News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Smellies" shop Walderslade !  (Read 12961 times)

moonstar1

Re: "Smellies" shop Walderslade !
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 11:34:23 »
From what I remember 'Smellies', officially known as 'Alexanders', was a converted terraced house where Mr Alexander lived with his daughter. Every morning he'd hobble to his black Ford Prefect and drove to pick up Mrs Gurr from her home in Eden Avenue and take her back to assist in the shop. I was told by my father that the unpleasant odour was because 'Old Alex' had ulcerated legs and never bought anything other than packaged food. Any fresh food had to be bought at Hooks grocery shop on Wayfield. The only thing I recall buying in 'Smellies' was Turf cigarettes because they were cheap!!!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 22:20:15 »
This thread is getting a bit too personal, I understand you are sharing memories but I do feel it is time to concentrate more on the history of the building...

YoungNan

Re: "Smellies" Shop Walderslade !
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 22:16:56 »

I have seen a picture of the shop, including the milk machine, somewhere on the net but just did a search and couldn't find it :-(

Oh what a shame.. I would love to see that. Loved the flavoured milk out of that machine. :)

Mikey

Re: "Smellies" Shop Walderslade !
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 18:29:25 »
I too was a paperboy in the late 60's at 'smelly Alex's'.  If I remember rightly he lived in a house in Maidstone Road Chatham.  I remember he was very tight with his money and him keeping fresh cheese he sold in the shop in a dirty sink.

I have seen a picture of the shop, including the milk machine, somewhere on the net but just did a search and couldn't find it :-(

davidt

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 22:35:13 »
Sorry YoungNan, but there's no date with the picture. As you say, it is very old though. Hopefully someone else can find a (slightly) more recent photo.

The pond you mentioned Ajemp would be the dewpond mentioned in the book title. I think there's a picture of it and the Hook & Hatchet pub somewhere else on the forum.

YoungNan

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 22:12:48 »
Wow that is an old picture, and to be honest not as remember...where's the milk machine!! (joking)
any Idea what year this is ?  thanks

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 19:11:00 »

I,m pretty sure this photo is Smellies shop  what a great find, I recall there being  a small pond opposite the shop  where the food outlet is.........can anybody remember this pond?

davidt

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 18:58:29 »
You've solved a childhood mystery for me YoungNan. I remember the shop still being called Smellies in the 1970s and 80s. I never knew why - until now!

There is a photo in the Dew Ponds and Doodlebugs book which Walderslade library published a few years ago. It isn't a great picture, but I think it might be the original shop. I've scanned it in and done my best to make it clearer.

YoungNan

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:33 »
 A picture of the original smellies would be fantastic

and yes there is a mini mart on that site now, where still the school kids go!

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 17:43:34 »
There is still a shop next door to the Poacher's Pocket. Obviously not the same one as Smiffy has said it was torn down. But the shop next door is still known as Smellie's, for as long as I can remember.
 Anyone got a picture of the original Smellie's?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 16:25:17 »

Used to go there to buy sweets. When I was little I remember dropping a threepenny bit on the floor and watching in horror as it rolled along and fell down a crack in the floorboards! The shop's gone now of course, but I wonder if anybody ever found it when the place was being torn down. If they did and it was you - it's mine and I want it back!

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 13:42:52 »
Thank you Ajemp I would not have remembered the name if asked but seeing it here bought it back.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:46:13 »

Yes Smiler it was the late 50s  i worked for" smelly Alec " as he was known     ( paper boy   I was  about forteen,) NOW  68.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:06:47 »
I'm sure that was the name I knew that shop as back in the early 50s anyone confirm if it was  Alexanders then.

YoungNan

"Smellies" shop Walderslade !
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 22:01:33 »
Who remembers the little sweet/grocery shop along Walderslade Road, right near The Poachers Pocket (then The Hook & Hatchet).
Its was a favourite with all the school children (I was at Walderslade girls school 1966-1971)  BUT it gained the name "Smellies" because it did smell!!??!!  It still never put us off going in there for our sweets though!   The propriator was Mr Alexander if I remember correctly.
 There used to be a Milk machine outside, and I know some "kids" used to buy single cigerettes (not me of course!!)  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines