News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Auxiliary Fire Service Posts in Chatham/Luton.  (Read 8210 times)

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
Re: Auxiliary Fire Service Posts in Chatham/Luton.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:49:58 »
The air raid shelters were where the newer houses are that have garages in the front gardens, right at the end of the road where it goes onto the field.

The main Christchurch school was where that housing estate (Maida Road) is behind the flats and Co-op on Luton Road. The annex was at the end of Reform Road where the bunglaows are now on the corner of Grove Road.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 19:54:33 »
pheasant road is alongside Luton school. where abouts would the air raid shelters be?

is there any chance of u uploading that map rossco?

and grove road, i heard there was a school there, where the william hill bookies is, never knew there were two

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 17:12:42 »
Hi Rossco.

Thank you for the info. Pheasant Road has come up before so it looks as though that may well be one of the sub stations. Unfortunately, no records exist for Chatham AFS only the NFS (post Aug '41) and many AFS sub-stations were closed or relocated.

Thanks again,
 AFS Rochester, Brent.

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 13:30:49 »
Looking on some old maps there was a couple of schools (Junior and Infant?) on Pheasant Road which was previously War Department land. The Coney Banks adjacent to this was WD land too. Coincidentally, directly opposite the school are 5 air raid shelters which is the first time Ive actually seen air raid shelters labelled on an OS map!

There were also 2 schools on Grove Road called Christchurch Juniors, these only appear on post-war maps though - on a 1940 map its marked as allotments but has a large number of buildings to be allotments.

Last of all is All Saints at the bottom of Magpie Hall Road.

Hope this helps!

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:01:54 »
Chatham Girl-85.

Many thanks for the information. :)

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 19:50:07 »
at the top of ordnance st is called semple gardens, i know there was a school at the top of balfour road, which was called highfields, but thats a different road.

just 'googling' and found this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/38/a2714438.shtml

according to this, that school was highfields

if u find out about anymore i would be interested in knowing where they were 'cos chatham is where i live.
thanks

good luck in ur search

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 15:22:05 »
Thanks Chatham Girl-85.

That is actually a slight re-vamp of part of my booklet that I wrote about 5 years ago. Steve Rayner (who runs the Medway Memories site) is a very "old!" friend of mine and he used my booklet as a basis for this particular article. see credit note at the bottom. Thank you for looking anyway. I'm told that there was an AFS sub-station at one of the schools in Luton but I don't know which one. I do know that there was one at the School at the top of Ordnance Street (now demolished and built on).
Thanks, Brent.

Chatham_Girl85

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Auxiliary Fire Service Posts in Chatham/Luton.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:35:39 »
I would be most grateful if any members can help me with the above please. Some of these would have been based at Schools, but I am particularly interested in Luton as I am currently researching an AFS Fireman Frederick Frank Ryder who lived in Henry Street and was killed at Shorts on the Esplande in April 1941.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines