Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Short Brothers of Rochester  (Read 57484 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 185
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Short Brothers of Rochester
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 16:38:40 »
But would it not be as far as possible from any metal buildings etc? I can understand the circle being marked out, but what is the 'Y'?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

seafordpete

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 16:10:46 »
For setting compasses? Similar in front of most RAF Control Towers if you think back

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 185
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 15:17:40 »
Here are some details of Shorts Seaplane Works, dated 19 August 1946. Interesting to compare with the 1919 photo.

Apologies for the small size. The originals are full screen size but Photobucket has reduced them. Press  CTRL &  + to enlarge.

The north end of the factory.

No 3 Shop was the final assembly shop.

The south end of the factory.

Does any one know what the circular area with the ‘Y’ shaped ‘thingy’ at the right hand end would have been?

Cross sections of buildings (Shown in direction of arrows on plan)

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 203
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 13:31:00 »
The aircraft in Darrenh's photo of July-12-11 is an Imperial Airways Short Calcutta.
The chap sharing the cockpit with Churchill is John Lankester Parker chief test pilot for Short Brothers 1918-45.
Log Driver's Waltz Kate & Anna McGarrigle

MOK

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 14:24:12 »
Interesting picture, thanks for posting. I used to park my car near where the cars on the picture are parked and walk through the old factory to get to the towers.
Good to see how it used to be.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 20:31:56 »
This one may be of interest to local history interest and military history.   It is the Shorts Factory circa late 1940s. 

The view may not  be familiar to anyone who has not gone inside the main factory, of what is now BAE Systems Rochester.  It is looking towards Horsted College from Rochester Maidstone Road.

I will try and explain.  The main roof view (somewhat enhanced) is the existing main factory, erected by Shorts and is the 25 foot hangar.  The more derelict buildings to the bottom left are the Pobjoys Aeroengine Factory.  The so-called, William-Elliott main entrance is the low building coloured white on the RHS side of the enhanced roof line.  This building is now two storey.

In  the background, at the top is the Fort Horsted College.  You will note the curved roadway that is now Marconi Way.   

Of particular interest to the military enthusiats on this site is the fact that the old roof of the 40 foot hangar is still in camoflage to blend with the woodland to the left.  The main roof of the 25 foot hangar has been replaced which places it as post war.

I thank a colleague of mine, Chris B for the use of this photograph.
Dave

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2010, 19:36:28 »
Here's a book which may be of interest. I got it on loan from Herne Bay library:

The Archive Photographs Series, Shorts Aircraft, by Mike Hooks. Published by Chalford Publishing Co., 1995. ISBN 0752401939.
Currently on Amazon for around £5.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 14:50:07 »
Not sure how much of this information has already been added but I just came across a reference to the site.  The site was taken over by Shorts in 1913 with adjacent land being bought in 1920 for the construction of several factories.  Shorts and Harland were created in the 1930?s in Belfast.  The WWII aircraft production was managed by the Government and in November 1947 the site was purchased and conveyed to The Ministry of Supply on 12th April 1948.  Included in the transfer were:

*   Tunnelled in chalk brick lined
*   620" long
*   Workshop

And:
*   Tunnelled in chalk brick
lined
*   About 8500" long
*   Tunnelled ARP shelters

Underground tunnels to the South East were purchased during 1950 from adjacent land owners whose properties were Borstal Road at surface level.  Tunnels found North East of the site were not purchased and treated separately as "Substitute shelter scheme".  Between 1948 and the 1960?s different parts of the site were leased to numerous different engineering companies until the site began to be sold off in sections, the last to be sold by the Secretary of State for Defence was in 1975.

The new owners of the individual sections were:

CAV Ltd - 16th July 1954
Blaw Knox Ltd - 30 Dec 1955
Ozonair Eng. Ltd - 6 Oct 1958
Wm Palfrey Ltd - 2 Nov 1960
City of Rochester - Highway 17 March 1961
CAV Ltd - 25 Nov 1963
Berry Ede & White - 19 Sep 1975
Medway BC - Supplemental 20 Feb 1976

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2010, 05:56:38 »
That's a great photo, thanks for sharing.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Solarp

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 22:04:57 »
Thanks man! this pic means a lot to me, so glad I found it! My dad was sure he had the picture somewhere but we could never find it, so when going through the albums with my uncle (his brother) he pointed out that this was when she worked in Shorts and went onto explain what she did there :)

Solarp

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 18:34:17 »
Finally after about a year of searching I have found the picture of the Shorts Factory workers during WW2, the women you can see in this picture were part of the bomb manufacturing team making the casings and shells to be sent to the military. Unfortunately there is no date, but I am 100% sure of this as the lady you can see front row 2nd from the right is my Grandmother, and she worked here during the war  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 14:21:22 »
A short's bus!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 16:12:17 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 13:40:38 »

iconic

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 19:55:38 »
Aerial shot taken in 1950.  

Tug of war winners 1923 from the Shorts Bros inter shop competition.  Original photo can be found at Rochester Library.

those old barages in the picture were made from concrete (cement?) and were still there back in the 1980's, there was also an old BSA motorcycle near the far right one sticking out the mud....the owner a CAV worker got so cheesed off with it not starting he heaved it over the railings in the 70's!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines