News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reservoirs in Chatham Lines Ditches  (Read 14306 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Reservoirs in Chatham Lines Ditches
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 16:58:12 »
These are the naval reservoirs on the Lines. One section was known as the Couvre Port reservoir and was split into two sections. The other section was contained in the ditch that ran up the face of the Spur Battery and was hence known as the Spur Battery reservoir. Many hours spent dodging the Admiralty Police during the summer holidays as a kid when we used to go fishing in the reservoir for some quite large perch.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 14:26:06 »
Take a look at kyn's post #21 - the map shows you where they were exploring.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 13:28:53 »
smiffy. Watched that video-as you say, interesting. But I couldn't relate it to Chatham lines, altogether much to big I thought? I must have missed him saying exactly where it was( pity he didn't show a map) for he did say what- but not where- the RAF Radar station was called on another video.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 20:49:55 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QExRDaw1LI

Lots of other interesting stuff on this Youtube channel.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 235
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 09:44:16 »
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the reservoir at Fort Amherst was used to supply Chatham Dockyard with non-potable water. Potable water came from the well at Luton. You can tell the difference as you walk around the Chatham Historic Dockyard. Some stopcock covers in the ground are marked 'Luton Water' - these are for potable water, while others are marked 'Dockyard Water' and these were for non-potable water.

I can't give an exact date for when the reservoirs were drained, but I would imagine it would be in the late 1980's. I remember exploring Fort Amherst as a teenager in the very early 1980's (I remember that at the time, the Dockyard was still open) and the reservoir was full then. When I explored it again, it was after closure, I was in my early 20's but it was before I got married in 1989 and it was drained by then. That narrows it down to some time between 1986 and 1989.

The live fire hydrants in the Dockyard are now fed from the potable water supply and I think that the former 'Dockyard Water' stopcocks are now dead.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 00:54:22 »
Can anyone remember when the reservoirs were drained? I remember them still having water in them in the early 80s, but Google Earth shows them drained by 1990, so I'm guessing the mid to late 80s. Can anyone narrow the date down any more?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 02:07:48 »
The diagonal path across the inner lines is also still intact, so the terracing had not occurred there by 1901. The military burial ground is also still shown.
=========

merc

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 00:06:00 »
It looks likes the left, front ditch (below/left of where it says Large Small) of the Hornwork was intact, at that time. So it must have been filled in later.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 23:04:01 »
It also shows the observatory on King's Bastion, and suggests it may have had multiple observation domes.
=========

merc

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 22:59:45 »
Nice plan :)

It shows the old bridge across the Spur Battery Reservoir, next to where the Tennis Clubhouse was built in 1903.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 22:35:01 »
Here is a plan dated 1901 which shows the reservoirs in use.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 18:56:07 »
That's interesting information Charles, thank you. And date wise it might tie in with another feature in the area. It seems sometime between 1897 and 1903 the original footbridge from Prince of Wales Bastion to the Lines was removed and a new pair of footbridges were put in crossing close to the ends of the reservoir. I wonder if the bridge being removed/replaced was associated with the building of the reservoirs somehow?

I also wonder if the 1843 date I found was when the Army started using the ditches for water storage perhaps?
=========

Offline Charles

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 18:45:15 »
The couvre porte reservoir was built soon after 1898 when the Navy acquired the land from the Army. It would appear that the army was already using some of the ditches to hold water and of course the two services could not be allowed to use the same water! The reservoirs appear to have been a grey water supply for use in cleaning barracks, fire fighting etc but not drinking. The context for the construction would appear to be the very large naval barracks built at this date i.e.HMS Pembroke now the Universities at Medway.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 18:25:46 »
Great info Kyn, thanks.

It would suggest that the reservoirs didn't go in until after 1878, although that now makes a third possible date for my list!

I know the Government Reservoir on Brompton Hill went in in 1832, but the Couvre Porte Reservoirs are proving much harder to track down. Your info would suggest the possible date I had of c.1843 (which I was a little dubious of) is out, but the other date I found of after 1889 seems rather late if they sourced the water supply in 1878. Unless of course the initially used the water supply direct, but later decided to use it to supply a reservoir.

Just to throw a further spanner in the works bromptonboy mentioned having seen a document from the 1850s or 60s mentioning a spur from the Admiralty reservoir supplying the barracks. Could it be that the 'Admiralty Reservoir' in his document is referring to the one at the top of Brompton Hill?
=========

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 13:57:12 »
This information has been requested, which is why I have posted newspaper reports from The Times instead of re-writing them.

21st November 1870
For some time past the War department have had men engaged in boring in a field adjacent to the Gun Wharf at Chatham, with the view of ascertaining if a supply of good water could be obtained there for the use of the various Government establishments.  As yet water has not been reached, but the boring has proved that there would be a good foundation for buildings and machinery at the spot, and it is expected that water will be obtained of good quality, though the site is not far from the river, which is quite salt at Chatham.  Should good water be got it will be pumped up to a reservoir, to be made on the neighbouring lofty hill, and thense distributed to the barracks, Gun Wharf, Fort Pitt, &c.  Government has waterworks in the Dockyard, and a reservoir on Brompton Hill, but the supply has been found insufficient for all the Government establishments at Chatham, and for some time past a large supply has been taken from the Chatham Water Company at a considerable yearly cost.

21st August 1871
Every Summer the Sanitary Committee of Officers are active in looking after the proper cleansing and purification of the military barracks at Chatham; but this season, from the apprehensions of a visit of cholera, they are, if possible, more vigilant and active than usual.  All the refuse is promptly removed, the drains are flushed almost daily, and there is an unstinted use of chloride of lime wherever it is deemed necessary.  The barracks un Chatham have had a full supply of pure water from the Chatham Water Company, the Government having just entered into a contract for a supply of water by the company for ten years to every public establishment where it is required, and already large quantities are consumed in the barracks and at the St. Mary’s Convict Prison, and probably the Dockyard will receive a supply for domestic purposes, the Government water supply not having proved adequate at Chatham.

19 August 1878
For many months past boring operations have been going on at the extension works at Chatham Dockyard, to see if fresh water could be obtained for use in the yard, instead of being supplied bu the Chatham Water Company, as at present, and on Thursday afternoon the efforts of the party were crowned with success, a beautiful stream of water being discovered at a depth of over 903ft., upon a bed of green sand, and just below 18ft. of rock, which had to be cut through.  When the water can be utilized a great saving of money will be effected.  The operations have been carried on under the direction of Mr. E. A. Bernays, the superintending civil engineer.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines