News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gore Court, King Georges Playing Field, Sittingbourne  (Read 23672 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Gore Court, King Georges Playing Field, Sittingbourne
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 13:36:49 »
Excellent, and yes, the church is the ruined one by the stadium. Good luck with your searching. :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 13:25:09 »
My library have the book and are holding it for me, and I found the house on the pic, the shop is no 10 so their's was showing even if it is in the distance.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:56:38 »
Just had a look at the Census again and the houses are numbered numerically all along there, so wouldn't have been opposite side after all. And all the times we've been to the bootfair at the stadium (before I FOUND the family) we could have been walking over the front room !!  :D
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:33:43 »
Oh brill Ta !
Completely different to now, is that the old church that is now a ruin at the end of the road by the Stadium? Sorry asking all these questions, but I will try and get the book. Who knows that little girl MIGHT be a reli ?? Will try Rainham Bookshop thanks.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:32:19 »
Here is the picture from the book, Church Road is on the left and Gas is on the right behind the Church leading down to the creek. I used to find old bottles down there; D On the map there were houses on both sides of the Road in 1928 but no numbers are shown. Source the book.. George Bargebrick Esquire by Richard Hugh Parks. The story of George Smeed the Brick and Cement King, ISBN 0905 270 479  ;) Try Rainham bookshop, they are the best for local books...failing that put a month search on Ebay if you are a member as the book is dated 1981 and may not have had a reprint.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:29:38 »
Thanks for that info, now can you tell me, in the pic of Church Rd etc. are the houses on the left or right of the road ? I ask that as in 1901 Census they lived at 34 Church Rd, but emigrated to Canada in 1913, he didn't like it so they came back (hubby and wife) and in 1926 Street directory they were living in number 31 Church Rd. We have been there and spoken to an elderly man who lives there, told us new houses were built about that time, maybe they were numbered differently OR were there houses opposite that would now just be a long hedge on that side? Grandad has his name on Murston War Memorial, Mum-in-law never spoke about any of the family as she was only 3 when he died in 1917 and her Mum married again a couple of years later, how I wish she had.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 21:56:41 »
Hi Lyn L... I have the book George Bargebrick in my local collection, there is only one picture of Smeed Deans cottages in the book and that is of Church and Gas Road at Murston showing the old church also.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 21:24:29 »
And George Smeed was a smuggler !!!!
Was only reading about smugglers the other day. Went onto great and good things then, didn't he.
Thanks for the link and I saw a pic of the mansion on something else today too, now I can see where the pillars were originally. Hubby's family lived in cottages provided by GS, lastly in Church Road, Murston, 2xgt grandad and sons, gt grandad and sons all worked for him, only pic I've come across (to download ) was of Adelaide Docks. Adelaide Dock Road was another home they lived in, also Bayford Brickfield Cottages. They then had to find other employment when the brickfields went into decline and all but one of Grandad`s siblings emigrated to Canada. Grandad died in WW1 (Stoker in the RN). He worked on one of GS's boats, but don't know what the name was, it's not shown on the 1901 Census sadly. Books here I come, now you've shown me the way.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 20:14:29 »
Hi Lyn,
Only to pleased to be able to help. Here`s another link about a talk by Helen about GC and the Park.
                                                                                                                                     Rog

http://www.lynsted-society.co.uk/html/king_george_v_playing_field.html

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 15:18:47 »
Another thankyou Rog,
I did go on Sittingbourne Museum`s site last week and saw they had added some pics since last time I looked. Smashing little museum that one. But I will look for those books now and I'm glad you told me not to be confused with Gore Court cricket ground, 'cos I was !!

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 00:05:05 »
Hi Lyn,
        Yes spot on. There is a book called "George Bargebrick Esq" all about him his barges and Brickfields. Also there is  a book by our local authoress, Helen Allinson, I think called Gore Court which is about the house and grounds. You could also contact Sittingbourne Museum and put your request on there, they have all sorts of info about brickfields and other local issues. There are often postcards of the house with military tent camp in the grounds during first world war on E-Bay.

Good Luck Rog.
PS:- Dont get confused with Gore Court Cricket ground. That is at "The Grove" London Road Sitt (site of Rose House at the back). George Smeed's Gore Court House and Estate was in Tunstall, Sittingbourne.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 19:06:22 »
grandarog, is that George Smeed the Brickmaker ?
I want to find pics of the brickworks in Murston and surroundings, any idea where? can't find much. My hubby's family were employee's from the 1860s until early 1900s there. Bet the mansion was nice in it's day, good to see it hasn't all gone.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Gore Court, King Georges Playing Field, Sittingbourne
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 18:10:38 »
    When I was a kid these Pillar Bases of the old Mansion House of George Smeed were still in their original position where the swings and things are now as was the frontage base work.
   They must have been dug out and placed by the boundary fence, now overgrown and rapidly being reclaimed by nature. At least they didn`t get turned into hardcore.

<br
/>

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines