News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daughter of the Empire - Frinsted Churchyard  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: Daughter of the Empire - Frinsted Churchyard
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 20:05:51 »
Thanks for the update Bryn. I have a photo of the Frinstead grave somewhere, before it was leaning so far over. I went to see if the headstone for theWW 1 German Gotha Pilots that were buried there had been retained after they were reintered at the German War Cemetry at Cannock Chase.
I couldn`t see it anywhere so I presume it was removed circa 1956 when the bodies were removed

Took some pictures of the interior today but am having dire trouble posting them. Keeps telling me that "The Web Page cannot be displayed" but I`ll get there in the end (I hope).

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 19:48:36 »
Thanks for the update Bryn. I have a photo of the Frinstead grave somewhere, before it was leaning so far over. I went to see if the headstone for theWW 1 German Gotha pilot Vfw Albrecht Sachtler, and, Lieutenant Joachim Flathow, observer/A/C Captain that were buried there had been retained after they were reintered at the German War Cemetry at Cannock Chase.
I couldn`t see it anywhere so I presume it was removed circa 1956 when the bodies were removed

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 19:02:26 »
While looking around Frinsted Churchyard I thought I better photograph this grave before the H & S busybodies insist its dangerous and it disappears. It`s got quite a lean on.

granderog, you`ll be pleased to know that it`s still there and still leaning.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:07 »
Hi Yukon,
                http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5659.0 by Kyn  scroll down.

They stood their ground as cool and bold
On that disastrous day,
And fought like warriors, we are told,
Till all were cut away.
In memory we shall sacred keep
The men that fell that day.
Tho far in Zululand they sleep,
Their souls have soared away
Upon the golden crown.
Gazing with eager breath
He fought as one who fain would
And, dying, conquered death.
                                                                Regards Rog

yukon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 20:43:15 »
Granderog might know that there is a very interesting and quite large monument in Bredgar Churchyard.   It stands in the south-west corner, under a yew tree.

It is in memory of a local man - a soldier who died in the massacre at Isandlwhana, in January 1879.                                                           

All my life this monument has been gradually tipping further over to the south.   I doubt that it will stand for many more years.   It has a three-verse poem made of inset lead lettering on one face of the base.   The first verse reads: (If I remember correctly)    "They stood their ground so cool and bold, On that disastrous day.  And fought like warriors, we are told,  'Till all were cut away.   

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Daughter of the Empire - Frinsted Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 19:04:47 »
While looking around Frinsted Churchyard I thought I better photograph this grave before the H & S busybodies insist its dangerous and it disappears. It`s got quite a lean on.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines