News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cervia the Steam tug  (Read 2982 times)

Potholer12

Re: Cervia the Steam tug
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:00:30 »
Thanks Karlostg that link provided a fantastic glimpse of a ships life stranger than fiction.  it is impossible not to believe that little ship has a soul and a will to survive, especially after the pathe clip of her own refloating after being sunk by Arcadia. Brilliant story!

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 22
    • Bluewasp Media
Re: Cervia the Steam tug
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:41:38 »
I was lucky enough to see a steaming many many years ago, theres some history and info on the Preston website http://www.thesteammuseum.org/cervia.html

Potholer12

Cervia the Steam tug
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:42:15 »
I caught a headline on a free paper in the local takeaway regarding the refurbishment to seagoing condition of Cervia, the wonderful old steam tug rotting away at Ramsgate Harbour.  I remember taking my children all round her during previous works on her 20 odd years ago and some local author had published some "Thomas the tank engine" style stories about her, these being much enjoyed by the kids as they had walked the decks of the star.  I believe Preston steam museum is taking the lead in the restoration and wonder if any forum members can add to factual history of this impressive craft, or indeed to the proposed refitting project/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines