News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suicide of a Sentinel at Chatham Dockyard - 1841  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Suicide of a Sentinel at Chatham Dockyard - 1841
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 21:19:04 »
Certainly not the best way to kill yourself  (IF it really was sucide)

I don't know how hard it would be to shoot yourself in the head with a musket.....could be tricky ???

Not that I am an expert on muskets but I would imagine that held horizontally to the head it would be virtually impossible to reach the trigger with an extended arm whislt trying to support the weight with the other. far easier to use the method described although this lends an image of bending over the weapon and in
which instance how did it pass through the back of his neck?

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 18:58:59 »

I don't know how hard it would be to shoot yourself in the head with a musket.....could be tricky ???

Not as tricky as trying to explain this one from about 10 years back- a squaddie put his rifle to his stomach and fired, the  round passed through him, missing anything vital and the muzzle flash cauterized the wound!! How can you report that to the MO?

merc

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:42:17 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:15:29 »
Thats pretty much what went through my head, surely they knew that a shot to the chest was not a guarunteed death?  Or would it have been too difficult to have the gun pointed at something more certain like the head?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:04:48 »
How easy it must have been back then to set someone up for a self inflicted death!! So many people must have got off for terrible crimes..they were as clever back then as they are today, but today we look a lot deeper and have better tools of detection. I am not saying that someone took his life but,insane, easy verdict, I bet they would have been more thorough if it was an admiral !

merc

Suicide of a Sentinel at Chatham Dockyard - 1841
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 22:16:37 »
Thursday, January 28, 1841

Yesterday forenoon an inquest took place at Chatham,before Mr. Hind,Coroner, on view of the body of Joseph Martin Lakton,aged 31, a Private belonging to the 80th Regiment,who commited self-destruction under the following dreadful circumstances:

On Sunday night last,a detachment of the 80th Regiment,quartered in Chatham Garrison,were on duty in the dockyard.
At about a quarter before 3 o'clock on Monday morning the guard at the guard-house in the yard was alarmed by the discharge of fire-arms.
He imediatly gave information to the officer on duty,who directly,with a party of men,proceeded to ascertain the cause.
On arrival at Anchor Wharf,they were surprised in not perceiving the sentry at his post,and on a search being made,they discovered him lying in the sentry box,covered with blood,which was coming from his stomach and the back of his neck.
Medical assistance was instantly sent for,and the deceased was carried to the guard-house,where he was found to be dead.
It further appeared that the deceased had shot himself by placing the muzzle of his musket to his chest,and touching the trigger with the bayonet,the ball entered the pit of his stomach,passing out at the back of his neck,and through the top of the sentry box.
The deceased private had been of cheerful disposition,and on excellent terms with his comrades. No cause could be assigned for the perpetration of the rash act.
The jury,after some few observations from the Coroner,returned a verdict of "Insanity".

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines