News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hoo Fort  (Read 23262 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Hoo Fort
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 11:59:05 »
I will double check plans I have tomorrow evening, I am sure I have one that names a battery on this site from the 1600s.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:23 »
The location and fate are similar to Swaleness (opposite Queenborough and Westminster) - doomed to becoming waterlogged and eroded. Swaleness was abandoned immediately once the outer bank had been constructed and less than 1% seems to remain today. This abandoned structure at Hoo could also have been given up in favour of the site of the existing fort further back.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 06:56:01 »
Alternatively, given the unstable nature of the ground here could it be an abandoned 'first attempt'? :)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 23:02:54 »
Could it have been a dummy fort? Planned to confuse the attackers navigating up the Medway as to their exact location, or to give the impression of stronger defences?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 20:44:01 »
I can only assume that this was built in response to the 17th century Dutch raid. Perhaps it was hastily constructed (the remains don't look very substantial) and suffered as a result.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 16:09:45 »
I don't think I have found anything conclusive but there does seem to have been a battery there.  It is often marked on plans as a folly.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 15:34:55 »
Was there in the past another fort on the Hoo salt marsh? I ask because to the north of the existing fort there is the outline of another circular structure. Its partial remains are still visible on Bing and Google satellite views, and on an 18th century map there is the notation "a fort in ruins".

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 23:13:08 »
Is the history of Hoo Fort during WW2 available anywhere?  Observation tower, pill-boxes, A-A guns, anything like that.  And what unit may have been stationed there?

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 10:23:04 »
Heres a link to a short film (by Dave Wise) of my recent adventure with friends, it shows both forts and the WW1 German sub on Stoke Marshes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk1rkjdffcs

Nostalgia's not what it used to be

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:13 »
A couple more

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 11:02:16 »
Lighting passage, ammon life and evidence of explosives experiments...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 22:24:50 »
Friday 15th February 1907 – The Cole Herald

Thames Fort Robbed

Gang of raiders punished.

A gang of nine men were tried at Rochester Quarter Sessions on 16th December (says “Lloyd’s Weekly”) either as thieves or receivers of stolen property for being concerned in an audacious raid on Hoo Fort, on the River Medway.  The fort, although of modern construction, is one of those which, from a military point of view, the Army Council has abandoned in its revised scheme for the defence of London.

Although it is surrounded by water, it was recently visited by marauders, who seized a boat in order to reach the stronghold, which they proceeded to dismantle with ruthless hands.  Large quantities of cannon mountings and other brass, copper, and iron fittings and lead sheathings were removed in a boat to the banks of the river, whence the booty was taken away in a cart and eventually converted into money.  Similar raids were made on other occasions.

Two of the men, brothers named Butler, were sentenced to 12 months’ hard labour; four others, named Barker, Box, Moss, and Stevens, to six months’ hard labour; two more, named Goble and Ongley, to three months’ hard labour, and the ninth prisoner, Albert Dollas, who is only 17 years old, to 18 months’ imprisonment under the Borstal system.

The police stated that since the arrest of this gang there had been a marvellous diminution of robberies in Rochester and Chatham.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Re: Hoo Fort photos part 2
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 14:06:09 »
Some more photos (although this might be out of sync with my previous post? :-/

2nd to last photo is of a large oblong hole in the roof, I think this may be evidence of the explosives testing which was done during the 1920's?

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 14:03:08 »
I made a 'site visit' of Hoo Fort over the weekend as part of an exploration of the Medway Estuary, here are some photos...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 16:03:15 »
Your welcome :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines