News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Air raid shelter in chalk quarry near Sittingbourne.  (Read 8666 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
Re: Air raid shelter in chalk quarry near Sittingbourne.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 16:41:14 »
Re Highsted chalk quarry  -   I think that the tunnel beneath the road that connected both quarries was a railway tunnel.

There was a standard gauge system at Highsted quarries, quite isolated from the mainline railway.

Initially steam-worked the railway was unusually converted to 3rd-rail electric, with several 4-wheel 'steeple-cab' locomotives by Hawthorn Leslie & Metro-Vic  [Metropolitan Vickers].

I have a few slides of the operation in 1970 [just before closure] & remember being told that the line was usually used only at night when electricity prices were reduced.
I'll get these slides scanned.

GRANDAROG's post 10/7/09 in 'Highsted Quarries' in the 'Industrial' section mentions that the chalk was milled into a slurry & pumped via an underground pipeline to APCM's Murston works at Sittingbourne.

There were a lot of flints in the quarried chalk & I remember huge piles of them at the mill.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 15:47:34 »
I`ve just discovered a very old postcard to which are attached (in a little pocket) some miniatures. One of them is the Chalk Quarry, in Cromers Road, Sittingbourne. The original is very small, but here`s my attempt at re-shooting it. Strange spelling of Q(h)uarry!

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 19:54:54 »
The access to the pits either side of Cromers Road was by ramped entry slopes either side of the road approx 50 yards up from the Highsted /Stockers/Cromers crossroads.The last time I looked the ramp to the pit behind Ruins Barn road was more or less completely forested with tree growth. When I was a Kid 1945/50sthe road was white there, where the machinery crossed from one to the other.
The Sittingbourne side of the Road was lined for the entire length with Cherry Plum Trees.There are still quite a lot of them there.

Rog

A Rare Find

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 17:07:31 »
The road tunnel that you are looking for has been blocked off for a few years, i think.        I used to go down there as a kid and the roof had caved in badly back then and was quite dangerous (about 30 years ago).

Yep, I found the road tunnel and posted some photos under the 'Industrial' section. I think there must be another one at least under Cromers Road, but it`s a large search area.

Offline Roland

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 17:04:28 »
The road tunnel that you are looking for has been blocked off for a few years, i think.        I used to go down there as a kid and the roof had caved in badly back then and was quite dangerous (about 30 years ago).

A Rare Find

Air raid shelter in chalk quarry near Sittingbourne.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 16:47:40 »
I found this by mistake as I was looking for the road tunnel which joined the chalk quarry's which are located to the South of Sittingbourne and I believe are called Highsted chalk quarries. All are now unused at least by the chalk making industry.

The shelter is cut into the chalk face and forms an unlined 'U' shape with concrete reinforced entrances. Its only about 40' long and has been partly backfilled. I suspect there might be more on the site somewhere.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines