News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bunker at Ashford Civic Centre?  (Read 4597 times)

neil clark

Re: Bunker at Ashford Civic Centre?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 19:01:59 »
Yes you're right there is indeed a bunker under the Civic Centre in Tannery Lane! This was paid for by government grant when the building was under construction in the late 1970's early 1980's. It was designed to be a Nuclear Fall Out Shelter. These days it's normally referred to as an Local Authority Emergency Centre. I understand this one can be used if there was ever a Nuclear Incident at nearby Dungerness. The Ashford Borough Council use this area for a variety of purposes unconnected with Nuclear War. The last time I went there it was being used as a general rest area for lazy borough councellors (most are lazy).

/>As far as I'm aware the Ashford Town Security Net (aka Townet) HQ is located somewhere in the Ashford Magistrates Court building NOT the ABC civic centre bunker.

screamindemonuk

Re: Bunker at Ashford Civic Centre?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 23:04:24 »
Hello scoop, its me your colleague Scotty.  ***

I think the bunker you are referring to is now Ashford brough councils CCTV suite aka TOWNET. As you know, you have to go through two remote locked doors to get in. This being the original airlock. If memory serves me correctly, the civic centre was built in the 1980's and the bunker was incorporated into the building as it was near time of concern of potential nuclear breakout. Please correct me if I am wrong anybody.

Scoop

Bunker at Ashford Civic Centre?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 22:24:44 »
Throughout my childhood I heard a small number of referances to a bunker which is supposedly constucted under the Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford. These were from unconnected people. Some have gone so far as to say that this is why the area which is now a car park and the field adjacent to it constantly floods and is undulating... any truth or urban legend?

All I've managed to find online is this: http://www.ukcoldwar.org.uk/boroughcouncillist.asp. Unfortunately it doesn't confirm whether there is or isn't amy structure underground for emergancy planning or similar.

Anyone have any info?

This document http://csweb.bournemouth.ac.uk/aip/gaz2001/b/seast/b292001.pdf confirms the old Maidstone council premises did have such a facility however that would have been county council.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines