News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canterbury Castle  (Read 5479 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Canterbury Castle
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 15:16:40 »
Branding sounds about right, but they were a blood thirsty lot back then were they not. Something else I noticed whilst reading these books..if you had a few bob you got off quite light, if you were poor...god help you!

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 14:56:05 »
Just checked on the Capital Punishment site and burning at the stake was onl used for heresey and high Treason for men and that plus petty treason for women. Petty treason was murder of husband or master/mistress as they were superior to the woman. So looks like burning meant branding. In Gent there is a display in the castle of all the last execuutioners tools, including branding irons, hatchets for amputations etc.

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 13:00:51 »
I'd favour branding. Transportation had the hidden agenda of building a population rather than a punishment so any chance to get another "tourist" was grabbed..

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 12:42:56 »
The other were hung so I assumed they were burnt at a stake although branding could be the case..it does not state which I am afraid. Looking further in the book it states branding at maidstone so that could be the case..seemed very very harsh to me though. Some slight crimes got severe sentances right into the 19th century. Two of my relatives at Pagham near Bognor Sussex were transported one for staling a Duck..yes one duck..the other for being a machine breaker (felonies)..two girls were also sent..Thomas was sent to Australia and William to Tasmania..but that is another story.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:14:55 »
They do seem rather harsh!

Couple of pics from me.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:14:11 »
Burnt ?  meaning branding rather than at the stake?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:04:54 »
Was having a look through one of my Kent sources books and came across this Re Canterbury Castle..

At the general sessions of the peace of our Lord the King held at Canterbury Castle in the county afforesaid on Tuesday next after the feast of the Epiph..etc The year 1626.

Elias Chapman late of Godnestone in the County aforesaid, laborer,for a robberie. To be hung.

Anthony Stoakes of the same, laborer, for the like. To be hung, reprieved after judgement.

Mark Dobson, late of hernehill in the county aforesaid, husbandsman, for three sheepe, To be burnt.

John Keyne late of Hollicrosse Westgate, laborer, for a purse and 3s. 8d. To be burnt

John Lowe late of Newman, laborer, for divers goods. To be burnt.

Holloway May late of Birchington within the Isle of Thanett, laborer, for a cowe. To be burnt.

Very harsh for the crimes.

Andy C

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 18:17:30 »
Been here a couple of times with my kids. The last time I went there it was a Saturday and the local yoofs were throwing bits of fallen down wall at it and climbing up the interior walls and being generally disrespectful. At least it doesn't cost anything to have a look around and is quite a nice time killer if the yoofs aren't there. Worth a visit but not on a Saturday.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
Canterbury Castle
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 22:13:40 »
Had a quick look round Canterbury Castle today while waiting for the car to have a MOT.
Pictures aren't great has I only had my phone.

There is a good write up here:
http://www.canterburytrust.co.uk/schools/keysites/castle.htm

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines