News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hoverport, Dover  (Read 16155 times)

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Re: Hoverport, Dover
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 00:50:28 »
The old Hoverport at Dover in the process of being re-developed. The massive Hovercraft berthing on the concrete, ramp, once such a majestic sight, now just a fading memory. Taken 13 Apl 2016
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 19:13:15 »

The craft at Dover was the SRN1 built by Saunders Roe ( the N stands for Nautical) at East Cowes. I have memories as a child of seeing it on test around the Isle of Wight.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 11:23:41 »
1955 Dover harbour has witnessed some stirring sights in its long history as the gateway to England and this is among them. It shows an air cushioned vehicle or ACV which can travel by hovering over any relatively flat surface such as water, marsh or desert. Designed by Christopher Cockerell the unusual machine uses jets of air within a protective skirt to provide the necessary cushion. Mr Cockerell, 45, has been working on his invention since 1953. With his original working model he used a hair dryer and two tins. Eventually he hopes it will carry vehicles and passengers across the channel but sceptics say it will never catch on. Those who rushed to the harbour yesterday were certainly impressed with the ACV. A suggested name is a hovercraft.   From Kent a Chronicle of the Century by Bob Ogley.

Andy C

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 07:48:52 »
When did it get knocked down? I haven't been that way for a while. I worked there for several years from 2001 when Hoverspeed was struggling to stay afloat. I hope DHB can make the redevelopment a success.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 22:39:51 »
Here's the hovercrft prop at Dover's Transport Museum:

It's from one of the stretched hovercraft, either the Princess Margaret or the Princess Anne: the shorter hovercraft's prop blades were narrower.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline de Mol

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 16:38:17 »
Thank you for the link Islesy!
Although I must have crossed the Channel over a hundred times,I funnily enough never
used the Hovercraft Service.I can remember people saying that when conditions were
"slightly" rough the journey was very uncomfortable,so I always took the Ferry.
Thinking back one could write a Book about the experiences crossing the Channel
Strikes,Storms,Breakdowns,Icing on the Ship etc,etc. :)

de Mol.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:53:52 »
De Mol, the transcript of an article I wrote about a year ago on the history of the hovercraft is here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2309.0 which I hope answers your question.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

WildWeasel

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 20:15:16 »
I definatley used the Hovercraft in 1996 and 1997 possibly 1998...I had customers in Lyon and Basel so used to drive to Dover take the  over to Calais & pick up a rental car....Great fun !!!
My favourite trip was 31-Aug-1991 My Stag day !
Took an early morning Hover to Calais and got very drunk...My "mates" removed all of my clothes on Calais beach and buried them in the sand...
Luckily I found them before the return trip..
Happy days !!!

WW

Offline de Mol

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 17:14:24 »
Great pictures as usual Islesy and  colin.
When did Operations at the Hoverport stop?

de Mol.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:33 »
Some shots from shortly after SpeedFerries went bust, leaving the Hoverport derelict.

Interesting that DHB have demolished the building, ready I suppose for the re-development of the area as a marina. I'm sure there is some controversy here though, I seem to remember something about this land belonging to the people of Dover, and not the Harbour Board. I'll need to check back through my notes later on.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 23:12:34 »
I was working at the hoverport the morning after the crash. It was awful. My workmate's dad was the captain aswell and they passed all the blame onto him: their most experienced pilot. I will never forget that day.
 I took some photos but they're much the same as the ones on that site.

One of the four victims of the crash was a French Gentleman and his car was stored in our import freight shed. A couple of months after the accident a huge consignmenet of potted flowers was left in our shed and I never knew they were there until the Gentleman's wife came to collect the car... I opened the doors to reveal the car completely covered in flowers. She broke-down in tears in front of me. I was 18.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

LenP

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 22:49:46 »
Wow! That's the best thing about this forum. I've never heard of this museum before.

Opening Times
"October to Easter" - Sundays only
Winter Sunday opening  11.00  to 15.00
  ( or when it gets dark and cold!!)

I'll be putting a sunday aside in the not too distant future to have a look.

Thanks Unfairytale!

Monkton Malc

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 22:48:46 »
Would it be a memorial to the four people who were killed when the Princess Margaret hit the breakwater on 30th March 1985?

Pictures here.. http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/accident.html

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 22:43:09 »
They left the prop there because the hovercraft museum wanted it but I heard that it's rusted in place.
 There's another hovercraft prop outside the Dover transport museum.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 21:58:16 »
Was the propeller left as some sort of memorial?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines