News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham  (Read 53333 times)

merc

Re: Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 16:02:34 »
Very interesting Kyn :)

This is Porters Lodge by the main gate, which was the old Police Station for the Hospital.

According to some information i have, No 5 and 6 of the residences that are around the Southern side of the Hospital, were originally Police Quarters.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 13:50:47 »
Metropolitan Police.
Dockyard Station
Chatham Division.
10th September 1903

I beg to submit the attached Reference Sheet received from Deputy Insp. General Pontem(?) R.N. of the Re. now at Hospital Chatham asking me to furnish the probably number of Police necessary for the new Naval Hospital at Chatham.
The new Hospital in question is situated about 2 miles from the Dockyard and is considerably isolated.
The grounds are about 40 acres in extent and a number of large Blocks of buildings for the accommodation of 600 patients, besides Official residences out buildings have been erected thereon.
It is surrounded on one side by a low brick wall, and on the other by a low iron fence, both of which can be easily climbed.  It is understood that the new Hospital will be occupied sometime next year.
The Police Force for this establishment will have to rely considerably on its own measures as it is situated so far from other Naval establishments at which means Police at employed and must be self supporting.
I therefore submit that the newest estimate of the number of Police required to safe guard the establishments is as follows:

1 Station Sergeant for general charge.
3 Section Sergts. for gate duty in three reliefs.
6 Constables for 2 beats in three reliefs.
1 Constable for cleaning and charge of fire plant, and filling vacancies caused by sick leave.
While dealing with this duty ect I will point out that at present no provision appears to have been made for any of the Police to reside in quarters on the premises.  Which I submit is essential in view of the isolated position and distance from the Dockyard, and I order to form a reserve of duty in case of emergency.
Commissioners directions as to the reply to be sent to Deputy Insp. General is respectfully asked.

?. Smith Supt

Rex

Re: Medway Hospital
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 20:31:42 »
i remember when i was in between schools, i was actually at fairview infants/juniors then failed me 11 plus, so was destined for Upbury, looking at this clip brought back a few memories, as the last year i was at fairview, we didnt have enough classrooms to go round,so we used to meet at the school gates, and wait for two buses. these were Pilchers coaches, (seen in another thread) i was 9 at the time, so it would have been 1964, the buses then used to pick up two classrooms full of kids, and drive off to the Naval hospital (is it still called that)? where we had our lessons.
looking at the picture you can make out what looks like a pathway leading off from york avenue, where there was a door in the old wall, which led you to the 4 blocks, our classrooms were in the 3rd block, closest to the doorway. i remember the block next to us, was what people said was the haunted one, we used to have our milk breaks outside this block, i know it seems a long, long time ago, but if memory serves me right, it was haunted by a sailor who had lost leg in a shipping accident, and had hung himself in this block, his head became half - severed by the force of the fall and the tale was that you would hear the clunk, clunk,clunk of his stumped leg on dark, wet and stormy days and nights..(is there anyway this can be verified, i would love to find out more about this)

where the number 48 is in the pic, is where upbury manor was built, (well just past it) , but you probably know that.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 16:50:56 »
And another plan from 1938 also showing a proposed shelter

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 15:58:23 »
And a plan  ;D

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 15:53:58 »
Originally built as a Naval hospital there is little remaining of the original building today.  The reamins of the main building are hidden within many additions that have been added since the 70's when it was opened as a civilian hospital.  The hospital opened in 1905, two wards remain with the clock tower and water tower at the rear.  Here is a aerial photo borrowed from Medway cityark showing the original hospital setup within local housing.  Also note the tunnel entrance at the bottom left of the picture...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines