News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Yard Craft  (Read 13414 times)

Joedest

Re: Sheerness Yard Craft
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 20:54:23 »

The picture shops the Paddle Ship (sorry can't remember the name) which used to ply from the
 Cornwalis jetty each day to take dockyard workers to the various ships in the harbour she also called at the
 floating dock,

At night she would take the workers back to the dockyard. I rode on her many times and when approaching the jetty the workers would crowd to one side ready to get off, making steering very difficult. Yes she was one of the Yard Craft.

Joedest

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 20:49:53 »
The picture shops the Paddle Ship (sorry can't remember the name) which used to ply from the Cornwallis jetty each day to take dockyard workers to the various ships in the harbour, she also called at the floating dock.
At night she would take the workers back to the dockyard. I rode on her many times and when approaching the jetty the workers would crowd to one side ready to get off, making steering very difficult. The Captain would shout "Spread Out".
Yes, she was one of the Yard Craft.

david brown

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:24:12 »
Possibly, I will ask my friend who was in the yard craft

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:30:09 »
Is this the German floating dock that was scrapped ?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

david brown

Sheerness Yard Craft
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 21:46:17 »
Photo of two tugs working with the Floating Dock with Garrison Fort in the back ground

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines