News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: South Foreland Battery  (Read 74555 times)

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Re: South Foreland Battery
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2012, 13:36:24 »
Yes, I did mean 3.7-inch guns, sorry typing error.  There is a thick Volume of data on Operation Diver in the data from EH.  JohnG

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:53 »
John, I think you mean 3.7 inch rather than 3.3 inch. There were also a few hundred Bofors 40mm and Z Batteries used in the Diver operation. The 3.7 inch guns were either mobile ones or fixed guns mounted on temporary "Pile" platforms so have left no permanent impression of their existence.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2012, 21:21:01 »
As far as I understand the LAA gun was a 2pdr. pompom.  The time there were 3.3-inch HAA guns all along the coast, plus other AA guns, was during Operation Diver which was to try and shoot down the Doodle Bugs.  JohnG

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2012, 15:40:33 »
Reproduced by kind permission of the Sitka Historical Society. 6" Battery Engine House then and now.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2012, 17:03:39 »
Still on the subject of what happened at the Battery, has anyone any ideas on what type of AA gun would have been used in the pit shown in the earlier picture?
I am inclined towards a 20mm Oerlikon, given the diameter of the pit and the fixing bolts. Could be a Bofors but possibly the base diameter is too wide.
A website about the AA Regt stated that there were 3.7" guns all along this part of the coast. It simply wouldn't fit in the pit - nor would, I think, a 3".
All views welcome.

Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2011, 15:22:50 »
I have been doing some mental working out as to how the battery actually worked. No 1 Engine House, according to the wiring diagram, seems to have fed directly to the Rectifier opposite the Mess.
No 2 Engine House, by the Guard Room, appears to have had its own lower output rectifier as it only powered the Mess and surrounding accomodation but was also connected to the main Rectifier from which everything else was supplied, including the other Batteries.

John G appears to be right when he says there were only 2 Engine Houses, not 3 as marked on the plan, assuming the Rectifier House didn't have an Engine in it as well.

On the subject of No 2 Engine House - I reckon it would have housed one or more water-cooled diesel or petrol engines, dynamo/generator and rectifier plus a fuel tank.
Beside the EH is a small building about the size of an average household dustbin store which is marked as an Oil Store. Possibly for lubricating oil, looks too small for fuel. I find it hard to believe that, in such a cavernous building, space could not be found for a few cans of oil. So what was it? Was it for fuel? Three 44 gallon drums at the most is my guess. So why wasn't it kept in the main building?

And I still think the building (and others) would have been painted in camouflage.

Any ideas on the subject?

Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2011, 12:48:35 »
Thanks John. I only queried it because on the plan the rectifier building is also marked as an engine room.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2011, 19:45:40 »
South Foreland Battery had two engine rooms each putting out DC current, the one by the guard room and the other not far from No 1 gun.  There was another very similar looking buiding between the two engine rooms, near the magazine for two and three guns, that was the rectifier room, this turned the mains electric supply from AC to DC.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2011, 16:53:20 »
Yup, great pictures unfairytale. Some questions, if I may.
Did the Engine Room also contain the Rectifier in all 3 Engine Houses?

And am I right in thinking a Rectifier was a transformer converting the generator output to the right voltage? Meaning that in each Engine House there would have been an engine, a dynamo/generator and a transformer/rectifier? Is that right?

And did the South Foreland Generators supply all the batteries as far as Langdon?

While I'm on the subject of engine houses, number 3 Engine House is made of very light coloured brick. Is it logical to assume this would have been painted with camouflage?

Alastair

AnDy

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2011, 21:48:54 »
Super pictures, many thanks for taking the time to up-load them to the forum...

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2011, 21:27:12 »
No3. Emplacement.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2011, 21:25:51 »
No1 Gun.

No2.

No3.

No4.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2011, 21:18:09 »
The Battery taken from Upper road during WW2.

Aerial.

AnDy

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2011, 20:04:47 »
Alastair, the land has grazing, rare-bred cows on-site, so gaining permission to dig out the gun positions might prove tricky with the land-owner and the underground dressing station at St.Margarets was, as you mention, opened up a couple of years ago and does need further investigation.

If you could contact the owner of either/or to gain permission to dig on-site, i'll certainly lend a hand in any digging work.

Both sites are very intriguing and there is more to be known of these WW2 installations.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2011, 15:11:27 »
I agree with theartist (also as an avid history person) that excavating the site would be an extremely useful idea. All sorts of obstacles would be put in the way by English Heritage (or whoverer owns the site now), Health and Safety, Insurance, etc. but these could be overcome. I don't know of a resored gun battery of this scale in Britain and it would be trgic for all to be lost to future generations.

Another one to do would be the Underground Hospital at St Margaret's. They had a go on the Inside Out programme but chickened out when cracks appeared in the roof. No-one thought of using supports, obviously. So it was sealed up again. No-one's been down there for 60+ years.

Alastair

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines