News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cobham A.A. Site  (Read 6851 times)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Re: Cobham A.A. Site
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 19:23:29 »
Is this part of where the air raid shelters are about 100 or so yards from The Inn on the Lake hotel?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 00:18:27 »
A couple of shots from a visit this evening.

merc

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:55 »
The Times - Saturday, Aug 18, 1962.

Sir Keith Joseph, Minister of Housing and Local Government, has granted planning permission for the use for two years of a 6 and a quarter acre wartime gun site at Lodge Lane, Cobham, Kent, as a gypsy encampment. It is for not more than 50 caravans, and is intended primarily for use by gypsies who were evicted in January from their former site in Darenth Woods.

merc

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 21:32:36 »
Hidden in the undergrowth, next to Lodge Lane, are these ruins. I think they might be the remains of the guardhouse.

http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1020307

woger1

Cobham A.A. Site
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 20:59:37 »
 :)Hi new here, so do bear with me. I visited Cobham S15 last week and bumped into the guy who leases the land, which is now used as a stables. Told me that English Heritage have bought the site and they consider it one of the best preserved. Perhaps a future visitor site? Does anybody know its history? I took a few photos and would include them but can't seem to do so.

merc

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 21:29:42 »
I decided to go and have a look at the site today. By the time my train got to Cobham it was pouring hard and remained that way for the rest of the trip. However, i ventured on and found the AA Battery pretty easy. The site is now used as stables.

Here's a few pics:

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Cobham A.A. Site
« on: May 28, 2008, 14:57:29 »
Anyone know where this was or if anything remains?

Medway Military Research Group report this site to consist of gunpositions with holdfasts for 3.7 " and 4.5" guns, command post, position for the predictor, height finder and identification telescope.  the gerator or control positions still remained and earthen embankments concealing the guns.  The magazines still had original writing on the walls.  They report the site to be in a field close to the A2.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines