Kent History Forum

News: 2/Lt. William Mackay Carlyle - Killed in action 26.10.16
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Queenborough Lines, Sheppey  (Read 4166 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
Re: Queenborough Lines, Sheppey
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 14:35:43 »

Offline Minsterboy

• Appreciation 37
    • lettersfromsheppey.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 19:11:15 »
I'm fairly certain that it was made of wood and was quite high, but things often seemed higher than they actually were when you were young.

Our school cross-country run used to take us along the canal, then what is now the Shingle Bank and then along the cliffs to the old searchlight at the top and then return the same way. I'm sure I can recall at least once doing part of the assault course by crawling through some pipes but I might of got that mixed up with wondering about out there outside of school.

david brown

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 19:06:05 »
Thamks Minsterboy for the information.
I take it it was a timber structure. I have not seen any photos of it

Offline Minsterboy

• Appreciation 37
    • lettersfromsheppey.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 18:52:11 »
The wall that you refer to wasn't in the middle of the canal, it was on the side of the canal, directly opposite Seager Road and was part of a practise assault course that was laid out on the Bartons Point firing range. They used to have to scale the back of the wall and jump into the canal and it was still there when I was at the Secondary school in the late 1950's. I'm sure that I remember the school at some also using part of the assault course in their cross-country runs.
You can still see the stumps of the wall's uprights against the bank.

david brown

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 18:01:30 »
Hi, I believe the building of the railway halted the works at the western end of the canal.
The fort as planned was never built nor was the battery which was to mirror that built at Bartons Point
I was talking to a friend the other day and he remembers the Marines going up over a wall in the middle of the canal opposite the Sea Cadet Unit
A boat was used to take the troops across to the firing range until the steel bridge was installed

Alan

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 21:57:15 »

Magazine near allotment's rear of Nursery Close Sheerness.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 22:18:09 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 20:36:02 »
The first one is the one in the pictures.  The second i think is something else and the third i have no idea.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 19:20:24 »
I thought you were talking about a bigger one, this was very small but where the football pitch is behind Queens Way it seems there was a larger one like the one further up the canal towards Barton's Point.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 19:15:27 »
That  is like the one I was talking about a couple of years ago behind Queensway, the RE blew it up about 1957/8 Pete

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 17:08:58 »
Along the canal/Lines near Edenbridge is the remains of a brick structure, which i believe was an expense magazine.  It is small with a vaulted roof and extremely thick walls.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 17:12:37 »
Each of the above mentioned sold a chunk of land to be developed into the Queenborough Lines, James Lake owned land near Westminster and this plan shows the proposal of a fort there.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 381
    • Sheppey History
Queenborough Lines, Sheppey
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 20:37:37 »
The people listed below have all given up/sold a piece of their land for a good cause on the island in 1860.  Who were they?  Why did they own large chunks of land?  What did they do to deserve roads names after some of them?

James Ward

Charles Polson - 1874 Apr 11th Lord Of The Manor Of Minster chas Polson.  1875, APR 11  CHARLES POLSON LORD OF THE MANOR AT MINSTER.  POLSON Charles, chemist & druggist & agent to the National Mercantile fire & life insurance, High St, Mile Town.  
POLSON ELIZABETH, 36, 2 WEST STREET died 11/04/1869

Exors of T. T. Smithson -
SMITHSON MARY   33   15 EDWARD ST.       10/10/1874

Exors of Alston - c1617-1892: Kent (Minster in Sheppey).  Alston close?
St Katherines Hospital - The owners at the time were the Royal Hospital of St. Katharine, a Royal Foundation of Nuns, whose original patron was Queen Matilda, wife of King Stephen. They had acquired the land (Queenborough) in the year 1392 by grant from John of Gaunt.  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=3970&POSCATLN=6&POSCATID=869000&j=1

Revd Edward Moore

James Lake

Baroness Wenman - Baroness Wenman was a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 3 June 1834 for Sophia Wykeham. The barony became extinct on her death on 9 August 1870.

Dumergue and others - Dumergue Ave, Queenborough.  

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines