News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Curious Drinking Fountain.....  (Read 4839 times)

BONZO

Re: Curious Drinking Fountain.....
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 16:10:20 »
OK... so why do the fountains in Godwin road and Connaught Hill have an identical metal pin thing on the left hand side, splitting the stone into 4 pieces?

That's where the drinking cup was attached to the wall by a chain, obviously long gone.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:53 »
OK... so why do the fountains in Godwin road and Connaught Hill have an identical metal pin thing on the left hand side, splitting the stone into 4 pieces?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:29:30 »
No.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:11:14 »
Do these fountains still work, or are they turned  off due to health and safety. One thing I am curious about..some of these fountains are very old in fact the water quality was very poor once, do you think they caused problems with water born illness? In Victorian times a lot of people including children drank brewed Ginger Beer and the Light Dinner Ales instead of water beacause of water quality.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:03:20 »
Here's one in Connaught Park Dover.

The inscription reads
"The gift of E.F. Astley M.D. 1883"

Dr. E.F. Astley was Chairman of the committee responsible for laying out the first part of Connaught Park. He was Mayor 1858-9 during which time he opened at his own expense an Isolation Hospital at Edred Road. Dover. He also paid for the organ in Connaught Hall. He has a Dover Street, Astley Avenue, named after him.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:54:29 »
In Memoriam Fratris (in memory of my Brother)
N (or H). A.C. 1879.

Theres another identical fountain at Godwin road but It says In Memorandum Matris (Mother) initials are E.C.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Curious Drinking Fountain.....
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 23:48:38 »
.... at least I think that's what it is! Then again, it may be a water pump. Set in the wall of the Connaught Hill Waterworks at the top of the old Turnpike Road (Zig Zag Path) in Dover is this Water Fountain. It has a marble back on which is the following description:

In Memorium
Fratris
HAC

I think that translates as "In memory", "Daughter (or Niece?)", "Here", "1879" - there are no other inscriptions, and I can't find any reference to it.

Can anyone help me please?

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines