News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Post Offices  (Read 21742 times)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
Re: Post Offices
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 20:29:22 »
They used to have stamp machines outside.

ellenkate

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 15:05:14 »
A Tribute to the Postman...

THE POSTMAN:  His portrait is an every-day picture of life, and yet not easy to paint.  He is the very incarnation of alacrity, the embodied spirit of regularity and precision.  Day by day, hour by hour, he is to be seen traversing with rapid step the limits of his own narrow district.  The heavens may smile or frown;  revolutions may shake the land;  or peace and prosperity gladden its children.  Disease may wave its pestilent torch;  or sudden calamity sweep away its victims.  But the postman is still at his post.  A diurnal dispenser of news.  A kind of hope in the Queen’s livery, visiting every one in turn, and welcomed by all.  A messenger of life and of death;  of gratified ambition, or disappointed desire;  or gracious acceptance, or harsh refusal.  He is still welcome;  for his presence, and that which he brings, at least puts an end to the most cruel of human sufferings – uncertainty. - 
(Bentley’s Miscellany – printed in Dover Telegraph 9 June 1838 p.5 col.2)

ellenkate

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 15:04:02 »
An East Kent Postman  circa1905...

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 19:02:54 »
I don't think that I'm giving away any trade secrets by saying that the old Post Office counter in Rochester has been utilised for the Delivery Office so it's not empty!

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 17:29:17 »
You're welcome.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 16:07:40 »
I knew you'd have the pictures Numanfan :) well done :)

Rochester-bred

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 15:54:35 »
Numanfan, Thanks for the picture  :)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 13:51:38 »
Nothing, as far as I am aware. Been empty a good few years.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Fred the Needle

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 13:36:29 »
Excuse me for asking, but as an exile, bought up in Rochester, what's the building used for now?

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 12:05:17 »
Numanfan.... It's over to you :)

Rochester-bred

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:24 »
We had a lovely large post office in Rochester high street with two phone boxes either side but they removed the post service from here and put the post office it in the back of a little chemist called Ryders further along the high street ,I really cant understand when they remove these places from decent sized buildings into tiny corners of other shops . (I would put a picture on here but alas have failed to do so) If anyone has a picture of the old Rochester Post office please can you put it here ,thank you   :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:30 »
Warden point Post Office and Tea room near Eastchurch on the Isle of Sheppey. Sadly now gone as was pulled down due to its closeness to cliff edge and vandalism. The second picture with local postman was taken shortly before it was demolished. There are many postcards of this area of Sheppey

This picture shows where the Post office would have been in relation to the cliff edge. If you look at the tall tree off to the left with a Magpie? nest in it, the building was to the cliff side of it. You can just see a straight line of concrete at the cliff edge centre where the road goes off the edge. I found an old Thomas Grout codd bottle here many years ago poking out the cliff.

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:36 »
The old Post Office Luton road down from  Bud's to blooms flower shop, is not empty the lady that used to run it is still living their! and owns the property and has done for 40 years, I met her this morning walking her dog! funny the old Maida road Post Office, now gone, the lady that used to run that now works in pound land. I remember her serving me when i was a round 12 years old.

merc

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 12:09:51 »

LenP

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 23:34:00 »
The much missed Northgate sub PO in Canterbury.

and the counterstamp.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines