News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jezreels Tower - Gillingham  (Read 29714 times)

MOK

Re: Jezreels Tower - Gillingham
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 13:22:51 »
I find it interesting that we all had the same story about building a tower up to heaven, it gave the impression they were all crackpots and thought they could nip up this unlikely construction and have a one to one with God. Perhaps that was the intention, to cast them as nutters because they didnt line up with conventional views.

merc

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 13:01:42 »
1913 advert from The Times.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 17:34:31 »
The site of the Jezreels was taken over by the Lumley-Robinson family for a factory to make Jubilee Clips. These were invented by Cdr Lumley-Robinson while serving in the Royal Navy and living at Gillingham. There was also an electro-plating firm there, I think also owned by the family. They had futher connections with the area in that the manager of Wallis Motors, at one time at the Junction of Gillingham High Street and Marlborough Road, was a son-in-law.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:19 »
Reading about Jezreels Tower brought back memories, mainly that it was the stop where we got off the bus to go to the Strand when I was little.

Thought these photos might be of interest.

Taken from book THE JEZREELITES BY R A BALDWIN

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:07 »

Unfortunately I can't remember ever seeing the Jezreels Tower. The story I heard when I was little was that they were trying to build a tower to heaven, which I later found out, of course, wasn't true. Reading about the details of construction the plans for the interior sounded pretty amazing - pity they ran out of money! Probably wouldn't have stopped its demolition though - after all, it was just some old building, wasn't it? :-(

Yes, Smiffy, I was told the same story about building a tower to heaven. Having spent most of my working life in the printing trade I`m interested in the printing works that was planned for the building.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 22:49:11 »

Unfortunately I can't remember ever seeing the Jezreels Tower. The story I heard when I was little was that they were trying to build a tower to heaven, which I later found out, of course, wasn't true. Reading about the details of construction the plans for the interior sounded pretty amazing - pity they ran out of money! Probably wouldn't have stopped its demolition though - after all, it was just some old building, wasn't it? :-(

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 15:22:01 »

A recently discovered postcard of the Jezreels, with some others which appear to date from around the very early 1900s. I remember seeing this structure when I was a small child when the bus conductor used to bellow out "JEZREELS". It didn`t look as big as the picture. Perhaps it was partially demolished when I saw it!

merc

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 13:32:09 »
There's an article in this weeks Medway "News" newspaper about the Jezreelites and "Joanna Southcott's Box."

Joanna Southcott was a dairy farmers daughter (1750-1814), who's followers claimed she was a prophet. She left a box with sealed writings, that supposedly gave the answers to all the worlds problems. Her instructions were to only open the box in a time of national crisis, in the presence of all 24 bishops of the Church of England. After she died her followers grew, one of these was James Roland White, who later changed his name to James Jershom Jezreel, and it's he who started building Jezreel's Tower in Gillingham.

The church came under pressure to open Joanna southcott's box during the Crimean and then the first World War, but they refused. It wasn't opened until 1927, only to be found to contain random papers, a lottery ticket, and a pistol. Southcott's followers claimed it wasn't the real box, and in 1960 launched a national newspaper campaign to persuade the 24 bishops to open the real box. According to the Panacea Society, the true box is in their possesion, but bishops declined to get involved saying it would unnecessarily arouse public interest in the affair. One of Joanna Southcott's predictions was that the world would end in 2004. Her and her prophecies became a source of ridicule, Monty Python even made a sketch about the subject in the 70's.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 13:19:23 »
The 7th October issue of the IET's magazine has the following article on Jezreel's Tower:

Jezreel?s Tower - a huge structure that ?could not be removed?

http://kn.theiet.org/magazine/issues/0917/jezreels-tower-0917.cfm

merc

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 21:17:27 »
August 11, 1956

A move is being made which may lead to the demolition of Jezreel's Tower. The owners, Gillingham Co-operative Society have been approached by a contracting firm who offer to demolish it free of charge providing they have use of the rubble. The society approached the Gillingham Borough Council, offering the tower and an area of surrounding land at a nominal price because of its possible value as an historic monument. The council rejected the offer, and a meeting of the society is to be held to decide if the contractors offer should be accepted.

January 20, 1960

Harry Makepeace, aged 30, of South Street, Stockbury, near Maidstone, was killed yesterday when 100 tons of masonry fell and crushed him at Jezreel's Tower, which is being demolished.

Miikae

Jezreels Tower - Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 13:02:48 »
This is an interesting blog link about  the Jezreels Tower,( http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-QFVSjdw7cayiRR0SAIxOBVY-?cq=1 ) it was an amazing landmark at one time as it could be seen for miles , as kids we where told it was supposed to be the stairway to heaven when it was finished .

Mike

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines