News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pembroke Gate  (Read 12447 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: Pembroke Gate
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 09:37:39 »
Pembroke Gate was the busiest gate. A fleet of buses could be seen in the mornings and after shifts. What cannot be seen from Kyn's photo is the paper sellers' stalls. We used to have a pass that was so simple you could make your own, and on exit the Police would do random searches.
Good old days
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:34 »
Pembroke Gate first aid box

Derek

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 17:26:58 »
That gate was the place where my fingers were literally numb for about seven out of an eight hour shift directing traffic. However there were lots of happy memories of the place, we had to parade for each tour of duty in the large search room and hear our fate for the next shift which meant that one wanted a beat rather than point duty at a Gate. I have a fond memory of being selected to wave Lord Mountbatten out of HMS Pembroke and 'he' saluting me instead of Vice Versa.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:20:13 »
The M.O.D Police closing Pembroke Gate for the last time, 31st March, 1984:

cliveh

Such a sad day. As I worked afloat I would use all the gates depending on where my vessel was, but Pembroke was always a busy gate with buses and the paper sellers stand. I was working away when the yard closed, but it must have been so sad to lose all the wonderful jobs and skills.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 14:36:43 »
What a very sad photo, but thanks all the same cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 14:32:14 »
The M.O.D Police closing Pembroke Gate for the last time, 31st March, 1984:

cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 14:11:30 »
I'm sure this is the original Pembroke Gate and if you look at it in conjunction with my postcard posted on the Tramways thread from the same period, as I mentioned below, you'll see the trams parked opposite the RNB Main Gate.

cliveh

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 14:06:49 »
I think your right, you can see the police offices beside the gate.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 14:02:14 »
Having looked again at cliveh's photo, and the maps referred to by swiftone, I wonder if this is indeed a photo of the original Pembroke Gate. I cannot make out an entrance to the Barracks which should show on the right and the flag pole is noted on the earlier map, but not the later version again posted by swiftone. So, I wonder if the trams arrived before the gate was moved, but they terminated opposite the Barracks Gate. This would account for the running mateys! What do you think?

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:09 »
Also, don't forget that the dockyard gate was much nearer the basins at one time - some distance from Pembroke Barracks gate.
See the maps here.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7758.msg63069#msg63069

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:24:45 »
Forgot I'd posted a similar view on the Transport / Tramways thread:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14102.0

Shows the trams parked a little further up Dock Road so perhaps they were running for the trams.

cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:18:55 »
Here's an earlier view of Pembroke Gate:

That's an interesting photo cliveh which I haven't seen before. Any idea of date? It clearly pre-dates the trams. A nice row of horse cabs. In the background can just be seen the sheerlegs in basin two, but, where were they all running to? The nearest pubs / houses / eating house would have bee Brompton, as far as I know, quite a trot up that hill for an hour? dinner break

Unfortunately it's not dated mikeb but I would guess sometime in the 1890's?

Did I read somewhere that the workers would meet their children lunchtimes who would have brought 'hot' dinners from home for them? Or was that in later times?

cliveh

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:48:54 »

That's an interesting photo cliveh which I haven't seen before. Any idea of date? It clearly pre-dates the trams. A nice row of horse cabs. In the background can just be seen the sheerlegs in basin two, but, where were they all running to? The nearest pubs / houses / eating house would have been Brompton, as far as I know, quite a trot up that hill for an hour? dinner break

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:12 »

cliveh

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:12 »
The picture shows the Dockyard Pembroke Gate which should not be confused with the Main Gate of Pembroke Barracks which was often referred to as 'Pembroke' Gate.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines