News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shurland Hall, Eastchurch  (Read 28830 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Shurland Hall, Eastchurch
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 22:31:06 »
I took a ride up to Shurland hall recently to take a few pictures before the new owners moved in, which they now have I understand. Here it is looking fantastic on one of the few sunny days this year.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 17:55:51 »
The History of Shurland Hall.

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Love

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 23:35:38 »
This is my first time on this site and my goodness me., talk about finding out about your roots! Charles love is my grandad! I am a very proud granddaughter! I didn't get to know my grandad very well since my mother moved to cornwall when i was 4 and since finding this website I have learnt my about my grandad and my great grandad! Thank you. Any more information on my grandad I would be very grateful as my mother passed away years ago. I often think about him as I remember with fondness my visits to kingsborough farm as as child. I would like to visit  sheppey again one day soon.

Thank you

Claire x

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 14:44:23 »
A fascinating series of posts,I didn't know people were finally restoring the place all I ever remember was an old ruin glimpsed through the trees whilst on the way to Leysdown on the open top bus.I have 4 pictures of the old hall from my Dads archive

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 18:58:48 »
Wow! that's some magnification Paul!
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 14:23:52 »
Red Sands from Shurland roof.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 18:21:31 »
Great pics. Paul. It's interesting seeing the new brickwork against the old, and also how it has been married up in the repair.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 13:20:04 »
Pics from my visit on 15-10-11.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Pathe-Tique

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 07:45:03 »
A lifelong dream came true yesterday when I visited the renovated hall.

There seems to be so much to do with the hall that remains unanswered, so I'll post here and see if anyone has any info..

* When was the south wing demolished? It never appears in photos, apart from a Victorian glasshouse in a few photos shot from the rear, so my guess would be prior to 1839ish.

* Are any plans/drawings etc extant of the medieval castle which stood here? It was interesting to see how much of the Tudor hall is made out of masonry robbed out of the demolished castle. I have a few pics which I'll post later.

* Are there any plans to excavate the remainder of the site? There is obviously a vast wealth of archeology waiting to be discovered.

* Is the Great Hall (the only remaining medieval structure) to be renovated/restored?

I'll stop there (for now!)

Many thanks in advance...

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 18:07:26 »
We managed to get to Shurland Hall in the end.  Here is a picture of the front as it stands today...

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 16:17:45 »

From The Sheppey Church Magazine 1884

The Kings of France and England would meet for the purpose of completing a treaty .............

Considering the size of the household we are not surprised to learn from the book of King Henry's Privvy Purse expenses that when he left Shurland the sum of 6-13s-4d was bestowed upon the servants of Sir Thomas Cheney as a gratuity. This sum was equvalent to 70 or 80 of our money ( in1884)
On the 9th of October ,probably, the long and glittering cavalcade of the Royal Party was seen wending its throughout the length of Sheppey from Shurland to Kings Ferry whence the king passed to Sittingbourne.He stayed one night at Canterbury ,and then , proceeding to Dover ,crossed over to Calais for his second meeting with the French King Francis the First

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 20:17:50 »
I wonder what happened to the deeds of Shurland Hall ??
Some years ago I  asked Charles  if he had them and his repy was
"The legal ownership is now  registered with the Government  Land Authority and as such the deeds are not required to be handed over or passed on , so I (Charles ) have got them and intend to keep them as - Latin Parchment  deeds are  money "
He said that he would show them to me later but we both forgot about it

Ruth

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 20:54:46 »
Hi , I hope this helps you. My family "The Cheney's owned it,in 1445-1485  Baron De Shurland was awarded it, eventually passing the ownership to The Cheney's . I went to Shuralnd Hall two years ago, they were restoring it, I am about to leave for U.K.again and hope to see it finished, all though its very hard to find. Its just behind the school in a small street, with a little lane way,you could blink and miss it. As I live in Australia, its a long way to go, and not find it. I would love to know where my relatives are buried, as they don't seem to be in the churchyard.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 17:32:54 »
My very good friend Charles Love   ,owned Kingsborough Farm , and before that ,he owned  and farmed Shurland Hall as did his father before him .I was always teasing him about the escape tunnel from Minster Abbey Church to his land on Shurland Hall, I as a Romantic and Charles as a Down to earth farmer agreed to disagree .BUT he did tell me that when he was a lad , his father was the first farmer on Sheppey to have and use one of those very heavy steam tractors to cultivate the land in front of Shurland Hall.
On the first day the tractor being very heavy,  after the weight of his horses , sunk into the ground and low and behold  there was a tunnel !!!
I said to Charles did you explore it and he replied that it was about 3 /4 feet circular and after a few feet at each end  it was blocked by fallen earth so it was then  filled up .They all said it was not an escape tunnel but an ice store .
But me being an old Romantic ............

Rotaman

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 08:51:32 »
Hi All
Thanks again Sheppey_bottles, those photos are great, that church window is beautiful, my Mother had told me that there was a plaque on the Church wall.
Here are a three photos that I've taken, two of original photos my Mother has, and one of a drawing my Mother has.
Hope these come out ok.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines