News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Airships at Kingsnorth, I.O. Grain.  (Read 51937 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
Re: Airships at Kingsnorth, I.O. Grain.
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 20:55:32 »
Tina Bilbe's book is out now and it is pretty good.

Kingsnorth Airship Station. In Defence of the Nation. Tina Bilbe. The History Press. 2013. ISBN 978-0-7524-9153-0. rrp 14.99.
Paperback 235mm x 155mm. 168 pages. 45 black/white photos. 6 maps, plans and drawings.
Also available as an e-book. (I still prefer real books!)

5 chapters cover the site itself (including its pre 1913 and post 1920 history), Research and Production, Operations and Procedures, the airships, and there is an extensive chapter on personnel, mainly military but also civilian.
There is also a station timeline, and a list of sources for those of us who like to delve a little deeper. KHF gets a mention.
The illustrations are well chosen and include maps and plans, as well as photos of the station, airships and personnel.
The author has carried out extensive research and there is a lot of interesting information in this book.
Recommended to all who have an interest in the aviation of the First World War.
Cable Street The Young'uns

Tina Bilbe

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 18:38:10 »
The view from the air is definitely Kingsnorth, there are some fabulous aerial photo's of this site at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. After the war there were all sorts of suggestions put forward for the use of this base, including a balloon store, but it was eventually sold to Messrs. Holm and Co. for wood pulping, the pulp being used for chemicals and papermaking.

John38

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 15:29:42 »
Ouch! Reminds me of the Balloon Sheds at RAF Cardington and National Service

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 15:18:25 »
Just found this photo on my hard drive which I'm pretty sure is Kingsnorth:

cliveh

John38

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 19:24:47 »
What a wonderful thread! Thanks all round. I'm heavily into the history of 'ballooning' but knew nothing of this. Fantastic!

Tina Bilbe

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 19:09:01 »
These pictures are really interesting. My grandfather, Wilfred Claude Rowland, was a Hydrogen Worker at Kingsnorth at the time these were taken. When I started researching his life I was looking for a book or website with at least a chapter on Kingsnorth but could only find scattered scraps of information. Having spent a lot of time at the National Archives, Medway Archives, RAF Archives at Hendon and the Fleet Air Arm Museum, I had gathered so much information that I decided to approach a publisher. My book is due out any day now and, as I was sure would happen, I am now finding more information, pictures and people. Yesterday I discovered someone else is writing a book on the station and I've offered him copies of my research to facilitate his work. I would really like to continue my research and share the results. I can be contacted direct: tbilbe@btinternet.com

MGMIKE

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 15:48:23 »
(Attached) Two more pictures of WW1 personnel at Kingsnorth from my father's album.
Hoping they might stir some memories!

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 49
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 14:58:27 »
Press cutting from 20 Sep 1923.
Seems at least two Sheds were there in 1923

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 13:00:12 »
 :)
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:47 »
That is exactly what I said when taking these pictures!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 09:40:47 »
Any one noticed the resemblance that these sheds have to the covered slips in the Dock Yard?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:49 »
A couple of pictures of the airship shed originally at Kingsnorth.

Ted H

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 15:02:14 »
At least one of  the airship sheds was still there in 1939. I could see it from where I lived in Nelson Rd., Gillingham. I don't know when it was eventually taken down.

MGMIKE

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 21:02:45 »
Thank you for posting my enquiry re my father's service at Kingsnorth.  Of the many photos that I have I have posted a few that may stir some memories.
They had at the time an association called the" Kingsnorth Gasbags" and it appears that they met at a pub called the Crooked Billet.  The attached photo looks very much like the frontage of the Shurland Hotel at Eastchurch, formerly known as the Crooked Billet,  but the current management say they have no record of the group.
Also attached photos of two groups of navy personnel from the collection in case some one may recognise them.

MGMIKE

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 20:57:47 »
Interesting photo MGMIKE.
The photo is of the car of a SS (Sea Scout) airship, BE-2 type.
The car is the fuselage of a Royal Aircraft Factory BE2C aeroplane, minus its flying surfaces, mounted beneath an envelope of 60,000 (later 70,000) cubic feet.
The type was first flown in March 1915. 27 SS airships were built with BE2C cars. 6 were still in service in England in 1918, nos 9, 13, 14, 16, 20 and 24. By 1918 they were mainly used for training.
The pilot flew the machine from the rear cockpit, with the observer W/T operator in the front, sometimes, as here, a third cockpit was added in the rear.
Eight 16 lb bombs or one 112 lb bomb could be carried.
See also http://www.airshipsonline.com/airships/ss/index.html
Cable Street The Young'uns

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines