News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Volunteer's Memorial - Mote Park, Maidstone  (Read 8760 times)

ChildInCare

Re: The Volunteer's Memorial - Mote Park, Maidstone
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 22:12:37 »
What a pity this historic monument is not kept in order. I have an interest since I was a child in-care with the Caldecott Community which occupied 'The Mote' also known as 'Moat House' during the 1930's. I wasn't resident at The Mote. The Caldecott Community later moved to another Kent mansion the Knatchbull ‘Mersham-le-Hatch’ where I lived 'in grandeur' 1952-1960 with other parentless waifs and strays. That's another story of 'neglect'.

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 00:29:21 »
Hi sapper, there is a sandstone mine under Mote park.

stewyrey.

sapper

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 23:40:25 »
there are stories of a tunnel from mote house to this monument, iv'e never known if there was any truth in them but sure enough if you walk directly towards mote house from here there is a skylight in the grass, or there was back when i was last there about 15 years ago, does anyone know anymore on this ??

merc

The Volunteer's Memorial - Mote Park, Maidstone
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 20:44:04 »

The Volunteer's Memorial Pavilion was erected in 1801, and can be found on the east side of Mote Park, Maidstone.

The inscription on the memorial reads "This Pavilion was erected by the Volunteers of Kent as a tribute of respect to the Earl of Romney, Lord Lieutenant of the County, MDCCCI"

On August 1st 1799 the 5,000 men of the Volunteer Brigades assembled in Mote Park to show their loyalty to Lord Romney. In addition to the troops 20,000 spectators had turned out to catch a glimpse of George III and Queen Charlotte. As they entered the park guns were fired and the review of the troops commenced. Then the Royal party retired to a marquee to recieve an address from the Corporation, after which Lord Romney served a huge feast of 60 lambs, 700 fowls, 300 hams, 220 dishes of beef, 220 meat pies, 220 joints of veal and 220 fruit pies. The next day there was enough food left over to hand out to 600 starving Maidstonians.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines