News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jezreels Tower - Gillingham  (Read 29726 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Jezreels Tower - Gillingham
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 00:55:05 »
Yorkshire Gazette - Saturday 29 March 1890

THE JEZREELITES: A SAD STORY.
The Chatham and Rochester News reports the death of Noah Drew, aged 72, a well-known member of the Jezreelites, or "New and Latter House of Israel," the strange sect which has its headquarters Chatham. Drew was formerly a prosperous farmer at Michigan, United States, and had a well-stocked holding of 100 acres, his own freehold. He "lost his head" on the subject of the "ingathering of Israel," the mystic 144,000 of the Book of Revelation, and was induced by the late James Jershom Jezreel, the leader the sect, to convert all that he had into hard cash. A portion of this money went towards defraying the cost of a preaching tour in America, for Jezreel and his wife, now also dead, and the remainder was handed over, at Jezreel's command, to the "treasury" of the "House of Israel." Drew never got any of his money back, and since he had a dispute with some of the leaders he had been subjected to insult and annoyance. Although the present leaders are said to keep their carriage and pair, they refused to bury the poor old Michigan farmer, and consequently application was made to the Medway Guardians to give him a pauper's funeral, which was granted. It is even stated that the only articles of food the Jezreelites provided for Drew and his wife for many mouths past were bread and potatoes. The Rev Canon Cooke, of Brompton, near Chatham, and other clergymen are trying to raise funds by public subscription to provide an outfit for the widow and a passage by steamship to America, her native country.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 17:22:51 »
You may be interested in this!

" Leigh Rectory, 21st August 1889.

............Do you remember the large round building in Kent which we were wondering what it could be? Papa told someone who was going up the Medway to enquire about it, & they brought back word that it was called the 'Jezebel' house', & 'some did say the Devils House'! It is unfinished & deserted. I believe it was built by a rich woman who invented some odd sect. She had some followers in Kent who thought her a Prophetess & she persuaded them she w[oul]d never die, but she did & the house was never finished. Her followers dispersed............"

This was in a letter we have been transcribing for the local Historical Society written by Juliana Stuart King to her son. She was the wife of the Rector Walker King formerly the incumbent at Stone by Dartford. He was son of Venerable Walker King, Rector of Stone & Arch-Deacon of Rochester and nephew of Edward, the Bishop of  Lincoln and brother-in-law to Rev Charles Andrewes of Wouldham. No doubt they would have seen it when visiting the area - I don't think they would have been able to see the tower from Leigh-on-Sea church tower but maybe if out sailing in the Yantlet channel. Of course it wasn't round but could have seemed so from afar.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 13:20:09 »
I've heard a lot about this building, but I've only ever seen just one photograph of it, in a book about old photographs on the Medway towns.
HOWEVER, my father use to say that, has a boy he actually remembers seeing the building, before it was demolished.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2015, 14:23:36 »
Interior, a platform, which could be hydraulically raised 30ft above floor level, was placed in the centre of the amphitheatre. This would enable all worshippers to see and hear preachers and listen to the sect's locally renowned choirs. The temple could accommodate up to 5,000 people, although nowhere near this number was ever reached.    from Gillingham and Around by Brian Joyce & Sophie Miller

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 09:14:48 »
Thank you oobydooby, I found that really interesting as I did not realise that the buildings in Canterbury street were anything to do with the Jezzreel tower so now I can pass that on to my daughter as we were only talking about it a few weeks ago.
***I am still the child within***

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 23:06:47 »
Another link to a picture not shown in this thread.  Remains of the tower.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/40570

a picture http://strangedaze.doomby.com/medias/images/jt1-2.jpg

An article  http://hubpages.com/hub/Jezreels-Tower-and-Joanna-Southcott#

Hope these are ok to post here.
©2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 22:29:46 »
Not sure how to post a link, but I have just found a short pathe news item showing the Jerzreels Tower.  I hope this is not posted elsewhere.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/jezreel-tower-issue-title-why-bring-that-up
©2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:23 »
Yes, it was later called the Gaumont - I forgot that :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 10:27:43 »
I don't remember the cinema as anything other than the Palace, but  the current Arriva timetable still shows the top of Canterbury Street as 'Jezreels, Watling Street'. So how far is that name for that location still part of the local lingo? If I said "it's near the Jezreels" to a schoolchild, or to someone recently moved into the area, would they know where I meant?
peterchall I'm sure the last few years the cinema was called the Gaumont  :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 21:18:33 »
The newspaper copy in Smilerís Post#18 (16/10/2012) states the tower to have beem 144 feet square = an area of approximately 20,000 sq.ft. Mercís Post#28 (24/8/2013) states ď.....there is in course of erection a huge stone building which is said to be capable of accommodating 144,000 of the sect who will eventually assemble there.Ē

144,000 is just over half of todayís population of the entire Medway Towns, and if it was intended that they should live in the tower, in spaces of 10ft x 10ft (an average bedroom), each floor could accommodate 200 people in single rooms or 400 people in double rooms, say an average of 300. That would require a tower 480 floors high, even without stairways, passages, and communal areas like dining halls, kitchens, chapels, etc!!

If the sect actually did publish those figures as its policy, could that have been the origin of the belief that it intended to build a tower to Heaven?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 23:31:47 »
I don't remember the cinema as anything other than the Palace, but  the current Arriva timetable still shows the top of Canterbury Street as 'Jezreels, Watling Street'. So how far is that name for that location still part of the local lingo? If I said "it's near the Jezreels" to a schoolchild, or to someone recently moved into the area, would they know where I meant?

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 22:10:10 »
I too, remember seeing the Jezreel Tower on many an occasion and of course, hearing the story of how it going to be built to heaven. Yes and you got a bus to the Jezreels and I am also sure that the cinema just along the 'top road' was also called, I presume unofficially perhaps, the Jezreel Cinema. Our family always called it that.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 21:22:18 »
While I clearly remember the Jezreels Tower - it was actually listed as that in the local bus timetables, and one simply stated "Jezreels, please" when the conductor came for the fare - that's the most comprehensive information I've yet seen about its background. Thanks, Merc.

merc

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 17:28:42 »
Wednesday, June 15, 1887

Up to a late hour on Monday night a body of Kent Constabulary, under the charge of Inspector Lacy, were engaged at New Brompton, near Chatham, in quelling a disturbance, which, but for the timely intervention of the police, might have resulted in loss of life and considerable damage to property. for several years, the religious sect calling themselves "Jezreelites," and professing to be members of "The new and later House of Israel," have taken up quarters at New Brompton, where there is in course of erection a huge stone building which is said to be capable of accommodating 144,000 of the sect who will eventually assemble there, with the view of finding employment for those members who already have taken up their residence in the neighbourhood, some twenty of thirty shops have been opened in Brompton and Chatham. Two years ago the founder of the sect, a man named James White, who was a private soldier stationed at Chatham, died, and the management of the sect devolved upon his wife Esther, who since that time has styled herself "Queen Esther." Under Queen Esther's regime continual internal dissensions have occurred, and a number of the members who have come from America and other parts of the globe and deposited the whole of their worldy belongings unreservedly in the Jezreelite exchequer, have been turned adrift. Amongst these persons is a man named Noah Drew, who a short time since was a flourishing farmer in Michigan, who, with several sons and his wife, was induced to come to England and throw in his lot with the sect.

On Monday night Drew was walking along High Street, New Brompton, when he was met by a procession of Jezreelites, with music playing and banners flying. Some remarks appear to have been made to Drew, who thereupon retaliated by charging the leaders with fraud. A large concourse of people speedily gathered around, and Drew recounted his grievances. The five or six hundred people who had assembled, cried "Shame on the Jezreelites!" broke into rank, and smashed the instruments, tore the banners into fragments, and made a raid on the Jezreelites house, almost wrecking it. On the arrival of the constabulary the crowd soon dispersed.

From The Birmingham Daily Post.

merc

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 17:56:27 »
Some old maps of the area:

1896, 1909 and 1932-38.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines