News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jezreels Tower - Gillingham  (Read 29804 times)

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
Re: Jezreels Tower - Gillingham
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 17:21:54 »
Lovely, Thank you peterchall. Much appreciated.

BM.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 16:23:26 »
Subject to correction by someone with more accurate information, it was where I have marked in red on these GE and Bing Maps captures:
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 12:46:45 »
The Tower was demolished a couple of years before I was born so I never got the chance to see it.
I wonder if anyone could kindly show me where it stood on a modern map.
I know roughly where it stood but it would be nice to know exactly.

BM.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 11:49:14 »
Driving past the former Jubilee Clips factory at Jezreels yesterday. I noticed the site has a 'SOLD' notice on the Estate Agents board.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 17:41:56 »
   17 December 1881 James Jershom Jezreel, a self declared Messenger of the Lord and leader of a religious sect known as the Jezreelites, today married the daughter of one of his many followers, Clarissa Rogers.
    Jezreel, his new wife and their supporters live communally in Gillingham. Each member of the sect gives money to a community chest managed by Jezreel. He pays all the living expenses including the rent of the homes they occupy.
   The sect's official name is the New and Latter House of Israel and is enrolling new members rapidly. Even the descendant followers of Joanna Southcott have joined the Jezreelites and embraced the teachings of this well built man with a big beard, long flowing hair and piercing eyes.
   Sadly, there are no pictures of Jezreel or his wife. The Flying Roll, the doctrinal tract of the sect, bans the making of graven images and the taking of photographs.Those who know him well say he is a charming man, an articulate and persuasive speaker with a sound business sense.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:56:24 »
    Re thread #9
               As an apprentice we had a lesson re the Jubilee Clips, that they were used by the Japanese Navy and the idea was " borrowed" by an English naval officer who then patented it in England (the Japanese patent was not recognised in England in those days) and so made his fortune.
We were then told about the discovery of everyday items that have made a fortune e.g. boot laces, etc., etc., and things that have been recently discovered. This was to make us think more !!!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

medwayboy

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:16 »
I believe that this is just another example of bureaucratic vandalism, I saw this building as a boy and and it was a part of Gillingham's skyline and history which could have been put to use as a heritage/Arts/Craft center, just how many places of historic interest have we lost and will lose 'just so that someone can make some money out of it, or to modernise the area?
We should learn to better use what we have and exploit what they have to offer for the public in the future, after all they wouldn't tear down Rochester Castle in order to put up a shopping centre would they?
Ken

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:11:41 »

From "Kent a Chronicle of The Century" by Bob Ogley.

merc

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 13:25:25 »
Sunday, November 16, 1885

A religious fraternity styling themselves the "New and Latter House of Israel" have for some months past taken up their headquarters at New Brompton, near Chatham, under the leadership of an individual known as Mr. J. J. Jezreel. Latterly it has become known that the functions of Mr. Jezreel have not been confined to the propagation of religious doctrines, but that in different parts of the district he has established some nine or ten businesses, including bakeries, tailoring establishments, etc. It is now announced that within the next six months some 3,000 disciples of the "New and Latter House of Israel" will migrate from America, Australia etc., to New Brompton. An immense building, which it is said will be termed "The Temple" is in course of construction close to the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway, a short distance from New Brompton station. A contract for putting in the foundations of which has been entered into with a firm of local builders at a cost of 1,350. The estimated cost of the building is stated to be 27,000. The influx of the large contingent of Mr. Jezreel's followers, and the extension of the commercial phase of the new faith, is viewed by the tradesmen of the locality with some amount of apprehension.

From Lloyds Weekly Newspaper.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 22:39:21 »
It`s in the display in the lobby in the craft shops in the historic dockyard, opposite the Joiners Shop.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

merc

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 20:13:31 »
Interesting, where is the model please Bilgerat?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 16:44:12 »
Found this architectural model of what the tower would have looked like, had it been completed:

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Fred the Needle

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 16:27:36 »
I'm not sure if this was just hearsay, but I always understood that the tower was built using bricks that were smaller than the standard size.  As I was told,this was so that the brick-maker could sell more.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 16:04:27 »
When a decision was made to demolish the Tower many people thought it was short-sighted as it would have brought tourism to the towns.  I think they were right.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines