News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Betteshanger Colliery  (Read 31911 times)

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
Re: Betteshanger Colliery
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 22:36:17 »
Very interesting to see the USA tank at Betteshanger.
 Thanks for that  :)
Stuart...

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 16:40:17 »
Some photo's of the USA class DS235 at Betteshanger Colliery on hire from BR in 1963..

Offline AdrianPearce

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 01:37:12 »
We were lucky enough to be given permission in October 1989 to explore the surface buildings on the day the scrap men moved in. Most buildings were in excellent condition and it was a travesty that everything was flattened. It seemed to be British Coal's policy at the time and I believe that they ignored an offer by the miners for a buy out. Unfortunately my camera was on the blink on the day and only 2 pics (see attached) came out. Ignore the poor quality but it is better than nothing.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 19:20:50 »
Well, I never thought I'd see the day when you could buy a Kent Colliery model railway loco 'off the shelf', but courtesy of Hornby from next year you'll be able to do so..!

http://www.hornby.com/shop/2014-range/steam-locomotive-and-packs/r3228-ncb-austerity-0-6-0st-j94-class-47/

This is a 00 gauge model of one of the Hunslet Austerities that worked at Betteshanger Colliery, as depicted by Hornby it is in the condition that it ran for the last couple of years of its existence, - after it lost its 'ARTHUR LEIGHTON' nameplates.

The real loco was transferred to Betteshanger from Holditch Colliery in Staffordshire in 1966.

Dowtyprop

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 00:21:46 »
Both of the winding engines were steam until 1976. They were then replaced with electric winders.
I left Betteshanger Colliery in 1970 and by then the steam engines had been replaced.
I helped with the repairs when the winding brake was serviced and a one way valve had been put in backwards and the cage wouldn't stop. One cage went through the sump and the other was left dangling by its detaching hook from the headgear.

overman

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 10:31:52 »
Both of the winding engines were steam until 1976. They were then replaced with electric winders.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 19:20:50 »
As I said 'according to the 'LEGEND' I heard'. Was not Betteshanger electrically wound? I heard that the winding drum ran away quite early in the life of the pit and the engines were replaced by motors.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

overman

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 19:08:56 »
I've visited Trehafod pit - and excellent experience.  The winding house machinery is incredible.  Is any of the Kent Coalfield machinery still in existence?

All of the surface equipment was cut up and sold for scrap.
None of any surface equipment was thrown down the shaft at any of the Kent pits.
I know, I was there.

IanDB

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 22:49:10 »
Thanks to Overman for explaining this photograph from the "Coalfield Heritage Initiative Kent" gallery.........
Powered supports being installed on "52s" the last coalface to be worked at Betteshanger Colliery.

IanDB

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 22:43:02 »
The last photo is powered supports being installed on the the last face that was to be worked at Betteshanger (52s Face).

Thanks Overman. I couldn't decide if it was an installation or a salvage.......I guessed wrong.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 21:31:37 »
I've visited Trehafod pit - and excellent experience.  The winding house machinery is incredible.  Is any of the Kent Coalfield machinery still in existence?

As far as I know only at the bottom of the shafts........ (According to the legends I have heard.).

S4.

Such a shame - those winding engines were quite something.  I presume they have all been broken for scrap.

JW

overman

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 21:25:35 »
The last photo is powered supports being installed on the the last face that was to be worked at Betteshanger (52s Face). The Trade union would not agree to work week ends to make up for a fall in production while this face came "on line" so the board closed the pit.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 22:04:31 »

As far as I know only at the bottom of the shafts........ (According to the legends I have heard.).

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 21:16:32 »
I've visited Trehafod pit - an excellent experience.  The winding house machinery is incredible.  Is any of the Kent Coalfield machinery still in existence?

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 19:57:36 »
Have been down Big Pit. Very enlightning, and worth a visit to get some idea of conditions underground. Today they are lowering a piano into the pit, in order to hold a concert, in memory of all those who have lost their lives underground.
Also  www.rhonddaheritagepark.com  at Trehafod Rhondda is worth a visit
Hope this is not too off post, but many of Kent miners came from South Wales

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines