News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Capstone Farm Country Park Denehole  (Read 5292 times)

merc

Capstone Farm Country Park Denehole
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:27:05 »
I went to look at one at Capstone Farm Country Park near Chatham a little while ago, it's got a nice sign about deneholes next to it but the actual denehole there has been mostly filled in...

merc

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 16:31:35 »
The deneholes in Grove Wood are next to the field. (but i don't think you can see them from the field)
They are in the left hand side of the Wood,if you were to come from that footpath that cuts across the middle of the fields...if you see what i mean o:)

They're both along that edge of the wood,but a couple of hundred metres apart from each other i think.

paul_f

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:27:00 »
I took a walk around the nature trail at Capstone yesterday.  There is a denehole along the route of that (starting from the upper car park).  It has been filled in to within 5ft of the top, but there is a big tree marking the spot.  According to the information sign it was 80ft deep.

The deneholes in Grove wood, are they a fair way into the woods down the hill?  I notice on Google Earth that there are two clearings in the dense woods, am guessing that is them.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 17:47:51 »
I'd always thought that they were used to store food. This was mentioned years ago when the Alkham Valley ones were discovered and shown on the local news.  ???
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline col

• Appreciation 3
    • Subterranean History
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 17:21:18 »
They're old chalk mines dug with a vertical shaft and then a couple of chambers at the bottom

Philio81

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 16:39:38 »
What was their purpose?

merc

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 18:55:39 »
I found two Deneholes in Grove Wood near Capstone/Hempstead today.
Actually,i knew there was at least one there,because i went in it some years ago.
On a map it sayes "Deneholes" so i had a look to see if i could find another one...and sure enough,a couple of 100 metres away from the first one is a second one ;D

The fence is hanging in the first hole and i felt a bit uneasy getting too close to the edge ::) I'm not sure my pictures do the Deneholes justice...they are quite deep. (especially to someone who doesn't like heights :-[ )

The second wasn't quite as deep (but still deep),this one had a fence.

Denehole 1

Denehole 2

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines