News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Queenborough Castle  (Read 21360 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: Queenborough Castle
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 21:44:35 »
Wessex Archaeology.

Queenborough Castle, Isle of Sheppey, Kent
Archaeological Evaluation and Assessment of Results. January 2006.

37 page report, 1.4 MB.
Available online @ http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/files/59470_Queenborough%20Sheppey.pdf
Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 22:49:47 »
Link to Time Team at Queenborough

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/timeteam/2006_queen.html

bob

Time Team S13-E08. Castle in the Round. Queenborough. Kent.
Not available on 4OD, but youtube rides to the rescue :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KUzP5w-crg

lesanne

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 21:35:56 »

lesanne

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 15:15:50 »
 :) Well, most of my research, of late, is from the National Archives summaries. If something looks like it needs looking at, I either order it up, or go to Kew.
There are yards and yards of references to Sir John... Norreys/Norrys/Norris... take ya pick.

1588 is Armada. +/- a few years, I have found ref to a crossing that would allow the other 'land forces' to reinforce from Essex if needed. They were commanded by.. oh I need to look that up for you.. but John and him didn't get on much!!

John was the 2nd son (bc1547 Rycote Ox) of Henry Baron Rycote, 1st Lord Norreys (bc1525 Yattendon).
Sir John dies/was killed/murdered... 3 July 1597 Mallow Munster Ireland.

John's brother William c1545-1579 married Elizabeth Morrison in 1578 Cassiobury Herts. Her sister is Jane Sybilla Morrison born in Augsburg.. this took me over to Holland and more connections, as well as the initial landing of Dutch ships in English waters... funny it should be the area where the family are "working"..
Jane Sybilla  married Edward Lord Russell.. he is buried (b4 1572) at Chenies near Chesham... that's the Cheyney family. and so the story continues..
In between those people are the documents 'to and fro' of various troop movements ~ family betrothals or chatter from one sibling to another.

After a time, I got the drift  of the family and friends, at work, rest and play!! :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 21:30:17 »
Sir John Norreys (In charge of land army for Spanish Armada) was in North Kent. (Wasn't a bridge to Essex built) ?

Where would such an endevor have been? I am interested. Another thread possible? Tell us more please Lesanne.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

lesanne

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 20:21:59 »
Thank you so much for posting this list of 'keepers' of that Castle.

I have been working on the same for ages as nearly all of these people have a connection, in some way or other, with The Norreys family..

Sir John Norreys (In charge of land army for Spanish Armada) was in North Kent. (Wasn't a bridge to Essex built) ?
Next step is to see if Samuel Haward is the one who marries Sarah Rose (mother of Francis Norreys c1609)

Who/where did William Haward (father of Samuel ..obit 1633 Faversham) belong, before Harty (Isle of Sheppey). ..They just seem to appear there.. :)

http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53805&strquery=Grench++Haward

Kind regards, Lesanne

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 12:11:30 »
Thanks Kyn and grandarog, I WAS wondering what would happen if I moved my list to another part of my hard drive .
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 14:30:12 »
Here it is CDP .Save folks having to download. :)

The following is a correct list of the Constables of Queenborough  Castle,with the years in each reign that they held this post; they were principally men of rank and station.

ANNO.   REIGN.   NAME.

36TH   Edward 111   John Foxley, the first in command
50TH          “   John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster
8TH   Richard  11   Robert de Vere, Earl of Oxford
16th          “    Sir Arnold Savage
20th          “   William le Scroope
1st   Henry 11   William de Watterton
4th          “   John Cornwall ,Baron of Franhope
10th          “   Thomas Arundel , Archbishop of Canterbury
1st   Henry V   Gilbert de Umfreville
28th   Henry V1    Humphry Stafford ,Duke of Buckingham
1st   Edward 11   John Norwood , esq
          “   George , Duke of Clarence
1st   Richard 111   Thomas Wentworth
2nd          “   Christopher Coligns
1st   Henry V11   William  Cheyney
          “   Sir Anthony Browne
2nd   Henry V111   Francis Cheyney
3rd           “   Sir Thomas Cheyney K.G.
1st   Elizabeth    Sir Richard Constable
            “        Sir Edward Hoby
1st   James   Philip , Earl of Pembroke and Montgemery
The last Constable

From “Rambles in the Island of Sheppy “  by Henry T. A.  Turmine
dated 1843

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 12:57:37 »
Your document did upload.  They do not show in preview but just below your post you can see it is there and can download it to read :)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 12:24:07 »
I appear to be having trouble uploading my " Queenborough Castle Constables  from the first to the last " can you delete my efforts and put me on te right track please .Photobucket only uploads photos ? .I have uploaded tables in the past ??

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 12:12:26 »
Queenborough Castle Constables

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 01:24:39 »
That was an interesting find about the well, Herb Collector. I liked the "near Queenborough", I suppose the church, or perhaps Mill House, was the limit.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 23:22:05 »
Queenborough Castle well.
Old spelling.

'A letter from the Kings Officers at Sheerness and Chatham, to the Honourable the Commijfioners of the Navy, giving an Account of what they met with in opening an antient Well near Queenborough in Kent, communicated by Mr. Peter Collison. F.R.S. on January 8, 1729.
Right Honourable,
                 In obedience to your Honours Warrant of the 16th of September last, we met at the Well near Queenborough, where the castle formerly slood on Tuesday the 24th ditto and finding but very little water at the bottom on our sounding, and it having a new curb, lately fix'd on the top, we provided our selves with buckets and ropes, and lower'd down a man, who acquainted us, that it was cleaned, and the ground sunk four feet deeper than the curb at the bottom. We then measur'd the dept of it, and found it 200 foot, and artificially steen'd the whole depth with circular Portland stone, which is all entire, and stands fair, the mean diameter is four foot eight inches; but observing, that not one drop of water came into it, we resolved to try whether we could find any by boring it through, in order thereunto, we applied ourselves to make the neceslary preparations, by getting a piece of timber of about seven foot long, and boring it through with a three inch and a half auger, which truck we fix'd at the bottom of the well, and fasten'd it by quarters to the curb at the bottom, to prevent its railing, and fili'd it all round three foot deep with clay, and on that laid four course of bricks for a platform for the men to hand on in their boring, and got alfo an auger of two inches and half, to bore through the clay, but could not get all the necelsary appurtenances till thursday the 26th of September when three men at a time began to bore, whom we shifted every three hours; the boring which they sent us up, was very close bluisti clay, which continuing the same after three days and a half boring, we began to despair meeting with water; but on Monday the 30th of September in the evening, as they were boring, the auger ilipt down at once, and up came water, to our great satisfadion, and in an hour's time there was upward of four foot water which rose so fast, that at twelve o'clock at noon,
                                                      Feet       Inches
On the first of October we found-            55.        10.
On the 2d, at 5 in the afternoon,-           109.        08.
On the 3d, at 3 in the afternoon,-           132.        06.
On the 4th, at 3 in the afternoon,-          149.        06.
On the 5th, at 4 in the afternoon,-          161.        03.
On the 6th, at 10 in the morning,-          167.        08.
On the 7th, at 4 in the afternoon,-          174.        00.
On the 8th, at 7 in the morning,-            176.        07.
and still increases, though slowly. the reason of its not rising so much now as at first, we apprehended proceeded from the weight of water which the spring through the hole of the truck must force up, and the well being wider aloft than below. What we think very extraordinary is, that we bored 81 feet below the foot of the truck before we met with this body of water, which by computation is 166 feet below the deepest place in the adjacent seas. The water proves excellent good, sofr, sweet and fine we compar'd it with the best spring water brought from Milton, and in every body's opinion that tasted both, they declar'd the well-water the best. We  put some soap to it, and it larther'd finely; we boiled old pease in it, which performed very well, and we have great reason to believe, that the spring will sufficiently supply his Majesty's ships, as proposed.
Signed by
Richard Frost, James Young, Edmond Oxley, Benj. Rofrwell, Richard Stacey, J. Hayward, John Ward, D. Devert, William Jones,
King's Officers at Sheerness and Chatham.'

From the proceedings of the Royal Society of London.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 22:10:47 »
A list of the coats of arms of the gentry of Kent as once displayed at Queenborough Castle.
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/Vol.058 - 1945/03/14.htm
But sadly no pictures.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 00:02:48 »
Here are some headings re Queenborough Castle .The items are from the Sheerness newspapers  of years ago a copy of which is in the Sheerness Library ,
Note there existed The Sheerness Times and The Sheerness Guardian and the items below items  may be in either copy!!

Queenborough Castle

Re oldest drawing of 1484                                                        1875 Jan 30th

Castle and 24 houses built together                                           1875 June 12th

Description from old painting 4 ½ ft. by 2 ½ ft (Brit. Museum)   1876 Nov 30th

Copy of agreement to sell castle                                                1876 Dec 9th

Chimney pot of the Castle found in the creek                             1877 June 23rd

Building of Church Castle   V.G.                                               1907 April 27th /May 11th

Castle from 1828 book built on site of Saxon Castle                  1909 June 26th

Stone used cell?                                                                        1912 Jan 20th

Size of Castle –new data                                                           1912 Mar 9th

Castle                                                                                       1912 May 19th/26?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines