News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: South Foreland Battery  (Read 66665 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: South Foreland Battery
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2016, 20:15:26 »
Internal photos of the above ground magazine.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:57 »
I think the 'Fortress' incorporated the SF Battery and the nearby 4 x 5.5" Battery at St. Margarets plus the 2 x 15" Wanstone Farm Battery but I stand to be corrected on this.

cliveh

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2013, 15:31:30 »
Thing that's puzzled me about SF Battery is the two Plotting Rooms. One is a Battery Plotting Room, the other a Fortress Plotting Room. Battery PR is self-explanatory, but what of the Fortress PR?

Alastair

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2013, 19:22:54 »
Went on an excellent National Trust guided walk around the Battery site this morning. A big thanks to JohnG for leading it and for his very informative narrative on the way round.

cliveh

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2013, 17:26:36 »
The second engine room has been demolished but we do have photographs of it.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2013, 15:08:06 »
Went up to SF Battery the other day and was amazed to see how much it had become overgrown in the past year or two, almost to the point of obliteration. No 2 Engine House can no longer be seen from the road, etc.
Does anyone know if No 1 Engine House is still standing? I tried to find it but all I found were No 1 gun's magazines. Lots of jungle and undergrowth but couldn't find it at all. I thought someone had pictures of it on this or another forum.

Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2013, 14:17:40 »
My pearls of wisdom appear not to have materialised on the recent post list. Maybe this will. Re plans to record structures at south Foreland Battery. On my last post.

Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2013, 15:24:04 »
Article in the East Kent Mercury on Thursday re South Foreland Battery. It seems that the White Cliffs Countryside Partnerrship, having benefited from a Lottery Grant to conserve the landscape heritage between Dover & Folkestone, is preparing to survey and record the military structures at South Foreland and would like to hear from anyone with relevant information.
The article specified Nos 2 & 3 guns but I rang Dr Kirk Alexander, who is in charge of the project, and he told me that the whole site was being looked at. He had a rough idea what he wanted to do - record what is/was there and have films of underground works for future generations to see. Nothing is set in stone, he told me and all ideas are welcome. I directed him to this Forum, which he has already looked at and he said he would e-mail me with any further developments.
I will pass on said developments as they appear.

Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2012, 15:44:08 »
Thnks JohnG,

I bow to your obviously superior knowledge and envy you the chance to have got first hand information from men who had served at the Battery.
I didn't, incidentally, get any information from other forums, it all came from this one.

Regards

Alastair

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2012, 18:49:01 »
Alastair.  It was possible to see the sea from the South Foreland Battery Observation Post, these were long range guns and it was not nessessary to see the water immediately infront of the guns.
You ask where did I get my information from.  I received much of my information from Brigadier Richards who was the Commanding Officer of 540 Coast Regiment,
I have also spent much time talking to men who served on these batteries, sadly most of these gentlemen are no longer with us.  I also have copies of the Fort Record Books.  I have also spent much time in the Royal Marines Library, the Royal Artillery Library, the National Archive, plus other libraries.  Brig Richards gave me all his papers on Dover when he died.  I also spent much time with Col. Arnold, Battery Commander of Langdon and also served at Dover Castle and Earstern Arm Battery.  I am still learning.  You should not believe everything you hear from other forums.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2012, 18:26:44 »
You are corrct, M1 was near Fan Bay.  There is a series of photographs of this radar with and without camouflage and from different angles.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2012, 17:48:31 »
"...Dedicated Coastal Artillery radar systems were quickly developed allowing for both early warning and fire control, with the first experimental site being established at South Foreland Battery (designated B(p)X B indicating that the site belonged to the B series battery control radar sites and the X an experimental site). B series battery control radar was provided at Lydden Spout (site B3), Capel (B4), Wanstone (B5), Hougham (B6), South Foreland (B8) and Fan Bay (B9) Coastal Artillery radar continued to be developed throughout the war and Dover again was the first location to be equipped with more advanced systems."
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2012, 17:46:55 »
Thank you, I will upload the pics in the right place soon!

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2012, 17:46:10 »
Just found it on a KCC pdf...M1, Fan Hole. M2 Lydden Spout. M3 Walmer.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

jammy36

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 17:25:49 »
Kyn, JohnG -  I think the prefix on the three photos is M1 which was the designation for Fan Hole CD/CHL. Lydden Spout CD/CHL was M2, but the equipment at the two would have looked much the same.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines