News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bluetown n Sheerness  (Read 3448 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Bluetown n Sheerness
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 21:22:00 »
There's some photos of the Zulus, in 1958, @
http://www.hmsgangestoterror.org/RNB/SheernessDyd.htm

derrydale

Bluetown n Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:18:36 »
When I visit Sheppey on the new bridge it isn't until I reach the boating lake that memories of Bluetown and Sheerness come flooding back. Many people ask me what attracts me back to such a place.

Simple, I was born there, raised there and spent my youth there. There was always a feeling of togetherness, we are all in this ...... Memories of not having to lock ones door like today, neighbours helping each other and taking an afternoon cuppa together. Memories of the ice cream seller coming along the road on his three wheeled bicycle, orange juice from the milkman, cakes from the guy delivering bread and cakes.

Visiting Bluetown over that dreaded moate (I hated the water, and still do!) running up to the Hovis bread shop for my nan's tea and having a cake and not having to pay for it (So I thought, it was 'on the slate'). Running upto Milway's shop for some sweets from the rows of jars, or broken biscuits ..... Exploring in the rubble in East Lane and climbing up the wall to look into Weir Marsh; Running up Mays alley or Sheppey Street. There was always something to do in Bluetown, places to go, people to see, shopping to do for me nan. So many people knew me but I didn't know them. Going upto me nan's yard to feed the chickens or dig some taties.

Where I lived in Sheeness (Second Avenue) we could play whatever we liked and didn't bother anyone. Big bonfires on bonfire night and blackened taties at the end.

The carnival day, the zulu's coming ashore in the afternoon, the parade, to the VC with family for a Vimto n crisps before upto to the seafront for the fireworks.

Memories amany come flooding back when I go home, well maybe its not my home now, but in my heart it is!

Best Wishes,
Derek

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines