News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Old School House, 48 Church Road, Willesborough, Ashford, Kent  (Read 5012 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: The Old School House, 48 Church Road, Willesborough, Ashford, Kent
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 20:04:20 »
 :)

wbutcheruk2

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 13:59:40 »
Hello, Yes please some old photos would be great.
thank you. I wonder if the grave stone in nextdoors front garden is anything to do with him. From memory it only has a date on it, no names.

ehrhardt

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:31:46 »
My maternal grandfather, Henry Cuthbert Ovenden, was headmaster of a National School in Willesborough from 1909 until his death in 1937, and my mother was brought up in what she always called "School House". If this is the same place, I can probably dig out some old photos which might identify it - or what it looked like in the early part of the last century!

wbutcheruk2

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:01:21 »
Found out that my neightbour has done reearch on the building, so will take a look and maybe post some information for all to read, or Philo might post.

Wyvelesberg

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 16:30:59 »
The old Willesborough School was built at the Lees in 1873 and enlarged in 1882 as the population of Willesborough grew partly due to the SE railway works. Beforehand, an older school was based in Church Road, Willesborough which was at first a Sunday School and then became a National School.
The best place to look for more info would be the various trade directories which give the amount of children at the school as well as the Headmaster and Mistress also old maps of the parish. The historian, Igglesden also mentions the school briefly in his series of books on Kent villages. Not sure if any building plans exist, but it might be worth looking in the Kent Archives either at Maidstone or Canterbury.
Hope this helps.

wbutcheruk2

The Old School House, 48 Church Road, Willesborough, Ashford, Kent
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 23:52:26 »
Hello,

I have not long moved into this building which was converted a while back from the the old school house into 5 houses. I am led to believe that the house we live in was the caretaker's flat. Above next door's front door states the national school 1800's. I was wondering if any one knows the history of this building and where i might find the information about it. I have searched the web and am drawing blanks, any insights please?

cheers.

Wayne.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines