The people listed below have all given up/sold a piece of their land for a good cause on the island in 1860. Who were they? Why did they own large chunks of land? What did they do to deserve roads names after some of them?
Charles Polson - 1874 Apr 11th Lord Of The Manor Of Minster chas Polson. 1875, APR 11 CHARLES POLSON LORD OF THE MANOR AT MINSTER. POLSON Charles, chemist & druggist & agent to the National Mercantile fire & life insurance, High St, Mile Town.
POLSON ELIZABETH, 36, 2 WEST STREET died 11/04/1869
Exors of T. T. Smithson -
SMITHSON MARY 33 15 EDWARD ST. 10/10/1874
Exors of Alston - c1617-1892: Kent (Minster in Sheppey). Alston close?
St Katherines Hospital - The owners at the time were the Royal Hospital of St. Katharine, a Royal Foundation of Nuns, whose original patron was Queen Matilda, wife of King Stephen. They had acquired the land (Queenborough) in the year 1392 by grant from John of Gaunt. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=3970&POSCATLN=6&POSCATID=869000&j=1
Revd Edward Moore
Baroness Wenman - Baroness Wenman was a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 3 June 1834 for Sophia Wykeham. The barony became extinct on her death on 9 August 1870.
Dumergue and others - Dumergue Ave, Queenborough.