News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upchurch A.A. Battery  (Read 13195 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Upchurch A.A. Battery
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:01 »
Re the searchlight or radar site - I'm hesitant to contradict a local resident, but would be very surprised if it was a searchlight.

Guns and searchlights were separate units with separate control systems. However, unlike guns which were grouped into batteries, searchlights were spread singly over an area, so there could have been one there by co-incidence. I think the deciding factor would be if that base was the only one on the site that could accomodate radar. A radar set would have a fixed base, I believe surrounded by a wire mesh 'mat' to reduce interference, whereas searchlights were more portable with less need for a fixed emplacement.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:07:14 »
Due to recent deforestation and earthwork leveling etc a lot of the Gunsite has now been exposed for the first time since WW2.
  I have taken these photos this morning and have put a google earth pic from before the area was cleared  to give a rough idea of the locations of the gun emplacements etc .
Please note it is not accurate just a rough estimate.
This is the Nissan huts.

I think this was a generator or some sort of engine house by the look of mounting bolts.

This and the next pic are identical sheds ,possible Ammo stores.The big shed may be more recent.

There is a Brick building with reinforced concrete slab roof buried beneath the poles .Probable control room .

These are the 2 big hexagonal gun emplacements of reinforced concrete.You can see where they were earted up when they were built.Not seen light of day since.

This is the  Radar Plinth  to West of Emplacements not on Poultry farm land. (Local resident said it was a search light base.)

This bungalow just up the road was comandeered for use as Head Quarters and Officers Mess. (It is inhabited so sneaked a pic over hedge.)

This is my attempt to help you place buildings. All photos were taken from Public Foot Path that runs between Upchurch Poultry Farm (who own the site) and Tania,s paddocks.Excepting Bugalow taken from road

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 13:02:48 »
According to Saunders and Smith "Kent's Defence Heritage":
Wetham Green Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery
The site is divided into two broad components - the gun positions and command post and  to the south east of these, the domestic camp.
Three of the four original octagonal gun pits survive together with the command post, which was partially filled in after the war. Each gun pit has a central holdfast surrounded by six anmmunition lockers and concrete blast walls. The two later additional gun pits lie to the south west of the first group and are almost square concrete block structures. Air photos suggest that remains of the magazine and the platform for the gun laying radar might also survive.
The domestic camp lies 50 M to the south west of the gun site. It consists of a linear arrangement of accommodation huts and facilities such as kitchens, stores, ablution blocks and a NAAFI. The buildings are mainly constructed of red brick with asbestos covered walls. There are several Nissen huts in curved asbestos.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 18:58:18 »
This from PastScape.
A World War II Heavy Anti-aircraft gunsite and its domestic camp at Wetham Green, situated 460 metres north of Red Brick Cottage and circa 1km north of Upchurch village south of the River Medway. The gunsite, known as TS3 (Thames South 3) was part of a chain of batteries positioned to defend industrial and military targets in the Lower Thames and Medway areas from high flying strategic bombers approaching from the south and east. This gunsite was equipped with Gun Laying Radar and sources indicate that it was established by February 1940 and was armed with four 3.7 inch (mobile) Anti-aircraft guns by 1942. In 1944 the site was enlarged to accommodate two additional guns. It was manned by 284 Battery of the 90th Royal Artillery Regiment in 1942, and by 624 Battery of the 148th Mobile Royal Artillery Regiment in 1943. The domestic site which consists of accomodation huts and associated structures is situated circa 50 metres south east of the gun emplacements. This is one of only nine sites nationally to survive with its layout, including its domestic site, substantially intact. It was used as a Diver Battery in the Diver Box from 26th July 1944, when it was upgunned to six 3.7-inch guns, at which time it was manned by 269 Battery of the 148th (Mixed) Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 28 Anti Aircraft Artillery Brigade. Scheduled.

http://pastscape.english-heritage.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1362151&sort=2&type=&typeselect=c&rational=a&class1=None&period=1939
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

A Rare Find

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 21:30:59 »
A few 1980's photos, again access is discouraged by the current owners.
http://www.southeast-defencephotos.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=63&pos=0

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Upchurch A.A. Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 17:00:54 »
I didn't realise there was so much remaining.  I think it's quite rare to find so many billet huts!

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sjxmf2h1msg8&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24350073&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines