News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bomb damage Rochester  (Read 15981 times)

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 4
Re: Bomb damage Rochester
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 20:55:50 »
Not definite but the window arrangement on the side wall looks similar, might have to take a look from behind the shops and see if I can recreate the wartime photo for comparison?

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 20:22:36 »
Apparently not, Medway cityark has references to repairs to war damaged housing in numerous locations and given that the damage seems to be mostly cosmetic (affecting the roof tiles, doors and windows) it was probably more cost effective and faster to repair rather than demolish and rebuild.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 20:02:34 »
Would the bugalows have been demolished?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 18:11:18 »
Pretty much, in fact http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=binland+grove&sll=51.394493,0.534425&sspn=0.021047,0.055575&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Binland+Grove,+Chatham+ME5,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.350942,0.509612&panoid=78ZaCzEE40C0Y15IoXGo6w&cbp=12,311.68,,0,1.43&ll=51.350745,0.509593&spn=0.001343,0.003449&z=18 shows the three semi-detached bungalows and then 2 semi-detached houses and a terrace as you look south.

The photo shows the backs of the bungalows and must have been taken from the service road behind the Shirley Avenue shops.

Things you never knew when you were growing up...

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 16:51:40 »
Here are two pics of damage caused when Shorts Brothers seaplane factory was attacked.

Davis Estate, situated opposite Shorts factories the estate was thought to be part of the factory site.

Hi, I've just joined this site and recognise the photo above as Binland Grove on the Davis Estate.
I was born in 1966 and lived in Hook Close until 1989 but I never realised that parts of the estate were old enough to have been damaged in the war. It looks like parts of Highview Drive, Shirley Avenue, Binland Grove, Greenway, West Drive, Vale Drive and Watson Avenue were built in the 1930s.

Cheers,

Alun.

Jayzi.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 19:24:20 »
Hi all.

Have mentioned the cwgc civilian dead (Gillingham) list on another post, here's a list for Rochester. Gives addreses for houses bombed where persons killed/adresses where a worker was killed whilst elsewhere.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=4004200&mode=1

Jayzi.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 20:47:17 »
Re Wickham Street Parachute Mine Raid 8th April 1941.

3 members of the AFS were killed when their sub-station on the Esplanade took a direct hit. Mrs Batchelor who lived at Willis Avenue was also killed. Firemen Chater and Gibbons from Rochester died instantly while Fireman Ryder from Chatham AFS died the following day in St Barts Hospital from his injuries. The blast blew their trailer pump and its towing vehicle into the river. One fireman "Jinx" Durling had a "lucky" escape from the blast though. He was on look out duty standing behind a large tree, and as the blast was so violent, as it went past him, it span him round
 on the spot and wore through the soles of his boots and scored his feet. He also had his eardrums perforated and was invalided out of the Service.
There were 8 killed in Wickham Street. The repair to the retaining wall where the mine hit can still be clearly seen. It is almost opposite the alleyway that leads to Wickham Street between the Bungalows from St. Wlliams Way.

rossco

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 18:48:09 »
 ;)

merc

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 22:15:37 »
Interesting Olive :)
My grandparents lived in the Sevenoaks and Otford area during the war and one of my granddads was in the navy.

I know Grafton Avenue,Rochester was hit by a flying bomb in November 1944.
Also Wickham Street,Delce :o in April 1941.

Much damage was done around the towns,but only a few hit Chatham Dockyard as the theory is either the local AA guns did a great job in protecting the yard or the Germans planned on using it if they ever managed to capture us.

Olive

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 20:47:46 »
I find this area so fascinating  ::) after a visit out this weekend I spoke to my parents about their parents wartime experiences!  My parents were born in the mid second war period, my grandparents -sadly departed were living in the Medway area during this time....they were born during the first world war and for what ever reason were too old to fight during the 2nd, my Dads dad would have only been 36 or there abouts but wasn't requierd to fight!
My dads Mum lived in Gillingham and spoke openly of having to dash for shelter....she would normally seek such at the Upper or Lower Liberal Club? I don't know where these would have been? She lived in Wellington Road,off of Canterbury Street at the time and one such bombing occasion she was unable to make her preferred shelter....which I believe was the upper liberal (this would have been around 1940) this particular shelter was subject of a directish hit.....  I also understand she used to shelter at a sight in Rock Avenue?
My Mums parents were Rochester born and made their own Andersen shelter...My Grandparents didn't used the public shelter and at the sound of the air raid siren used to have to make a dash for it up the delce having to take shelter against the great walls when the guns at fort borstal opened as the shrapnel apparently used to rain down on to the road.  
It would be very interesting to see where in the local area was hit

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Bomb damage Rochester
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:06:10 »
Here are two pics of damage caused when Shorts Brothers seaplane factory was attacked.

Davis Estate, situated opposite Shorts factories the estate was thought to be part of the factory site.

15th August 1940, 6 Stirlings were destroyed with major damage to the hanger. 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines