News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheelwrights Shop, Chatham Dockyard  (Read 4700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Appreciation 240
Re: Wheelwrights Shop, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 22:46:39 »
Wessex Archaeology 11/12/2014.

"As part of our ongoing work with the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust we were once again invited back to the dockyard and this time the weather favoured us! Our target of investigation on this occasion was a pickling pond which is believed to exist beneath the Wheelwrights House. Does it still remain in situ and if so how is it built and what condition is it in?"

More @ http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/news/2014/11/12/back-dockyard?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fedd%3A+Wessexarchaeology+%28Wessex+Archaeology%29

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7431
  • Appreciation 408
    • Sheppey History
Wheelwrights Shop, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:05:35 »
The Wheelwrights shop consisted of three parts that were built to house areas for building items used for fitting out ships, the eastern bay was originally used by the Wheelwrights to repair and build the wheels for the dockyard's carts and to build the steering-wheels for the ships.  The Pumpmakers and Coak and Treenail makers used the central bay.  Coaks were metal bearings used for the pins of pulley blocks.  Treenails are pins made of oak, they were used to fasten planking to the frames of the ships.  The pumps were of a simple design being made from wood with iron and leather fittings.  The Capstan Makers used the western bay, ships needed at least two capstans onboard to raise and lower the anchor and for moving heavy objects like guns or upper masts, there were also many capstans around the dockyard for various uses.  

The building itself was built around 1780 using reclaimed timbers from warships that had been broken up at Chatham.  During repair work to the building a large amount of timber was found underneath the flooring, the timber was from the hull of a warship that had been broken up at the yard, it is believed the ship was originally built at Chatham Dockyard as a second rate ship of the line during or after the seven years war.  Unfortunately it has not been possible to identify the ship but the find is viewed as the single most important warship discovery since the Mary Rose was found.

The timber from under the flooring can still be seen in-place and a fully licensed restaurant can also be found in this Scheduled building.







Capstan

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines