper from 14th February 1997 and what is left of the racking - some of these have been pushed over and damaged.
Equipment status board and air filtration and the main entrance.
Last two images show the food disposal, I shocked to see the plunger was still there!!!

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 23:20:07 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 20:32:30 »
Wooden masts above the bunker before development of the land

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:39 »
Hi WO1RNR, You are correct. I had forgotten that C in C Fleet moved out of Northwood more than ten years ago! How time flies.

Offline WO1RNR

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 19:30:13 »
Bromptonboy
Just one correction to your post below.
The current HMS Wildfire is still a Royal Naval Reserve unit based inside the PJHQ permanent joint headquarters at Northwood.
Fleet HQ Is actually in leach building on whale island Portsmouth.

I believe the HMS Wildfire title was originally assigned to the Royal Naval Gunnery School at Sheerness. The Gunnery School moved to Chatham in the early C20th but the name Wildfire was retained at Sheerness by the Naval Barracks inside the Dockyard. When Sheerness Dockyard was closed, the Nore Command Combined HQ at Chatham was also closed, and so the name HMS Wildfire was transferred to a new Royal Naval Reserve unit based in the former Combined HQ. The name Wildfire is now assigned to the Fleet HQ at Northwood.

To further complicate matters, in wartime when the navy was drastically expanded and more sub-establishments were created, the names of existing bases were used for administrative purposes and so we saw a Wildfire 2, Wildfire 3 and so on, and in similar vein Pembroke 2, 3 and so on.

John38

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 09:46:21 »
Thanks for that, bromptonboy. It was still operating as 'HMS Wildfire' when I was an apprentice in Sheerness  Dockyard(1954 - 59)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 08:30:26 »
I believe the HMS Wildfire title was originally assigned to the Royal Naval Gunnery School at Sheerness. The Gunnery School moved to Chatham in the early C20th but the name Wildfire was retained at Sheerness by the Naval Barracks inside the Dockyard. When Sheerness Dockyard was closed, the Nore Command Combined HQ at Chatham was also closed, and so the name HMS Wildfire was transferred to a new Royal Naval Reserve unit based in the former Combined HQ. The name Wildfire is now assigned to the Fleet HQ at Northwood.

To further complicate matters, in wartime when the navy was drastically expanded and more sub-establishments were created, the names of existing bases were used for administrative purposes and so we saw a Wildfire 2, Wildfire 3 and so on, and in similar vein Pembroke 2, 3 and so on.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines