News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: South Dock Pumping Station, Chatham Dockyard  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
Re: South Dock Pumping Station, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 18:59:59 »
As promised, here is a map of the culverts in the South Dock Complex.

Please note - Penstock A is obsolete and was replaced by a sluice gate and winding gear at the head of No 2 Dock (that wheel behind the fence in front of HMS Cavaliers bow).

Also, there are levelling culverts in each caisson. These are butterfly valves operated from aboard the caissons and were used for last-minute levelling of the water in the dock with the river before the ballast tanks inside the caissons were blown and the caisson lifted out.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:43:27 »
Sentinel, I wouldn't be surprised if it was. A lot of the 'big' electricals in the Yard ran on DC, including the cranes and the gantries in the building slips. There are a lot of big DC cables still in the cable and steam ducts around the Historic Dockyard.

Re Kyn's first post in this thread, there were actually 4 docks in the South Dock Complex. No 1 dock was filled in in order to create the space for the Armour Plate Shop. I don't know whether No 1 dock was also served by this pump house or not, but it would have been there when it was built.

I can lay my hands on a diagram of the penstocks for the South Dock complex and will put it on here as soon as I can.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 21:13:19 »
That looks a lot like a Bellis and Morcome DC generator. I cut my teeth on these at St Augustine's Hospital, Chartham. A wonderful generator set. Inlet and throttle valve on the left, exhaust to the right probably leading to a condenser. It looks like you could just bar her round to starting position, open the throttle and she would run as sweet as a nut.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 20:57:48 »

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 21:13:58 »
Managed to get some pics of the machinery inside the pumphouse.

Here's what looks like a 2 cylinder upright compound steam engine steam engine connected to a generator or dynamo.

Here's a very large electric motor connected to a pump in a well. The way I think this works is that the docks all drain into a common well, which this pump then pumps into a culvert draining into the river. The ammeter on the control panel goes up to 300A.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 23:13:14 »
Not sure what condition the pumps are in. I know that the pumping station was used for the final stage of emptying No4 Dock (where Gannet is). The sluicegates to the culverts for No2 dock (where Cavalier is) are totally derelict, we didn't dare use them when draining No2 Dock back in March - we had to hire in pumps to both drain the dock and fill it up again.

On that note, I can say that as of today, Cavalier is now afloat again for the first time since March.

merc

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 17:27:16 »
A room above the pump house was used as a temporary isolation hospital in 1832, during a cholera outbreak. A room which had formely been used as an iron store was considered ideal at the time, because the room was kept dry by the heat of the boiler, but such hospitals were useless.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
South Dock Pumping Station, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:10:25 »
In 1820 John Rennie designed and built Chatham?s very first stone dry dock, along with this he designed and built the south dock pumping station, this was built in 1822 and originally housed a beam engine but this was replaced in 1929 by an electric pump.  The pumping station was the first steam powered pumping station to be built in Britain and was used to pump water from the three dry docks nearby and back into the River Medway by underground culverts.  The building houses a central boiler house with an enclosed chimney and two engine houses on either side, the engine houses were for Boulton and Watt beam engines.  The pumping station is still used today to empty the dry docks so unfortunately is not open to the public, the building is an Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade II listed.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines